Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HomeWork----- SESTENA!!

Options
  • 14-01-2009 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Probably the wrong place for this but is linked to the leaving cert!!! I really need someones help!

I know,I know....HOMEWORK IN FOURTH YEAR!!!!!!confused.gifeek.gif

Tell me about it!!!!

English- Our teacher is persisting in giving homework out for EVERY class, ESPECIALLY FOURTH/TRANSITION years!!!! I + everyone else, HATE IT....and now she has given us an impossible thing to do!!! A sestena!!! 37 line poem, 6 6line verses and 1 3 line verse at the end. Each 6 line verse has to have 6 KEY words that end the line, and must be used throughout the poem!!!! IT ALL SOUNDS VERY COMLICATED........and.......TRUST ME..... IT IS!!!!

Ok, so if anyone has one of their own sestena(poem) /or knows someone who does could they please post it here, because i have tried 4-5 times to do one, and i get 1 verse done and...thats it!!!

*i wait in anxiety for some one to post a sestena!!!

ANY HELP GREATLY ACCEPTED ASWELLbiggrin.gif
    pacman.gifmad.giffrown.gifeek.gifconfused.gif

Comments

Be creative. It'll take a lot more then 5 attempts to get one that works, never mind one that's any good. Just keep at it and it'll come. You won't get any benefit out of somebody else doing it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Probably the wrong place for this but is linked to the leaving cert!!! I really need someones help!

I know,I know....HOMEWORK IN FOURTH YEAR!!!!!!confused.gifeek.gif

Tell me about it!!!!

English- Our teacher is persisting in giving homework out for EVERY class, ESPECIALLY FOURTH/TRANSITION years!!!! I + everyone else, HATE IT....and now she has given us an impossible thing to do!!! A sestena!!! 37 line poem, 6 6line verses and 1 3 line verse at the end. Each 6 line verse has to have 6 KEY words that end the line, and must be used throughout the poem!!!! IT ALL SOUNDS VERY COMLICATED........and.......TRUST ME..... IT IS!!!!

Ok, so if anyone has one of their own sestena(poem) /or knows someone who does could they please post it here, because i have tried 4-5 times to do one, and i get 1 verse done and...thats it!!!

*i wait in anxiety for some one to post a sestena!!!

1 I think its meant to be Sestina :p

There is a Elizabeth Bishop poem called Sestina (bizzarely it uses the sestina form......) it might be worth a look, its on the LC course.

This might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...I know,I know....HOMEWORK IN FOURTH YEAR!!!!!!confused.gifeek.gif

Tell me about it!!!!

English- Our teacher is persisting in giving homework out for EVERY class, ESPECIALLY FOURTH/TRANSITION years!!!!

So?

Where does it say that you don't/shouldn't get homework in 4th/Transition year??

Transition Year is a year out, not a year off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Depends on the school

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cglanton123

Fair point......but it is really hard, as you probably know from experience??

but i really need help with it!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

My friend and i went for a walk
    my friend to me she would not talk
    i said to her 'what's wrong with you'
    she said 'ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh'
    i said 'ok then be like that'
    she said to me 'hat'

and so we continued on our walk
    so i decided i would not talk
    she said to me 'i hate you'
    i said 'ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh'
    she said 'i have a cat like that'
    i said to her 'hat'

we soon got home after our walk
    to our parents we would not talk
    they said to us 'what's wrong with you'
    we said 'ooooooohhhhhhhhhh'
    they said 'do you want sauce with that?'
    we said to them 'i'd rather eat my hat'

we both felt tired after our walk
    to ourselves we started to talk
    we said in the mirror 'i like you'
    the mirror said 'ooooooohhhhhhhhhh'
    we said to the mirror 'fek that'
    then we put on our hat

out in the sun for another walk
    a lovely day, time to talk
    we met and whispered 'i love you'
    nobody said 'ooooooohhhhhhhhh'
    we said 'what was that?'
    and bought eat other a hat

early to bed after a long walk
    on the phone we texted our talk
    final text – 'i love you'
    nobody texted 'ooooooohhhhhhhh'
    off to sleep just like that
    on the floor lay our hat

lovely dreams sweet sweet sweet
    no bedclothes tossed nice and neat
    friendship is an amazing feat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

just google one and wack it down on the page :D Your in TY cheat away, its not like they ask you to write a poem in the leaving cert :D

thank you very much for the sestina! :D

much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

thank you very much for the sestina! :D

much appreciated.

no prob but on reflection i don't think it is a sestina.....i thought 6 key words had to be at the end of the relevant line in each verse but now after thinking about it i think they are supposed to be randomly mentioned throughout the poem....i never heard of a sestina so can't be of any more help. sorry :confused:

pathway33 wrote: »
    no prob but on reflection i don't think it is a sestina.....i thought 6 key words had to be at the end of the relevant line in each verse but now after thinking about it i think they are supposed to be randomly mentioned throughout the poem....i never heard of a sestina so can't be of any more help. sorry :confused:

its a sestina alright but just needs to be tweeked slightly :p the 6 key words should be placed in a different order in each verse.

e.g .......window, cat,dog,moon,shoe,father in first verse should switch to father,moon,dog,shoe,window,cat. but dont worry ill find sumthing to tweak it :D
    but hey, Thanks so much for this:D

• Advertisement

yeah....that was my first instinct, but, shes a crafty teacher and has already done so,,,,so she knows which ones are on there(vast majority of them anyway).
    If only it was that simple!

Advertisement