Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Gay heroes / heroines these days

Options
  • 14-01-2009 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

or are games still a gay free zone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

I'd be more worried about games getting their portrayal of women right first before something like homosexuality even comes into play (hur and indeed hur). Granted that's getting a little better, but we have a ways to go yet. As depressing as it is I can't think of even one gay hero or heroine. The two lead female charachters in Fear Effect 2 had a bit of, er action between themselves I believe, but they were hardly heroic charachters, and they aren't exactly positive examples of a healthy lesbian relationship, just titillation(there I go again, waheeeeyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!etc....)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Master Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Isn't Snake from Metal Gear gay?. I heard he got that eye patch from teabagging some dude?.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only really good portrayal of homosexual characters I've seen so far has been in Valkyria Chronicles. They aren't exactly the heros but you can recruit so gay and lesbian characters to your squad. It's a pretty mature game were the female characters and in particular the female leads are portrayed in a very positive sense and not as sex symbols. The females are very strong characters. Still the is one recruitable character who is a big muscular man with eyeshadow and a very camp voice. Suppose you have to cover all your stereotypes. Still it's a massive step forward for games in general in this regard and even has a very strong theme of racism in it that I haven't seen handled well in videogames other than Final Fantasy X.

Sorry if that was a bit off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I heard you can be gay in Fable 2. If you are playing a male you can bring home guys for some sex, or the opposite for females.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

orly? might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

That whole section with Cloud getting his drag costume, especially the part obtaining the Bikini Briefs from Mukki, in Final Fantasy VII.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bully/Cannis Canem Edit. He was gay.

Then of course you had The Ambiguously Gay Duo, but that was a MadTV cartoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Tingle, in all likelihood.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,428 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think there is a better game narrative about male bonding and macho man love than Gears of War.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,279 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

male bonding isnt necessarily gay. in fact our forefathers would tell us its the farthest thing from it.

Overheal wrote: »
    male bonding isnt necessarily gay. in fact our forefathers would tell us its the farthest thing from it.

There's male bonding and then there's Gears of War.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's male bonding and then there's Gears of War.

"Queers of War"

:P

Sorry, I couldnt resist!

Fieldog wrote: »
    "Queers of War"

Genius

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

koneko wrote: »
    Tingle, in all likelihood.

Surely

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Fieldog wrote: »
    "Queers of War"

A pun at its best,

I tip my hat to you, love a good pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Lesbeans r hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I played an RPG for the GBA called Summon Night, if you play as a girl in the game your summon monster is gay, bit weird as it is a game rated E rather than M.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

In Temple of Elemental Evil you can be gay, if you choose to marry a particular character.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

If you play as a woman in Mass Effect, you can be gay.

You can be gay as a man too, but Alenko doesn't swing that way, so expect to end up lonely.

• Advertisement

The Sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Mario and Luigi are clearly closet homosexuals. I mean they are one step away from wearing leather hats and chaps :D

70369.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Oh of course, left4dead has subtle gay undertones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

In the smackdown vs raw season you can edit the fighters entrance which can make for some very gay and hilarious things. like Triple H coming down with one of the girls entrances and he is prancing around and doing cartwheels and stuff. comedy gold!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    In the smackdown vs raw season you can edit the fighters entrance which can make for some very gay and hilarious things. like Triple H coming down with one of the girls entrances and he is prancing around and doing cartwheels and stuff. comedy gold!:D

Wrestling games are a given though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Voljin classic grabs balls action is the only thing i have ever seen in video game history lol

wait,handsome Leon who failed to get laid 3 times in our record too is also a potential gay....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I remember that Link was voted as a gaming Gay icon by a US gay mag a couple of years ago:
    From the mag: "When darkness enshrouds the land, Nintendo's sexy farm-boy-turned-wolf sets out to save the day in this upcoming game. His weapons: a sword, a bow, arrows, and kick-ass grooming skills."

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/thelegendofzelda/news.html?sid=6151905&cpage=7

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well considering that racial stereotyping and the crass, sexist representation of women is still prevalent, if not as happily married to the culture as ever, I wouldn't get any hopes of a fair, mature treatment of homosexuals in games (bar stuff like Fear Effect 2 which tbh falls into the previous category of the depiction of women to titillate the male gamer).

It's a sad reality but the market is driven by what the developer think is still the core demographic, ie, lusty young males; so first of all gaming needs to get rid of the image that it considers women to be nothing more than under-dressed sluts (and conversely, that busty women are needed to sell games).

Until then, it's a bit much to expect gamers to display any maturity about homosexuality (I know previous posters are only teasing, but the jokes above do somewhat prove this :)) when gaming shows an even poorer grasp of mature heterosexuality.

In my opinion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Ah sure gays don't play games anyways, they'd be too busy worrying about fashion and the x-factor:p

Nah but honestly the lesbian aspect in mass effect is decent enough. But I suppose male gay gamers didnt get any options in that game.

But I mean what should they do? Have characters go to gay bars during the game? Theres not all that many movies that feature male gay love scenes and those that do are movies about relationships and comedies etc.

Your not gonna see it often in action movies where the hero blows up a building full of bad guys and then goes home to fck his boyfriend. And games are generally action. I think they'd pretty much have to build a game around the fact that the character is gay cause instead of having generic shooter 1004 and "oh yeah the main character is gay" and that's all you'd hear of it. I'd assume there'd be pressure to feature a gay relationship into the game.

So RPGs would really be the most likely genera they'd do it in I'd say, where the player makes the character whatever way they want. They'd just need a game where the theres gay male characters in it also for the player to have a relationship with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Imagine if the daily mail got hold of a story about a gay game.

"VIDEO GAMES MAKE YOUR KIDS GAY SHOCKER! - BAN THIS SICK FILTH!"

Advertisement