Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ELEVEN CHARGED OVER CAMPBELL CHANTS

• 14-01-2009 2:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4788237,00.html
    Police have charged 11 people with indecent chanting at a football match.

They were arrested in connection with alleged racist and homophobic chanting towards Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell during a match against Tottenham at Fratton Park on September 28 last year.

The 11, including three juveniles, have been bailed by police to appear at Portsmouth Magistrates' Court on January 20.

A Hampshire police spokeswoman said a further five men captured in photographs taken at the game were still being sought.

Those charged are Dean Nelson, 23, of Southbury Road, Enfield, north London; Bradley Barnes, 35, of Malmesbury Park Road, Bournemouth, Dorset; Oliver Silvester, 28, of High Street, Southampton, Hampshire; Stuart Turner, 34, of Queen Street, Wellington, Telford, Shropshire; Richard Allen Gibbs, 35, of Ormonde Road, Wokingham, Berkshire; Ian Trow, 48, of Kingshill Drive, Deans Hanger, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire; Keith Stevens, 54, of Portland Close, Hailsham, East Sussex and Joe Turner, 18, of The Lindons, Langdon Hills, Basildon, Essex.

The three youths charged were a 15-year-old from Winchmore Hill, north London, a 15-year-old from Purley, Surrey, and a 13-year-old from Deans Hanger, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire.

The police spokeswoman added no further action would be taken against another man, aged 18, from Essex.

It is nice to see that the police trying to clamp down on this sort of "fan" behaviour. Campbell has been through this alot. Give the guy a break, he just wants to play football!!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

great to see this

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

mayordenis wrote: »
    great to see this

+1

I laughed when Wexford Youths were called "funboys" for wearing pink jerseys, but what Campbell's been subjected to is pushing things way too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

i am glad they are clamping down on racism and i'm not defending anyone who chants

however i'm not sure how you can prove that someone is singing just based on a photo or two , and i would hope if i was in that position any decent solicitor could get me off - i suppose since its before the courts i shouldnt really comment - but i think the chance of any jurors reading boards is minimal.

An File wrote: »
    +1

I laughed when Wexford Youths were called "funboys" for wearing pink jerseys, but what Campbell's been subjected to is pushing things way too far.

lol agreed there's two main differences

1. one is clearly poking fun and one is just a personal attack.
    2. A full Team/Club vs. One man who's career/life is just getting back on track after some fairly bad personal issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I agree, there is a place for banter and taking the piss out of players but what Sol Campbell has been been through was over the mark.
    Like get over it he moved to Arsenal about 6-7 years ago!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Excellent timing regarding the 11 fellows being charged, just before the return fixture :rolleyes:

As a matter of interest most (probably all) away fans when at White Hart Lane shout various "Yido" chants in reference to Spurs' jewish culture, should
    the police start charging them too????
    AFAIK the spurs fans have been singing that same chant for a few years now?
    Why all of a sudden is it causing so much controversy

A lot of it is to do with the trashy tabloids that from time to time jump on moral bandwagons and things just snowball from there, example that whole Andrew Sachs affair.

I dont think Yido or Yids is a racsit remark. And I dont see any controversy about it.

Excellent timing regarding the 11 fellows being charged, just before the return fixture :rolleyes:

As a matter of interest most (probably all) away fans when at White Hart Lane shout various "Yido" chants in reference to Spurs' jewish culture, should
    the police start charging them too????
    AFAIK the spurs fans have been singing that same chant for a few years now?
    Why all of a sudden is it causing so much controversy

A lot of it is to do with the trashy tabloids that from time to time jump on moral bandwagons and things just snowball from there, example that whole Andrew Sachs affair.

Firstly it's not a trashy tabloid story it's a decent guy get torn apart,
    I'm not familiar with the term Yido but if it is some sort of anti-semetic jibe then yes there should be something done,
    Ok if I was murdering people for years and they cops now only started taking action would that mean they should just do nothing?

As a society we're not staying in the stone age's and while a football ground is somewhere that you can still be relatively "yobbish" we're quite quickly moving away from that.

Harping on at people about there personal life, anything racist, anti-semetic, xenophbic, homophobic is no longer acceptable in a public forum.

So stop trying to take the moral Immoral High ground and accept that this is not longer going to be ok. It is infact scum of the highest order.

Edit// Oh and whats with the ****in rolleyes there? It's like reminding people not to drink drive on a bank holiday - it is the perfect timing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

jank wrote: »
    I dont think Yido or Yids is a racsit remark. And I dont see any controversy about it.

The word Yid (Yiddish: ייִד, pronounced [jid]) is a slang Jewish ethnonym. Its usage may be controversial in modern English language. It is not offensive when pronounced /ˈjiːd/ (rhyming with deed), the way Yiddish-speakers say it. When pronounced /ˈjɪd/ (rhyming with did), it can generally be perceived as a pejorative—and is used as a derogatory epithet by antisemites.[1]

Supporters of Tottenham Hotspur F.C. adopted a nickname "Yid" (or "Yiddo") and often identify as "Yid Army". Used as a badge of pride, such usage is not without a controversy

Wiki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

The Yid thing would be racist in any other context, but I really don't think it's applicable in terms of Spurs.

For one thing, it's a label that the club's fans have always been quite proud of, and one that's not an insult to them.

There's no parallel between the Yid chants anyway, and vicious personal and homophobic abuse aimed at an individual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

First off I wasn't trying to take the immoral high ground here, I was also trying to expand the topic

I think you might have misinterpreted my questions as me not agreeing with the 11 fellows being charged, Im quite happy to see action being taken.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    Harping on at people about there personal life, anything racist, anti-semetic, xenophbic, homophobic is no longer acceptable in a public forum.

Agreed

But IMO there are a lot worse cases of immoral chanting than those song sung by Spurs fans.
    After a quick google search I came up with this one below

"Sing a song for Chelsea and how they lost the cup,
    they took the game to penalties and Terry ****ed it up,
    the players looked like Avram, the players looked so glum,
    me I haven't laughed so much since Lampard lost his mum!"

WTF???

Then there's that Harold Shipman chant that Liverpool supports sing that I wont repeat. These chants are a hell of a lot worse than what Campbell had to put up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

True.

I think a lot of what's chanted tends to be too far. I think in this case, it's the fact that it's discriminatory in nature that leads to the trouble. The Man City airplane chant is vile, but it doesn't discriminate against anyway...

True, those songs are very bad taste.
    However, what makes this case slightly different is that these are directed at a player not a club. Singling out a player for constant abuse is what this case is about and in fairness campbell has had his fair share of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

named and shamed :)

Advertisement