Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Look what you coulda won... (Draft ommissions thread)

• 14-01-2009 2:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

So we're done and dusted with regards to picks so I think a thread to discuss who was overlooked is necessary.

These players were on my shortlist but didn't get picked -

Mark Schwarzer
    Tony Dorigo
    Eirik Bakke
    Alan Thompson
    Marc Vivien Foe
    Stuart Ripley
    Jason Dodd

Frankly, I'm stunned that Schwarzer didn't get picked and we should all hang our heads in shame. Seeing that makes me really regret picking a goalkeeper in the first round.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Gianluca Vialli is better than all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Players I was very close to picking that didn't make it:

Neil Ruddock
    Frank Sinclair
    Jesper Gronkjaer
    Anders Limpar
    Gilles Grimandi
    Oleg Luzhny
    Brian McClair
    Vladimir Smicer
    Igor Biscan
    Darren Huckerby

Patrick Berger on the Left wing would of been a great shout aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Phil Neville
    Garry Flitcroft
    Brett Emerton
    Georgi Kinkladze
    Simon Davies

Also + 1 for Vialli.

Also maybe throw together the best XI of the scraps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Phil Neville
    Garry Flitcroft
    Brett Emerton
    Georgi Kinkladze
    Simon Davies

Also + 1 for Vialli.

Also maybe throw together the best XI of the scraps?

He didn't play enough games to qualify unfortunatley, otherwise I'd have picked him in round 1.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He didn't play enough games to qualify unfortunatley, otherwise I'd have picked him in round 1.

Yeah I wondering through the draft why you hadn't picked him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Dalien Atkinson is still being overlooked, even in this!
    Dean Saunders too, was Julian Joachim picked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Danny Mills!

Zinedene Kilbane

Danny Mills!

Lol after the last 4 or 5 years I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Might as well pick Winston Bogarde!

Was Mario Stanic picked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The one I regret not picking is John Hartson. Also Crespo, Sissoko and Hitzlesperger

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Also Crespo, Sissoko and Hitzlesperger

Feel free to debate the point but imo all of them were fairly shite in the Prem.

Feel free to debate the point but imo all of them were fairly shite in the Prem.

Hammerzperger was always great and sissoko was mostly good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

mars_matt_elliott_1_492282a.jpg

I mean, seriously!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Im 99% sure that's Matt Elliott?

Frisbee wrote: »
    Im 99% sure that's Matt Elliott?

Yup. How the **** was he not picked??!! :confused:

Yeah he definitely should have been picked. I picked my two centre halves early though which is why he never came into the equation.

Yeah he definitely should have been picked. I picked my two centre halves early though which is why he never came into the equation.

Yeah. I'm happy that my two are better than him (though the gap between Walker and him isn't a chasm by any means). But:

Yobo
    Short
    Nelsen
    Upson
    Scales
    Henchoz

ahead of him? WTF?? :confused:

The man was a ****ing beast at the back for a four year stretch. And the spiritual leader of a Leicester team that was a force to be reckoned with under O' Neill. I mean Ryan ****ing Nelsen ahead of him. Wow.

Berger not going is also a huge head scratcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Here's a glimpse at my shortlist of players which I felt was pretty good. Some of the players might have been picked though as I wasn't as thorough with it as the draft wore on. :)

Goalkeepers: Tim Howard, Fabien Barthez, Thomas Sorensen, Paul Robinson, Dean Kiely, Beasant, T.Coton, M.Schwarzer, P.Srnicek, M.Poom, I.Walker, L.Miklosko, S.Ogrizovic, M.Taylor, C.Kirkland, R.Wright, B.Gunn, A.Manninger, P.Jones, M.Almunia, R. Van der Gouw.

Out of these I think Kiely would have been a solid pick.

Centre backs: Laurent Blanc, Campo, F.Sinclair, Duberry, Matteo, Dave Watson, Stubbs, Ruddock, D.May S.Howey, N.Dabizas, A.O'Brien, A.Haaland, D.Stefanovic, A.de Zeeuw, G.Breen, J.Evans, C.Calderwood, S.Potts, D.Wetherall, C.Lundekvam, J.Yobo, Phil Babb.

I think a few here were solid enough but perhaps not high profile enough, ie Lundekvam.

Right backs: Kenna, Sagna, Micah Richards, N.Summerbee, A.Xavier, D.Mills, A.Hughes, G.Festa, J.Dodd, L.Young, A.Arbeloa.

Sagna didn't qualify did he? Festa would have been decent, also Xavier.

Left-backs: Silvestre, Kilbane, P.Neville, Q.Fortune, J.O'Shea, J.Arca, N'Zogbia, G.McCartney, J.Edinburgh, D.Higginbotham, B.Thatcher, F.Benali.

Benali made a ton of appearances didn't he? Fortune always struck me as reliable enough. Did Silvestre not go?

Left wingers: Anders Limpar, John Jensen, S. Ripley, A.Thompson, J. Gronkjaer, P.Beagrie, Boa Morte, Smicer, L.Robert, M.Etherington, S.Hunt, S.Lazaridis, M.Pembridge, S.Guppy, S.Froggatt. P. Berger, Ji-Sung Park.

Lazaridis was quite an underrated player. Steve Guppy was a good player from what I remember.

Right wingers: Kevin Richardson, Poborsky, Emerton, Wilcox, McAteer, K.Nolan, K.Dyer, J.Milner, S.Stone, R.Fox, S.Davies, E.Bakke, D.Kuyt, M.Kennedy, A.Valencia.

Dyer probably should have been picked. Valencia has been a good player too. Not sure about some others I have here.

Central midfielders: Bryan Robson, Hleb, Stephen Ireland, Muzzy Izzet, David Platt, Edu, Lee Hendrie, Rory Delap, Ian Taylor, Steven Reid, Andy Reid, David Dunn, G. Flitcroft, Tugay, Sherwood, K.Davies, Mikel, Burley, G.Stuart, Barmby, Gravesen, Cahill, S.Lomas, D.Fletcher, G.Peacock, N.Kranjcar, A.Rae, D.Hutchison, P.Gascoigne, A.Nielsen, O.Leonhardsen, T.Morley, M.Holland, C.Palmer, R.Savage, N.Lennon, S.Sidwell, Y.Benayoun.

Did Muzzy Izzet not go? He was a smashing little player. I thought Ireland would go but not to be. Gravesen did go didn't he? Kranjcar was a decent shout.

Strikers: Andrew Johnson, Niall Quinn, Roque Santa Cruz, Dunc. Ferguson, Bellamy, Hartson, Kevin Doyle, Geoff Horsfield, Lee Hughes, Reyes, Milosevic, Vassell, Angel, Kevin Gallacher, Paatelinen, Litmanen, N. Blake, Diouf, Vialli, Flo, Tony Cottee, P.Rideout, McFadden, Kanoute, Kuyt, U.Rosler, P.Dickov, S.Goater, B.McClair, F.Asprilla, G.Whittingham, P.Wanchope, M.Baros, S.Claridge, M.Bridges, M.Stewart, M.Forssell, C.Mendonca, J.Euell, J.Hartson, D.Huckerby, P. Van Hoojdonk, M.Bright, E.Ekoku, D.Hirst, J.Sheridan, L.Chapman, R.Wallace, B.Deane, A.Smith, D.Cadamarteri, E.Ostenstad, M.Jansen, Karl Heinze Riedle, D.Suker,

Wanchope remained according to my records? Surprised at that. Riedle and Rosler were good German players as I recall. Big Quinny should have went ahead of other big players picked.

I think some good players were overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Was Mario Stanic picked?

I thought about him at one stage, but opted not to take him in the end. I would've picked Berger had I not taken Giggs in the first round, how he wasn't picked astounded me the whole way through. Stuart Ripley is another I thought about. I contemplated moving Wiltord up front to bring him in for the last pick. I also pondered on Kanoute as a final pick.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Did Stephen Carr go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

DAMN YOU XAVI!! i had been working on a team of all players not picked and was gonna have people compare it to ditpoker's team, just to show how bad jeff is at fantasy draft!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

wtf? He played about double the amount required. Derby were in the premiership for a few seasons too ya know. ;)

Thats what i was thinking too. I was going to pick Kinky but id seen Xavi say he hadnt made enough appearances. He must have made 40+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Melion wrote: »
    Thats what i was thinking too. I was going to pick Kinky but id seen Xavi say he hadnt made enough appearances. He must have made 40+
    Played 37 premiership games in his first season at City. He played 93 league games for Derby and only had 1 season with them outside of the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

ripley and elliott not going was farcical, especially the former imo

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Played 37 premiership games in his first season at City. He played 93 league games for Derby and only had 1 season with them outside of the premiership.

I knew i was right, damn you Xavi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Most of the ones I would have thought should have been picked are mentioned above.

For me the four that did not get picked that should have been in there were Dalian Atkinson, Dean Saunders and Matt Elliott.

But the player I missed myself, and I'm disgusted with myself because he played for Blackburn was Michael Gray.

SlickRic wrote: »
    ripley and elliott not going was farcical, especially the former imo
    I'd have to agree on that, I was certain Ripley was picked before my last pick. I just put up one that I missed and now theres two.:eek:

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote: »
    wtf? He played about double the amount required. Derby were in the premiership for a few seasons too ya know. ;)

Epic fail :(

We're allowed tranfers aren't we? Aren't we.....? :o

Epic fail :(

We're allowed tranfers aren't we? Aren't we.....? :o

I couldnt find his career appearances during the draft, of course i found them with my first search earlier. The only reason i didnt pick him was because i believed your post :mad:

Oh and i also suggested 1 transfer in the discussion thread a few weeks ago :confused:

You can't have transfers now after all these players coming out. There might be five or six there that might interest people but there were 24 in the draft so there would be no fairness in it.

Advertisement