Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft screw things up again!

Options
  • 14-01-2009 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Latest news from around the various sites discussing the upcoming release of IE8 is that Microsoft have decided to screw with the opacity CSS filter! :mad:

What a shower of f***wits! :mad:

Now, in addition to the CSS standard of opacity and the IE6 / IE7 filter:alpha(opacity=x), we'll have ANOTHER MS-proprietary tag - only the longer version of filter will be accepted! Apparently, that's better than what they had planned, which was to remove opacity ALTOGETHER! :eek:

I'm considering avoiding this edit and replacing it with a message saying "You are using a crap browser from a stupid, arrogant, common-sense-less company - please download a standards-compliant one such as Firefox, Safari, Opera or Google Chrome".....

Who do Microsoft reckon are going to pay for the additional development and testing times caused by THIS screw-up ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

I'm not an MS fan by any means but i do generally hate people that bash MS, however, when it comes to browsers they definitely deserve all the virtual beating they get! Pure rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

oops

What is the deal with the new IE8 rendering mode? The way I understand it you have to put a tag in existing site pages sying "render this in IE7 mode", otherwise it renders in a new IE8 mode? I tried a beta last year which appeared to break a few of my existing sites.

I really wish they would just do a standards compliant engine. We could use conditionals and the odd hack until ie7 went obsolete, and then all would be well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

From what I've seen (Beta) and heard a LOT of sites are going to be screwed in IE8.... not looking forward to it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Interestingly, with IE8, a lot of issues being caused are by them trying to make it more standards compliant. So in the long-run, we'll thank them for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

are sites breaking in ie8 due to not being standards compliant? if so, surely this will be a great boost to the professional web design industry?

are sites breaking in ie8 due to not being standards compliant?

IIRC sites that WERE standars complaint broke. Last time I checked I used browsershot.org and a few of my sites didn't work. I cant recall if those were sites using IE conditional styling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I spent about two weeks using IE 8. It seemed great at first but just became annoying after a while when it would not render some websites and all too often had to switch to compatability mode, which usually worked. Another annoying glitch that I found with it that it would not remember sessions and I would often find myself logged out after clicking on a link. It could be memory hungry too, as it's new feature of different tabs or groups of tabs being independent of each other causes multiple instances of IE to open.

I have gone to back to Opera now. I am liking it more than FireFox and IE (obviously!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

IE 8 beta is just that beta. IE8 is aimming towards standards compliance hence the breaking of IE7 sites etc.

You can put a meta tag on you web pages to force IE8 to render in IE7 mode or if you have access to IIS/Apache you can put an include in to tell any browser to render all pages in IE8.

look when MS came out with IE6 they broke IE5.5 the same with IE7 breaking IE6 etc. I have even seen Firefox break between 1 and 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

amen wrote: »
    IE 8 beta is just that beta. IE8 is aimming towards standards compliance hence the breaking of IE7 sites etc.

The beta is what raised the issue of COMPLETE non-support of stuff like opacity; Microsoft's answer was to put it in, but grudgingly, using a completely different CSS directive. So this isn't a case of "it wasn't in the beta but it'll be in the final version" - the decision has been made, with MS not only not matching other browsers and using their proprietary stuff, they're creating NEW proprietary stuff.
    look when MS came out with IE6 they broke IE5.5 the same with IE7 breaking IE6 etc.

Which proves my point; Microsoft don't give a crap who has to clean up after them. And rather than learning from the past, they're repeating it.
    I have even seen Firefox break between 1 and 2.
    True, and Opera 9 reintroduced a bug that had been fixed in 7.2; the point is that stuff like the opacity isn't a bug - it's a conscious decision, and it's a severe pain....

If they just went ahead and did what ALL other browsers are doing based on the standards, there would be ONE format for ALL browsers, which is the whole idea behind standards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement