Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vanes in Slurry Pump

• 14-01-2009 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I need to change the vanes in one of the slurry pumps... Anyone ever done it before or know where I can get step by step instructions.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I changed the vanes of a vacum tanker pump a few years ago. I presume it's a vacum tank you are talking about. What I done was I took off all the bolts in front of the pump and slowly pull out the rotor. The rotor is fairly heavy and could be easily cracked if you leave it fall. You would want 2 people to lift it. Then I took off the old vanes and replaced them with the new ones. Make sure that the shaft fits into the bearing at the other end as you push the rotor back into position. After replacing the rotor you need a new gasket with a light film of grease line it up and tighten the bolts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Thanks Sam.

Where did you get the Vanes and are they expensive. Is there anything else that needs changing when I have her cranked open !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I haven't repaired / opened a vacumn tanker pump but I worked on vacumn pumps at sea so the principles are the same.

1. Check the slots the vanes slide into for cracks
    2. Check the slots to see if they have worn wider or does the vane slide in with no looseness
    3. Check the end plates - the one you remove to get at the rotor- to see if they are worn.
    4. Replace any locking fasteners - they are only a few euros but if they fail your pump will be wrecked.
    5. Lightly lubricate everything as you replace it.

Good Luck

I bought the vanes from my local machinery dealer. I can't remember how much they cost a rough guess would be around €60-€100. All I had to change were the vanes and gasket.

Sam...

Removed rotor but the vanes are standing proud a few mm.. They dont seem to be worn.. If they were any thicker there would not be enough clearance and re-assembly would be impossible !!

• Advertisement

Do the vanes need to slide in and out of the housing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Rotary vane pumps work by the vanes sliding in and out of the rotor as it rotates.
    If the vanes are stuck in the rotor, the pump won't do anything but make noise.

Cheers Rovi.. It appears that the vanes are jammed in the slots !!! Will Most likely have to replace them !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Not necessarily.

The vanes are most likely just jammed with rust and/or slurry from the tanker getting overfilled and then sitting idle for a while.
    Remove the rotor from the pump, and prize the vanes out of the slots.
    Give everything a good scrub of a wire brush and a light coating of vacuum pump oil.
    The vanes should move freely up and down in the slots.

Reassemble and test.
    Make sure the oil pump is actually dripping oil into the pump; this is what keeps everything working smoothly.

Trx wrote: »
    Sam...

Removed rotor but the vanes are standing proud a few mm.. They dont seem to be worn.. If they were any thicker there would not be enough clearance and re-assembly would be impossible !!
    The vanes I changed didn't seem to be worn either but I was advised to change them. When they old they can crack and destroy the pump. However I know someone that has the same tank with almost 30 years and they never changed the vanes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 yupyupyup

hi if anyones readin this in the future i got the vanes replaced last week. vanes cost €70, (theres 7 vanes @ €10 each) labour was about 60/70 quid, i got other stuff done as well. we have our tank over 16 yrs and it was the first time we replaced it. it comes highly recommended.

Advertisement