Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sticker removal on my car?!?! please help

Options
  • 14-01-2009 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

hi,

my jeep has a full vehicle wrap on it. Basically meaning there is a big vinyl sticker all the way around it.

I need to remove this now.

Is there anything ot there to help with this.
    Like some spray or whatever in halfords or something??

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Washing up liquid and hot water will get it off (eventually).

The paint works going to look a bit dodge anyway when the you
    get the stickers off, just peel it carefully though don't do something
    stupid like use a knife!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭b1ackr0se

haha or a paint scraper!

the problem with wetting it is i cant get a grip on the vinyl to pull it then.

COMPLETE NIGHTMARE this stuff!

I might take it down to the power washer actually and try blast it off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

I would use some kind of heat gun..........> carefully.

It definately needs a heat source to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Any time i've ever removed decals i've used a hairdryer to soften them - then they just pull right off. In summer, you could just park the car in the sun, but there's not much chance of that happening today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

WD40 works surprisingly well and you can get it in Halfords or any local motor shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hair dryer, or heat gun? I've seen large logo's just peeled off vehicles but you'll need to find the join and get a good grip.

If it's been on a while it will probably have shrunk making it a lot more difficult to peel off. The Guinness Combo's had a partial wrap and needed a few hours in an oven (in a paint shop) before it could be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

It needs to be heated. As someone else said, a hairdryer could do the trick.

Isnt washing up liquid full of salt and therefore bad for your paintwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

R.O.R wrote: »
    Hair dryer, or heat gun? I've seen large logo's just peeled off vehicles but you'll need to find the join and get a good grip.

If it's been on a while it will probably have shrunk making it a lot more difficult to peel off. The Guinness Combo's had a partial wrap and needed a few hours in an oven (in a paint shop) before it could be removed.
    I was thinking this myself - might the OP might be better off just bringing the car to a body shop?

Thanks lads.

My uncle is a panel beater and never even thought of baking it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

Yeah heat it up and peel it off, remaining residue can be cleaned off with a cloth lightly soaked in petrol. obviously be careful with the petrol. its probably the best chemical at getting rid of sticker residue and only it being highly flammable stops it being advised and used. way better than a propriety cleaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

b1ackr0se wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

never even thought of baking it!

Yep... Moderate oven, 180 Degrees or gas mark 4, for one hour :D:D

I probably will end up cooking the thing!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Parafin is good at removing old glue. I agree on the heat method.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hey i work in this industry but i dopnt want to say where here in case i get banned for advertisin but i sent you a PM in case you need help. try the hairdryer coz it does need heat!!

hope that's ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,324 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ITDept wrote: »
    WD40 works surprisingly well and you can get it in Halfords or any local motor shop.
    Won't soak through vinyl, though....

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement