Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone see the new Derren Brown show last night ?

• 14-01-2009 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

I missed the start and some of the middle butwhat I did see was pretty good. I thought his previous show was better and I loved the wrap up at the end. I thought that show had more energy , this new he seems to be more releaxed and says fuck a lot .

I'd no idea how he did most of what he did, sometimes I've an idea how something's done.

But guessing that a 35year old woman is thinking wether or not she'll ever have kids wasn't that impressive :p

Woth watching, I must look out for the E4 repeat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,239 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

****, forgot this was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

King Mob wrote: »
    ****, forgot this was on.

+1 :(

Will scan around for repeat times. Someone post if they find it before me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I saw it, yeah.
    Not as good as other shows I've seen of his, but still really entertaining. I think I prefer
    is recorded shows better. But if he ever did a gig in Ireland, I'd definately go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Perhaps try Ch4 On Demand.
    Unlike the BBC they let us use it!

From TV3's online TV guide:
    E4.
    • Derren Brown (Entertainment)Starting: 21:30 on Thursday 15th January.
    • Derren Brown (Entertainment)Starting: 21:00 on Saturday 17th January.

Evening of Wonders

A specially televised version of Derren Brown's most recent live stage show Evening of Wonders, recorded at the Garrick Theatre in London at the end of his sold-out nationwide tour and West End run. Derren's last show saw him walk on glass, this one promises to be even more thrilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Saw it too, i thought most of it was really incredible.. Dont have a clue how it was done, definately worth watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

But guessing that a 35year old woman is thinking wether or not she'll ever have kids wasn't that impressive

Guessing a 46 year old man was thinking about shaving his scrotum is very impressive, particularly since for all the "Oracle" stuff he did he also named names, found the person in the audience, guessed their age and star sign correctly. All while blindfolded.

Incredible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Perhaps try Ch4 On Demand.
    Unlike the BBC they let us use it!

It is very likely that it is on this. Almost without exception you can watch anything that has been shown (not movies) for 30 days after they have screened it.

The only place restrictions are likly to occur is where c4 don't have exclusive rights in the UK and Ireland (Friends, other syndicated US shows), but they normally do have those rights with Derrens stuff.

asdasd wrote: »
    Guessing a 46 year old man was thinking about shaving his scrotum is very impressive, particularly since for all the "Oracle" stuff he did he also named names, found the person in the audience, guessed their age and star sign correctly. All while blindfolded.

Incredible stuff.

Well there was that.
    It's been bugging me how he did some of it. I keep thinking back to that show he did when he got 2marketing/advertiser designers to come up with an ad and they designed more or less the same ad that Derren had inside a sealed envelope in front of them....
    Derren had planted subtle clues for them in their taxi journey. They passed special road signs and posters and such that planted subconscious ideas (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Saw the show as well, wasnt very impressed, i thought his previous shows were much more entertaining.

• Advertisement

Actually, yeah, I didn't find it too entertaining. More annoying as it's really bugging me how he did what he did. Every other show of his I've watched going back to his first in 2002 ?2003 ? anyway, I've always been happy just being entertained and not dying to know the reveal.

I'm assuming it was a completely different type of method than his last live show that was televised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Hmm. It was clearly his most technically difficult show. He was amazing as the oracle. The whole point is to be impressed, or bugged by how he does stuff. When I know already ( as I think I do with the Green box) it is less entertaining.

It seems like derren's talk about being an expert in NLP and the like fools alot of magicians. Have none of you ever lied when doing mentalism?

Derren Brown is, at the end of the day, a magician.

I sometimes find Derren more interesting when he shows how he does it.

oeb wrote: »
    It seems like derren's talk about being an expert in NLP and the like fools alot of magicians. Have none of you ever lied when doing mentalism?

Derren Brown is, at the end of the day, a magician.

I can honestly say I've never lied while doing a trick.:D

I can honestly say I've never lied while doing a trick.:D

Are you by any chance performing an effect with one hand while typing this?

Are you by any chance performing an effect with one hand while typing this?

Yea lets go with that.:D

Yea lets go with that.:D
    He is not a magician, he is a very naughty boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Got it waiting for me at home... Didn't watch live because I was... ahem... performing. I saw it live and it was excellent. Looking forward to watching it.

Alan, it will destroy you if you found out how most of the stuff he does is done!!! Especially the stuff he tells you how he does!!!

He is not a magician, he is a very naughty boy!

Well all magicians are lairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

love derrens "explanations".

I only saw the very end of the show last night, I do have a feeling from the tiny bit I saw that some of it was using RIP-esque ideas

The "explanations" are part of the show , yes ?
    At least when he does them that is.

yip yip.

zuroph wrote: »
    yip yip.

I suppose it shows my iggnorance but I like that stuff. I suppose it's a sort of fake reveal that makes us think we're in on it.

But I just loved that other live show that was broadcast where he listed all the subtle hints throughout the show

yip, that was one too.

Derren Brown is by far my most admired magician in modern magic, not for his skill set, but the presentation. he's brought so much doubt to peoples minds about how he does tricks even though he admits its trickery. fantastic showman, i'd love to get the opportunity to talk to him for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I haven't watched a magic show in a while, but Derren Brown is seriously impressive! It was just getting ridiculous towards the end! I actually don't want to know how he does it, i prefer just sitting back and being impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Well all magicians are lairs.

And some are liars

FreeFallin wrote: »
    And some are liars
    Lies and slander.

im very interested in cracking his methods for these, purely for professional reasons dont ya know ;)

have some figured already, and I've yet to see the full show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

I'll PM you my email if you want to bounce ideas!!!

Advertisement