Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone see the new Derren Brown show last night ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Somebody please tell me how he did the bit with the table???!! Just watching it now on More4 +1, seriously impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the table was the easiest bit I've seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

All I can say is the trick is to work out where the wires could be.

the oracle is awesome though! I have theories. what about the scroll?

Oracle I know how. Scroll is a commercial gimmik I believe. Anything else?

• Advertisement

thats all really. i think i know the scroll. think!

as for oracle, care to PM me?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

green box is obvious, i think. great showmanship though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

My head is absolutely wrecked all day thinking of this, how did he do the oracle thing, how?!? As for the table, the lad he had up on stage waved his hand over and under the table completely... wires? Anyone watch the gorilla/derren "switcheroo", i skyplussed the whole thing and rewound that part :rolleyes:

Come on, has anyone any explanations??! Please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What about magnets in the table or something?

Plenty. Unfortunetly can't post much here.

• Advertisement

??? wrote: »
    Plenty. Unfortunetly can't post much here.
    Why?

Head melted! Ive watched all Derrens shows, to be honest it wasnt the most mind boggling show ive seen him do but its irritating me now. I understand how he does some of his stuff like influencing people to say certain or think certain things when he's one on one with them but guessing 5 peoples objects in their head at once with the 20 questions thing?! Ah here... please!

Important note re: Reveals
    The posting of reveals (how to do tricks) by any means (including video) is not permitted on this forum. The posting of such material may lead to the post being edited/deleted and the poster being warning/infracted/banned. Please also note that there is currently a private sub-forum of Magic & Illusion which allows the posting of reveals. This sub-forum is for posters who show a genuine interest in the area and have shown themselves to be contributors to this forum - access is granted purely at the discretion of the mods of this forum. For access please PM 6th or r3nu4l

And by your last post, whatever you think you know is probably wrong!!!!!

Balls... looks like another sleepless night :rolleyes:

Look u have ur own smiley --> :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Just do a google search you'll find loads of sites explaining how tricks are done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

??? wrote: »
    All I can say is the trick is to work out where the wires could be.

Commercial effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

oeb wrote: »
    Commercial effect.

Commercial effect as in it's a trick that be bought/rented ?
    Or commercial effect as in TV editing ?

Sorry if I brought some unwanted "how did he do this" attention to the Magic forum, I know the rules and it wasn't my intention to ask for reveals and methods here.

I missed the replay last night, might grab it on 4On Demand and pause/zoom on a few bits :D

You buy it.

I missed the replay last night, might grab it on 4On Demand and pause/zoom on a few bits :D

His production team are not idiots =) Chances are any thing that might have been there for the audience to notice if they were paying more attention, will be out of frame for the TV show.

My favorite bit of the show was the gorilla at half time. It's an old trick, but it's a bloody good one, and always gets great reactions. You don't see enough magicians using it any more.

He uses a few old tricks doesn't ? And like sort of blends different styles of tricks or different tricks from different times together. I think that's one of my favourite things about him.

I missed the bloody Gorilla thing, I was watching it but was also on the laptop doing stuff so I'd looked away and when I looked back there he was!

He uses a few old tricks doesn't ? And like sort of blends different styles of tricks or different tricks from different times together. I think that's one of my favourite things about him.

I missed the bloody Gorilla thing, I was watching it but was also on the laptop doing stuff so I'd looked away and when I looked back there he was!

I have yet to see a mentalist or magician on TV that does not use old stuff (Although mostly bumped up to a more modern standard). The stuff is considered classics, because it's bloody good.

• Advertisement

Saw this show twice in London last year,a lot of the oracle act can be figured out fairly simply,while you're there live...a certain something can be seen going on during the Intervalwink.gif,

also anyone who filled out their info onto one of the envelopes,will have a fairly good idea of what was going on,though it's still technically impressive nonetheless..actually now that I think of it,I'm pretty sure I've just figured out the blindfolded part of the effect toosmile.gif

All in all,this special was incredibly well produced and pretty entertaining,but not quite as good as Something Wicked or some of his other specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Derren's famous Taxi sequence:
    Derren had planted subtle clues for them in their taxi journey. They passed special road signs and posters and such that planted subconscious ideas (I think).

The clip is on youtube, I suggest you watch the "explanation" section closely a couple of times (pay special attention to camera cuts and edits). Did you notice anything?

On the 'Oracle', anyone interested could do worse than reading Christopher Brookmyre's latest novel "Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks", which is fiction but 2 performances of this trick are featured.

after second watch, i have it all sussed now.

damn it i love his presentation. the amount of planning he puts into one show makes it a joy for not only lay people but magicians to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I still cannot figure out how the table moved. I know ye said to think about where the wires could be, but the guy that he got up on stage checked over the table and below and there was nothing. Its the first time in ages I'm genuinely baffled by something I've seen...

zuroph wrote: »
    after second watch, i have it all sussed now.

damn it i love his presentation. the amount of planning he puts into one show makes it a joy for not only lay people but magicians to watch.

See? You enjoyed it and knowing the secrets or methods didn't spoil it for you.

Stop me if I've gone off topic here but with other pieces of theatre or art where there's methods (that used to be trade secrets) such as theatre productions like plays, flim making and , sorry to mention this but.... wrestling. These artforms had lots of secrets that weren't available to the public and to learn them you had to pay your dues. In the late 60s Colleges started to offer Film Courses, "film schools" essentially, where you went and studied film and you'd learn about the processes and methods etc.
    This caused a small revolution throughout American Cinema (Read: EasyRiders RagingBulls by Peter Biskind ).

You could say the same about wrestling, during the 90s with the internet and the transfer of information , fans learned how it was all put together. By 1997 there was a huge change in mainstream Pro Wrestling because the fans that had grown up and smartened up. This then meant that the business changed to accomodate them .

Even though I'm not a magician or training or learning or anything, I still find that learning how the odd trick is done does heigthen my respect. I don't go searching wildly for stuff on the net but I've seen a few youtube videos and I don't think "Oh that's ****, look how fake it is. I know how it's done..." , rather I usually think "Wow, that really did take some amazing skill".

The Penn & Teller bullet catch springs to mind.

Again , sorry if this post was off-topic and a bit of a ramble.

nah, i see where you're coming from. but i think your underappreciating how much this has happened in magic also. the info is all there if you want it. I appreciate Derren for the style and the way he puts the tricks together. same reason i despise cris angel. David blaine does very little "magic" these days, because the second he does, its ripped apart by kids online,and the reputation doesnt gain any more respect.
    reveals are fine, once the revealer has right to reveal it. its about respecting people who work in magic to let them make some money to stay in the business, and in turn entertain us more.
    As you can see, we made an attempt to teach some magic at the top of this forum, and, despite the huge debate that sprung up at the start of the forum about whether reveals should be allowed, there was pretty much no uptake of the opportunity to learn a fantastic piece of magic. simple too.
    Seems people want to know how its done without having to do it, but dont realise the consequence of such actions. This is why Derren Brown sells so well, he's tricked lay people into believing that he IS telling them how its done, so they think they're in on it, but still pay to go to his shows etc. If his tricks were common knowledge, he wouldnt have a hope of selling out a tour like that.

I understand. I do commend magicians and mentalists for doing their damdest (is that a word?) to keep the secrets and methods within the community.

I'll keep an eye out for some teaching threads in future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The Derren Brown book Tricks of the Mind is well worth a read for anyone who has a slightly deeper but not professional interest in what he does. I do a lot of presentations in my job and I use a card trick from it a lot. He also spends a lot of time on memory techniques which I found useful.

Agree with the others though - his presentation is outstanding.

Advertisement