Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Juliet or somewhere else?

• 14-01-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm taking away my girlfriend for valentines and I was looking at the Mount Juliet website and there's a "Stay&Play" package whereby you stay, get dinner and do one of their daily activities (Horse riding or archery as I can't play golf). I was just wondering if anyone has ever stayed there?

Are the rooms nice?
    Are the daily activities good?

Could someone recommend somewhere else we could go? I want to go somewhere nice but can't be too far away (due to work constraint for both of us) Anywhere between waterford & dublin is an option... Would ideally like to have something like what Mount Juliet have on offer with the horse riding/archery

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Activities ain't bad, they do clay pigeon shooting which is great craic :)
    Mount Juliet is in Co Kilkenny btw :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

:D Given that I'm from Co Kilkenny myself I was aware of that but I'm far more active on the Waterford City Board due to my close proximity to Waterford so I said I'd post it here:D

Thanks for the info though the clay pigeon shooting does look fun alright... its between that and the horse-riding i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I was going to stay in Clontarf Castle castle before with the OH and it seemed fairly nice but seeing as herself is from dublin I don't know would it exactly suit ya.

IMO the problem with Mount Juliet would be that the green fee's there are extortion and since they give you the option they are probably a significant part of the price and kind of expect people to play.

Of course on the other side it is suppose to be really nice there.

http://www.clontarfcastle.ie/

oh yeah your probably right i never thought of the green fees being included in the price... my girlfriend plays golf but as I don't I'd probably be an embarrassment especially on such a fancy course

I'll take a look at the Clontarf place and see whats on offer

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

I would certainly certainly consider Mount Juliet. I stayed there on 26th October and really enjoyed my time there. The Food was excellent, we ate in the Presidents Bar and also the Lady Helen restaurant. ( I have previously eaten in Kendals restaurant there also and it is equally as good )
    Breakfasts are made especially for you which was a nice touch.
    The rooms are huge, each one is different. There are 3 rooms in the main house that even have access to a private garden.

Mount Juliet would be a good place for Valentines, as there is the Spa, Equestrian Centre and also loads of walks around the grounds.
    There is quite a nice photo gallery on-line at
    http://www.mountjuliet.ie/photo-gallery/

I would also recommend the Carlton Milrace in Bunclody where I stayed on 17th & 18th Dec and had a lovely time.

Hope you find this useful.

• Advertisement

@ smdweb... Thanks very much for the info... was hoping to hear from someone who'd eaten and stayed there.. I'd say I'll go with mount juliet... It appears to hit all the requirements

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was there last valentines day, just for the dinner. They had two menus but we stuck with the main one. Was fantastic, highly recommend it. Food was gorgeous, service was pleasant and the surroundings were great also. It was busy when we arrived mostly family's and a small few couples but it was starting to quiten down.

If your considering Mount Juliet for Valentines day - book early to avoid disappointment. I don't think you will regret going there, I thought the food was fantastic at a great rate.

Other people were suggesting Waterford Castle but I don't believe they have any packages available. At least, its not mentioned on their website the last time I looked. The Castle is supposed to just as good, possibly even better, then mount juliet in terms of dining.

If you want reviews on accommodation - TripAdvisor usually is a good place to look. Don't be put of its got one or two bad reviews as the majority are usually right and the minority might be lying (competition!) or exaggerating what happened.

This really should be in the Kilkenny Forum since we are talking about Mount Juliet mostly but since we are taking Waterford recommendations its grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭smdweb

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

No problem - Lady helen Restaurant is usually Fine Dining and Kendals is usually more relaxed atmosphere, almost Bistro style, really nice.

Hope you have a good time - also I think you can get bikes free if you want to take a spin around the estate when you are there - its a nice way to spend time relaxing on the estate.

Riverview rooms are a bit more expensive but have nice views of the river and the paddocks.

Hope all this helps.

hi thanks to everyone for their advice... booked mount juliet last night so its all sorted

Advertisement