Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying VAT with UK orders

Options
  • 14-01-2009 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. Please feel free to move.

Just a quick question regarding VAT. Our sports club is ordering equipment form the Uk to be shiped to us here in Ireland.
    We received quotes yesterday but then received another as

"Sorry, just realised that you are based in Dublin and therefore do not pay the VAT. Please find revised quote."

I am definitely not complaining as it significantly reduces our costs but just interested to know why this is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

They are assuming you are registered for VAT. If not, then UK vat will apply.

They'll probably ask for your vat # when dispatching.

If not, then its their mistake and they'll have to cough up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In the 80's I used to get computer games sent from england, my father would pay by CC and used to ask them not to charge VAT, ~50% of them would agree. Not sure if things were different, he used to tell me we were liable to pay VAT, but the value was so low they didn't bother. Not sure if he meant if we paid UK vat we were still liable for Irish VAT.

Advertisement