Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House wanted in Galway

Options
  • 14-01-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a house/site within 12 miles of Galway. Ideally the Headford/Tuam rd side. Any ideas besides the Daft/Estate agent route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Advertiser route

Are you looking to buy or rent?

There are plenty of houses in Claregalway village available but consider the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

There is also www.myhome.ie but i really think daft is the best option. The advertiser doesn't seem to have such a big selection of houses for sale anymore. Suppose people who are selling are cutting back on advertising costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Are you looking to buy or rent?

There are plenty of houses in Claregalway village available but consider the traffic.
    I'm looking to buy. I would prefer to be a bit out in the country. My dream area is between the headford rd and the tuam rd so I could use either depending on the traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

There are some beautiful houses out there!! Try estate agents in Headford and Galway so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

galwaybabe wrote: »
    I'm looking for a house/site within 12 miles of Galway. Ideally the Headford/Tuam rd side. Any ideas besides the Daft/Estate agent route?

Not being smart but whats wrong with the daft/agents route?

Myself and my missus are in a similar situation except we want to buy on the east side of Galway towards late summer/Autumn time, Craughwell, Ardrahan and similar areas being as far as we will go out from town. There is a wealth of houses, sites, apartments etc on Daft.ie, Myhome.ie, Property.ie, Privateseller.ie and estate agents like rooneys, KMS, remax and many others. We are looking now and doing a lot of research and just from general research you should be expecting to pay anything from 30 to 40% below the advertised asking price. Ignore the waffle you will no doubt get from the vendor/agent you just need to be strong willed and patient. It's a buyers market and we are the ones dictating the prices now. Don't let yourself get bullied or talked into believing people are actually paying the prices being advertised. Thats just a smoke screen.

I don't really know of, or at least have not come any, other ways of looking for places for sale out from the websites, newspapers or estate agents.

Happy hunting and remember be patient!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Good luck with it GB! No harm in asking mates in the area, mention it when in company, someone may know of a neighbour that's selling.
    The local small papers too?

Not being smart but whats wrong with the daft/agents route?

Myself and my missus are in a similar situation except we want to buy on the east side of Galway towards late summer/Autumn time, Craughwell, Ardrahan and similar areas being as far as we will go out from town. There is a wealth of houses, sites, apartments etc on Daft.ie, Myhome.ie, Property.ie, Privateseller.ie and estate agents like rooneys, KMS, remax and many others. We are looking now and doing a lot of research and just from general research you should be expecting to pay anything from 30 to 40% below the advertised asking price. Ignore the waffle you will no doubt get from the vendor/agent you just need to be strong willed and patient. It's a buyers market and we are the ones dictating the prices now. Don't let yourself get bullied or talked into believing people are actually paying the prices being advertised. Thats just a smoke screen.

I don't really know of, or at least have not come any, other ways of looking for places for sale out from the websites, newspapers or estate agents.

Happy hunting and remember be patient!!

Thank you for the sound advice. I don't have a problem with the Daft/Estate agent route but I do feel that the advertisers are in denial about the true value of houses. I would love it if there was a website for potential buyers. You could lay out what you want and potential sellers could contact you easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

galwaybabe wrote: »
    I would love it if there was a website for potential buyers.

Well, you shouldn't even be considering buying without reading http://www.thepropertypin.com first. Spend a few hours having a look around there. Great advice.

soundbyte wrote: »
    Well, you shouldn't even be considering buying without reading http://www.thepropertypin.com first. Spend a few hours having a look around there. Great advice.
    Been a long time fan of the Pin. It should be compulsary reading for everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Ron09

I'm in the same boat currently lookin to buy in headford/tuam area! I'd recommend contacting builders direct, were currently looking at eallagh estate in headford seems nice there on www.callananwalsh.com! Had a look at propertypin is it any good??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread + this is the city forum.
    Accommodation & Property

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement