Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPD-Why bother?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I remember doing CPDs in college but I have forgotten why we did them, are they actually important or were the lecturers just looking for a break or getting "incentives" from the companies involved:D.

I have organised a CPD for the firm for next week but they keep asking me what a CPD is. I have been able to fob them off so far with "Continuing product development" and how important it is to keep up to date.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Im at a loss as to what exactly you are asking??

Are you asking whethers its a waste of time and effort (and money) to continuously top-up or add-on education and/or skills as a professional???

I couldnt agree at all.

If you stand still, you go backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Good question. CPD are a good idea but as every company offers them, it become difficult to get concenus on which to do. They are usually worth while.

Unfortunately, because they are so freely available we tend not to use them near enough. It is good to keep up to date especially now with so many changes in regulations etc

I'll be in Enniscorthy on 29th Jan for Homebond Right on Site 2009 - always worth attending. Tickets arrived this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I'm sorry if I came across badly, What I mean is are they a must? generally I put aside some time every week to do abit of research but it is generally from independant sources, studies and experiments from magazines, the internet and seminars and shows and then make my own judgements from these.
    Is a cpd not just a sales spiel from a manufacturer as to why their product is better than the competition?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Slig wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I came across badly, What I mean is are they a must? generally I put aside some time every week to do abit of research but it is generally from independant sources, studies and experiments from magazines, the internet and seminars and shows and then make my own judgements from these.
    Is a cpd not just a sales spiel from a manufacturer as to why their product is better than the competition?

i think its a case of choosing them wisely....

i steer well clear of courses run by manufacturers... unless free :D

I have done both the BER and a follow-on 3d cad course, my employer coughed up for both.....and i think they were worthwhile...

however i have often seen very expensive one-day courses which i couldnt justify the costs..... but the up and coming EASCA eco-build looks interesting at very reasonable cost....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

CPD means Continous Professional Development, the idea is to help you as a professional to stay up to date with current legislation, regulations, products. If you are a member of a professional body, CIAT, RIAI ATI (when it gets running) there will be a requirement for doing around 30 CPD hours a year. It dosn't have to be a course costing money or a free seminar by a product supplier, it can be if you spend a hour or two reading some new technical information, eg SEI's sustainable housing design guide. Going to Homebond's area meetings or Trade shows count. PM me you email and I can send you the CPD requirements of both CIAT & RIAI, both of whom also organise CPD event's, (Although I find the RIAI can be expensive!!) IEI also have CPD requirements for engineers and organise events which I believe are quite good.

• Advertisement

I had no idea that courses, seminars and presentations fell under the envelope of CPD. I thought they were all just product orientated. Well I suppose that it was a good question to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Many companies have developed them "as a way of promoting their product in a technical manner" in 1 hour presentations. Many of these presentations are "vetted/approved" by professional organisations such as the RIAI or RIBA, which allows them be counted as part of the required CPD hours to be undertaken. These presentations are good in that they are structured and present some technical information, rather than having a sale rep showing you pictures from a catalogue.

Homebond's right on the site is another good CPD event and 2 hours well spent.

As No6 says the various professional bodies also run CPD events, some of which can be quiet expensive, but worth while.
    At the end of the day, it is important to keep informed and upto date whether a member of a professional body or not, if one is to delivery a professional and proper service to our clients.

If you do almost anything that involves learning something didn't know before (relative to your profession!!) you can count it as CPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

The time spent reading these posts i think should count as CPD as you will learn as much here as anywhere.

They might wonder do we do any work at all if we put down 3000 hours as year on boards as CPD!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Very true. Maybee we should start flexi time between boards and work.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Very true. Maybee we should start flexi time between boards and work.
    Free lunch is as good a reason as any

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No6 wrote: »
    They might wonder do we do any work at all if we put down 3000 hours as year on boards as CPD!!!!!:D

Thats very true! Sometimes explaining something in plain English can get you thinking! It helps me to check out the latest requirements and I learned abit here too!:D

Here's one I got this morning, See The Light 2009 In Galway on the 5th of Feb. They're doing a Passive house design workshop the day before but it is completely booked out.

http://www.phyxhost.ie/dev/reioshop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=96

or if that dosn't work go to http://www.riai.ie/ for more details

No6 wrote: »
    Here's one I got this morning, See The Light 2009 In Galway on the 5th of Feb. They're doing a Passive house design workshop the day before but it is completely booked out.

http://www.phyxhost.ie/dev/reioshop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=96

or if that dosn't work go to http://www.riai.ie/ for more details

Ya the workshop was on how to use the "PHPP" (i think?) programme. I was really considering doing it until I went into the boss's office to ask for the money and time off (maybe even accomodation in Galway for the night) and he was shouting at the bank over the phone!!

Best to keep the head down for the next couple of days.

Advertisement