Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I be paying an Agent Fee?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭

I'll keep this as brief as possible.

I'm moving house, I'm currently renting in Dublin and have been for the last four years. I found one on Daft.ie, so I went to view it, Its was nice, fine.
    I was happy to sign on the dotted line, 1050 rent a month, 1050 deposit, Grand.... then The Agent says, oh yeah and 200euro Agents Fee, but I'll drop that to 150 euro. (Being a nice guy) I'm like Agents Fee??? So whats that then? He explains that its for his Admin etc. I've never had to pay an Agents Fee before? Has Anyone? Am I right in thinking this fee is actually meant to be paid by the person who is trying to rent out their property?? Anyway I've refused to pay this so i'm now looking for somewhere else to Rent. I've rented several houses in Dublin and abroad and I've never heard of Agents fee. Is this guy just a cowboy or what?? :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

In 10 years of renting, I have never heard of an "agents fee". Id be looking to speak to the landlord and ask them about this so called agents fee.. think this guy is chancing his arm.. Complete cowboy.

I wouldnt not rent the property, just make it very clear to him that I would not be paying any agents fee..

Does it say anything in the contract?

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He's trying it on. Walk away.

Its illegal for an agent to seek a fee from both landlord and tenant, although he may not actually be commmitting an offence in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

Thanks lads, I thought I smelt BS. I know that if your looking to rent a property you pay a Agents fee to a Letting Agency for their help in finding tennants... but this guy seems to be talking the hand. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ring the agency company and ask to speak to the manager. He should definitly be reported that is if he is not the manager of the agency!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Emerald Lass

its usually the LL who pays for the admin etc for renting out the property - the agent is providing them with a tenant, and they pay for the service, usually a months rent is the fee, so I would say he's trying it on and is hoping to pocket a few quid out of both you and the LL. never heard of the tenant paying additional 'admin' to move in? I mean what admin? if they are acting as an agent they are supposed to do what is necessary for the LL - its not your responsibility to pay them to check you out and register you etc? thats just daft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Trying it on.

As some one else suggested ring the agents and ask for a manager and ask if its standard practice for their agents to do that.

If it is then tell them that will be a very interesting case for live line and wish them a nice housing crash.

If its not then exepect and apology from the manager and then push him for a discount on the place you were interested in.

In this market, you have the power as the renter. Take no prisoners!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Victor wrote: »
    He's trying it on. Walk away.

Its illegal for an agent to seek a fee from both landlord and tenant, although he may not actually be commmitting an offence in this case.

It's only illegal when selling a property, the agent is entitled to charge a fee from both vendor and buyer at auctions of goods, land and even renting but its the first time I've heard of a letting agent look for a fee after agreeing a contract, house agencies before looking at houses yes!, but letting agent no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

If this is a genuine fee with the rental market the way it is at the moment this agency won't be in business for long. He should have been paying you!

Advertisement