Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature dilemma

Options
  • 14-01-2009 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

I got a university place on leaving school but couldn't take it. So nearly 10 years on I'm thinking more and more of applying to college again. But I feel like I should have all the education world behind me and I wish more than ever that I'd went to college the first time around! What is really putting me off is that I'm afraid if I apply for college now and get a place I won't stick it out! It feels so daunting. I'm currently unemployed and apparently unemployable (i've worked in offices since the Leaving, which seem to stand for nothing) so the chance of a good job is my impetus for wanting to apply, but I'll be 30 by the time I graduate. Any mature student got any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Now is a good time to be going back to college. However, if you do, it would really be in your best interests to stick it out. Believe me 30 years of age isn't old. Find something that you have a real interest in and research the subject and what courses are available to you. Also, as you're unemployed, there should be grants available to you,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

fifomania wrote: »
    I got a university place on leaving school but couldn't take it. So nearly 10 years on I'm thinking more and more of applying to college again. But I feel like I should have all the education world behind me and I wish more than ever that I'd went to college the first time around! What is really putting me off is that I'm afraid if I apply for college now and get a place I won't stick it out! It feels so daunting. I'm currently unemployed and apparently unemployable (i've worked in offices since the Leaving, which seem to stand for nothing) so the chance of a good job is my impetus for wanting to apply, but I'll be 30 by the time I graduate. Any mature student got any advice please?

The education world is never behind you regardless of your age it's always in front of you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I am applying this year to college so I'll be 31 yr old when I graduate. Of course it will be daunting as I'll be surrounded by school leavers but there will be people of all ages at uni. I'm doing an access course in UCD at the moment and I was surprised that there is a mixture of ages at college.

I'm hoping to get on a course I've always wanted to do but thought I wouldn't be good enough. I now know that is not true. I always say to myself, "Yeah, I'll be 31 when I finish but I've another 30 years to work in that career". Ask yourself do you want to keep doing what you're doing for the next 35 years or something that will keep you interested and motivated??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 charlietangodel

I'm 32 and in my final year studying science in UCD. Returning to full-time study was the best decision I ever made. My only real dilemma in decided to return to full-time education was how I was gonna finance the whole process.
    You are in a really great situation actually.
    If you sign on for more than 6 months (I think!), I believe there is some back to University scheme that allows you to claim the dole, get a maintenance grant and pays your fees for you.http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/BackToEducation/Pages/default.aspx That is well worth a look. Lets face it, the best place to be during a recession is in full-time education.
    I am so glad I made the decision to return.
    My class mates are great. In my experience, they have been so welcoming and I've made quite a few friends. A few of them have told me that they find it easier to talk to the mature students than their peers. Go Figure!!

The support network for mature students (in UCD at least) is second to none. We have a walk-in maths support centre available to any student on campus. The lecturers are more than helpful.
    It takes a little extra effort to get the brain cogs going but after that, anything is possible. Personally, I spent 1st year learning how to study again!

Financially, the Maintenance grant could be better but there is good news! As mature students we get 100% of it regardless of how near we live to the campus. I'm not sure about other colleges, but UCD have a few other scholarships available and also a hardship. For example, with my maintenance grant and a mature student scholarship, I managed to get approx €4100 in help in year 1, 2 and 3. In addition, this year, my good work was rewarded with two prize scholarships worth a total of €2000. So you see, there are ways of financing return to full-time study. And of course, if you are eligible for the maintenance grant, you will get your fees paid!

Emotionally, returning to Uni does wonders for your self-confidence and aspirations for the future. It is well worth the late nights studying, turning down nights out with your mates because you have a write-up due the next morning (even though the real reason is that your down to your last tenner until the next grant cheque!!)

I do think that they key to success it picking a course to study, not because it will get you the best paid job but because YOU LIKE it.

I love plants, so I'm studying botany. My head tells me to study something that will guarantee me a job like chemistry, but I'd be bored to tears and getting c's instead of A's!

If anyone has any questions about being a mature student in UCD then please do not hesitate to ask! If I don't know the answer then I'll find out for you

Advertisement