Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist hit on Harold's Cross Road, Dublin

Options
  • 14-01-2009 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Just heard on newstalk that a cyclist was hit on the Harold's Cross road this morning. A truck was invloved.
    Sounded serious and the cyclist is in a bad way.
    My thoughts and prayers are now with that cyclist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Times wrote:
    A man has been killed in a crash in Dublin this morning.
    The male cyclist, believed to be in his 30s, died on Harold's Cross Road after a collision with a cement truck. No one else was injured in the crash, which happened at about 10.30am.
    The road is shut in both directions from Leonard's Corner to the bridge over the canal.
    Gardaí are at the scene and are diverting outbound traffic via the South Circular Road. AA Roadwatch is advising inbound traffic to turn around and divert through Leinster Road and Rathmines.
    According to AA Roadwatch, access has been blocked from from Lower Kimmage Road onto Harold's Cross Rod, and traffic is therefore busy on Kenilworth Road inbound.
    Traffic along the canal is moving in both directions.

RIP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RIP.

That's my commute, and now I'm desperately trying to figure out how it happened. The scrambled geography in the report doesn't help: from Leonard's Corner to the bridge is Clanbrassil Street, not Harold's Cross Road. The narrowing of the roadway on the north side of the bridge is lethal, what with the wall on either side and a cycle track painted over half a car lane which makes users of both think they own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭penfold83

My thoughts are with the cyclists family....

That's my commute also. Really really scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I also cycle that route daily. Every cyclists worst nightmare. R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

BeerNut wrote: »
    RIP.

The narrowing of the roadway on the north side of the bridge is lethal, what with the wall on either side and a cycle track painted over half a car lane which makes users of both think they own it.

My commute also - turning left onto Harolds X rd.
    That narrowing is ridiculous. It's 'blind' caused by the bridge.
    Add an illegally parked car in front of those shops there and it's a nightmare.
    Such sad news for his family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's on my commute as well, and I've had a few near-misses there with SUVs in particular not noticing me on their inside.

edit: Just realised it was the south side of the bridge, outside the bike shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Can't be easy on the truck driver either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Talking to a guy in work, he passed by five minutes afterwards.

"By the time I left there were 2 fire-engines on the scene, 1 ambulance, 4 squad cars (about 8 gardai), 2 motorbike cops, and another squad car racing in that direction from Christchurch side. The bicycle was destroyed. The front wheel was mangled but the back one was in pieces. Also, either the handlebars was broken or they were flattened and lying against the frame. It must have been driven over. It was the southside of the bridge, on the right hand side (as you head into town), just outside the travel agents and bike shop there. The bicycle was lying in the middle of that side of the road."

Very sad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

My sympathies to all concerned, but it's hard to know what to say. It's quite chilling even to think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

buffalo wrote: »
    Talking to a guy in work, he passed by five minutes afterwards.

"By the time I left there were 2 fire-engines on the scene, 1 ambulance, 4 squad cars (about 8 gardai), 2 motorbike cops, and another squad car racing in that direction from Christchurch side. The bicycle was destroyed. The front wheel was mangled but the back one was in pieces. Also, either the handlebars was broken or they were flattened and lying against the frame. It must have been driven over. It was the southside of the bridge, on the right hand side (as you head into town), just outside the travel agents and bike shop there. The bicycle was lying in the middle of that side of the road."

Oh My God that's horrific.

My thoughts are with his family. This is a very sad day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Thanks for the information, buffalo. Horrific indeed.

Stay visible, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Jeez, terrible to hear this. Condolences to the family of the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Its so sad to hear that a young man died like that :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sgross75

RIP....I will pray for him and all that do that commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Knifey_Spooney

Poor guy, under a truck too, has to be the nightmare of every cyclists partner/spouse/parent who says be careful every morning.

That junction is evil, has to be the worst planned of the canal crossings by a long way, although they're all hazardous to cyclists. I think leeson st is probably the best laid out and even that's iffy when drivers aren't paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

lets see how the garda deal with this. if anything to go by previous standards, nothing will happen.
    nasty place for it. a busy messy spot.

Ride safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I was reading that in todays metro. Its nothing special.. but its something at least:

70358.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

That's a terrible, terrible thing to happen. As someone deciding which bike to buy, I'm having 2nd thoughts after that - it's really put me off...

The Irish Times have added to their webpage a photograph of the aftermath. It's right outside the bike shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Thats really horrible, the picture of the bike is terrifying.

I'm not in Dublin at the moment, but I suggest people here should get together tomorrow morning and just have a brief two minute silence at the spot, maybe leave some flowers or candles, before you go on your way to work, as a mark of respect... it could be any of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

flickerx wrote: »

I'm not in Dublin at the moment, but I suggest people here should get together tomorrow morning and just have a brief two minute silence at the spot, maybe leave some flowers or candles, before you go on your way to work, as a mark of respect... it could be any of us.

Very nice thought - but be very vigilant about stopping and congregating at an accident area like that in morning traffic (or anytime for that matter). (I do not mean to rubbish your idea flickerx, it is a good one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 LimitedEdition

It was a horrific scene in Harolds Cross all morning. The chinese guy (the cyclist) was after making his left turn onto Harolds Cross bridge coming from Portabello direction & the cememt lorry was coming from Leonards Corner when the collison happened, the cyclist died instantly. He would apper to have been going to work as the Gardai went through his bag and there was a white apron in it. His remains have only been removed within the last two hours and the road has reopened. The driver of the lorry was breathilized as part of standard proceedure after an accident, he was in a complete daze. Whatever the circumstances my thoughts are with both the victim and the driver and of course their families, seeminly both only setting out to do a days work. Fair play to all in the emergency services, they have worked very hard here all day. There were a number of photographers at the scene, i know they have a job to do and they have to report the news, but it sickened me to see them flashing photos of someones poor child lying dead on a road. I dont think it was really necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I know people who have had close calls at that spot. I've had a few myself. Poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

flickerx wrote: »

RIP and my condolences to the family and friends - it's horrible to hear news like that, how in an ordinary day, doing ones ordinary things can just end in such tragedy.

Re doing something for the cyclist - could the ghost bike movement be introduced to Ireland to remember those lives lost on bikes? Very simple - a bike is painted all white and locked to a nearby post or railing with a small dedication to the individual lost at that place. Good idea/bad idea?

There's a site about it http://www.ghostbikes.org/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Karma wrote: »
    lets see how the garda deal with this. if anything to go by previous standards, nothing will happen.
    nasty place for it. a busy messy spot.

Well, that depends on whether the cyclist or the drivers was at fault.

I think its a nice idea. I would be worried about Dublin and bike thievery, hopefully they would look at the plaque first.

Poor lad, I don't know that stretch of road but it doesn't sound nice.

How about a white image of a bike sprayed onto the path, maybe using some sort of stencil? Or rather than paint, use a pressure washer to "clean" the image onto the path, the way they do with some advertising.

What about a gathering on Saturday rather than tomorrow? From 1pm for two minutes, something like that?

All good ideas.

The reactions page on the ghost bikes sight is worth a read:
    Last night I took a cab, and the driver was talking about the challenges of life as a cabbie. He was complaining about bike messengers and then suddenly shifted gears, lowered his tone, and said, "Do you ever see those bikes painted white, hanging up? That means someone died there. When I see them it reminds me to be careful for the bikers." In other words, people notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Do you know, I'd be on for putting some € into getting a beater bike and painting it up for the poor guy. It's a nice idea of a memorial and like dirk says it might be good for raising awareness and consideration, something in short supply these days. Best running it past the family before anything else I'd suppose though.

Might meet up at 1 on Sat as well - should be in Dub this wkend, might come on the boards spin too if ye'll take another cyclist who left his club at home on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement