Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist hit on Harold's Cross Road, Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

CheGuedara wrote: »
    ...might come on the boards spin too if ye'll take another cyclist who left his club at home on.

Come along for a spin, be nice to meet you at last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Knifey_Spooney

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I think its a nice idea. I would be worried about Dublin and bike thievery, hopefully they would look at the plaque first.

Poor lad, I don't know that stretch of road but it doesn't sound nice.

Don't the ghost bikes normally get stripped of anything useful anyhow, and are actually just frame wheels cranks, bars and a saddle. No tires, brakes, chain etc makes it pretty unappealing to thieves.

They're a good idea, saw a few in NY, its a little disconcerting TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I wouldn't put it past them. Plenty of bikes seem to get trashed/taken apart just for the fun of it. Anyway, lets remove such thoughts from our heads and focus on that chap and his family.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The chinese guy (the cyclist) was after making his left turn onto Harolds Cross bridge coming from Portabello direction & the cememt lorry was coming from Leonards Corner when the collison happened
    I take it you mean he was turning right from Portobello direction onto the bridge? If so, I've just realised how many times I've seen this nearly happen: vehicle crossing the bridge southbound goes through an amber and by the time it's level with the eager cyclist at the end of Grove Road, the cyclist has a green and is moving off. If either or both aren't very careful about the signals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

BeerNut wrote: »
    I take it you mean he was turning right from Portobello direction onto the bridge? If so, I've just realised how many times I've seen this nearly happen: vehicle crossing the bridge southbound goes through an amber and by the time it's level with the eager cyclist at the end of Grove Road, the cyclist has a green and is moving off. If either or both aren't very careful about the signals...

Unfortunately I've witnessed exactly what you've described on the Leeson street bridge, but the cyclist was a lot luckier that day, only minor cuts.

My thoughts are with the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Just after hearing this news now. Was coming down there this morning on my bike and turned right onto the canal at that bridge about 9.30am. My prayers and thoughts go out to his family.

It's a nightmare of a place for cyclists, have had a few close calls myself at that particular place, with cars eager to get over the bridge.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 LimitedEdition

Sorry i meant he was coming from the Portabello direction and turned left onto the Harolds Cross Road, he was hit directly outside the bicycle shop. Sorry i did not make that clearer in other post.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

My brother lives out in Harolds Cross so I cycle out to him now&again. Think that area at the bridge is horrible place to cycle. Actually I do not think the southside, bar going out to Dun Laoghaire, is that safe at all. I live&work on the northside, in clontarf. I cycle to work. The cyclelanes are shared with the walking lanes and it is much safer that way. The councils on the south side need to make the lanes safer for cyclists. My condolences for his family. I heard about it before I left for work. It made me not cycle in and the bad weather was also a cause

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

jdscrubs wrote: »
    The cyclelanes are shared with the walking lanes and it is much safer that way.

I disagree. I find it much more dangerous sharing space with pedestrians than motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

el tonto wrote: »
    I disagree. I find it much more dangerous sharing space with pedestrians than motorists.

They can be like lemmings alright. Just lay down a few girders, give them some umbrellas and away you go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

A cyclist friend of mine saw the accident happen this morning as he was approaching the junction from the same side as the deceased cyclist. Allegedly happened exactly as you described above... the guy saw the crossing traffic lights turn amber, didn't see oncoming traffic and took off before his own traffic light had turned green. Horrible way to go.

TskTsk wrote: »
    the guy saw the crossing traffic lights turn amber, didn't see oncoming traffic and took off before his own traffic light had turned green. Horrible way to go.

Who, the driver or the cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

Passed there at 12 today. The bike was still there. Very sobering.
    Very sad.

Thoughts to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

el tonto wrote: »
    Who, the driver or the cyclist?

Sorry, should have been clearer. I'm told that the cyclist unfortunately moved off before the light had turned green for him.

[Again, this is what I've been told... didn't see it myself]

bealbocht wrote: »
    Passed there at 12 today. The bike was still there. Very sobering.
    Very sad.

Thoughts to his family and friends.
    Just looking out now and people are placing some flowers on a nearby pole. I have not been able to eat a thing all day thinking about him. Its heartbreaking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

TskTsk wrote: »
    I'm told that the cyclist unfortunately moved off before the light had turned green for him.
    I've seen this so many times when stopped at the lights on top of the bridge: waiting cyclists come right out, past the traffic island, as close to the crosswise stream of traffic as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I passed the scene at about 10:45am heading down the canal on my motorcycle. When I saw the accident up ahead I didn't really want to turn and look tbh.... But I heard some pedestrian shouting about it being a cyclist. I looked over and saw a mangled wreck of a bicycle and a blue sheet over something that looked like a body on the road.

RIP! This is just a horrible loss for his family, friends and even staff at the place where he worked. I felt terrible and far more vulnerable on the rest of my commute to work.

I'd also add to the comments about that junction being terrible. As I'd normally filter to the top of the lights I'd notice that cars tend to fly through amber and red lights to get over it. I'm constantly making liberal use of my horn going past that bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

RIP

+1 on the ghostbike idea.

For every accident there's probably 1000 near misses. Perhaps the white bike will make drivers, and cyclists to a lesser extent, think of the consequences of their actions.

Does Harolds Cross fall under John Gormley's constituency? Perhaps a petition might help him make changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

my route too.
    Poor guy. May he rest in peace. Some mothers son and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

it's your worst nightmare as a cyclist.
    http://newsfeed.tcm.ie/media/images/b/bikedeath.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

It was a horrific scene in Harolds Cross all morning. The chinese guy (the cyclist) was after making his left turn onto Harolds Cross bridge coming from Portabello direction & the cememt lorry was coming from Leonards Corner when the collison happened, the cyclist died instantly.

Do you mean the cyclist was coming on to the bridge from Windsor Terrace and turning left?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

sounds like he came up grove road and turned left onto harolds cross road, or was possibly even going straight through to Parnell road, and the truck came over the bridge from clanbrassil st?

barrabus wrote: »
    Do you mean the cyclist was coming on to the bridge from Windsor Rd and turning left?
    No as far as we know he was coming up the canal from the Portobello and took a left turn onto the Harolds Cross Road, not bridge as previously stated. (like he would of been heading toward Terenure). His body ended up outside Delaneys bicycle shop and the cement truck just past the AM PM shop. Hope that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Raam wrote: »
    I know people who have had close calls at that spot. I've had a few myself. Poor guy.

Same here, its a horrible junction. And why there's a right turn from Harolds X road onto the canal beats the crap out of me, esp when turning right you can't see over the humpback bridge.

I have to feel for everyone here, I've drove trucks for years too and no matter where you put mirrors its just so damn easy for a bike to be lost in a blind spot.

RIP to the poor lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jdscrubs

When you are sharing lanes with pedestrains, if a cyclist was to crash into a pedestrain, the cyclist is highly unlikely to be seriously injured or killed whereas with a collsion with a car is more serious. My main problem with pedestrains is when you have two lanes clearly market, one for pedestrians, the other for cyclists, the pedestrains use the cycle lane and give you a dirty look. Annoying.

Has anyone else noticed the amount of cyclists who cycle at nightime who do not wear a helmet, have lights or any reflective gear. Its shocking the amount

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Has anyone else noticed the amount of cyclists who cycle at nightime who do not wear a helmet, have lights or any reflective gear. Its shocking the amount
    I think there a diference to be made between 'cyclists' and people who 'use a bike to walk faster'. This has been outlined many times on the forums. Most of the people with no lights no helmets, cycling on footpaths etc, don't even call themselves 'cyclists'. I don't think there is a need to start that debate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I almost got sick when I heard about this this morning. As is the case with many others on here, I cycle by there most days. My thoughts are with the poor guys family...

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

I think there a diference to be made between 'cyclists' and people who 'use a bike to walk faster'. This has been outlined many times on the forums. Most of the people with no lights no helmets, cycling on footpaths etc, don't even call themselves 'cyclists'. I don't think there is a need to start that debate again.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Most of the people with no lights no helmets, cycling on footpaths etc, don't even call themselves 'cyclists'. I don't think there is a need to start that debate again.

Certainly not in this thread anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Will definitely make me be a bit more careful from now on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement