Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 5 series Runflatsm any experience???

Options
  • 14-01-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Over the few couple of weeks i'll be heading over to the UK to buy a car for the parents. They are looking for a 08 520d SE (one of the efficient dynamics ones with the low CO2 emissions). Any of the cars they've looked at appear to have run flats as standard. Has anyone any experience of these tyres on this car. I'm a little worried about the ride, they don't want anything too bumpy. They won't be getting M sport suspension. Any opinions?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

My mother has a 320d with runflats and without sports suspension. It's a little thumpy, but not too bad - feels like a car with normal tyres but with bigger wheels. As long as you get a car with standard suspension/wheel size they should be fine, but don't even consider MPacks or larger wheels. By the way, the RFTs are actually very handy when you do get a puncture, particularly for older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Have runflats (17") and my 5 series and in general the ride is fine - fine enough for me not to have bothered opting for non run flats when changing tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

There has been a fair bit of discussion about the pros and cons and you will see strong argument both ways. I am on my second e60 5 series with them and find them grand. Non run flats I'm sure would give a more comfortable ride but I'm happy enough and also havent considered changing. Just be prepared for the expense if you get a puncture - you will almost certainly be told you need a new tyre (whether you do or not has also been discussed a lot here)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

On mayo roads, you cannot run 18" runflats on a 3 series se, steering & ride is impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I have the run flats on my 06 3 series. More than happy with the ride and would not consider changing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated

Advertisement