Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

checking gearbox oil in 1.4l 99 polo

Options
  • 14-01-2009 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

I've been given a loan of this car for the next few months. the gearstick makes a banging noise when I move it to the extreme right. The car hasn't been driven for 8 or 9 months and I'm wondering if there is any oil in the gearbox but can't find any level indicator.
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I've been given a loan of this car for the next few months. the gearstick makes a banging noise when I move it to the extreme right. The car hasn't been driven for 8 or 9 months and I'm wondering if there is any oil in the gearbox but can't find any level indicator.
    Any help appreciated.

You'd need to be under the car to see it, what has probably happened here is the clutch has seized. I've seen this happen before when a car has been parked up for a few months, the clutch linings start to rust but are still sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate so a rust bond forms and the whole thing becomes seized.

Can you get gear or drive the car???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

You would need to have it up on a lift to check the level - there is a fill hole and you check the oil it is level with it.
    If it's only making a noise when the gearstick is moved to the extreme right, it could be a problem with the linkage or the stick itself. Lack of oil in the gearbox would show itself while the car was in motion, in gear.
    You could be just being over worrisome, you should bring it to a mechanic or garage to have it checked out to put you at ease.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Could be a broken mount too.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Darragh29 wrote: »
    You'd need to be under the car to see it, what has probably happened here is the clutch has seized. I've seen this happen before when a car has been parked up for a few months, the clutch linings start to rust but are still sandwiched between the flywheel and pressure plate so a rust bond forms and the whole thing becomes seized.

Can you get gear or drive the car???

Goes into gear and drives no problem, it's only when the stick is in neutral and moved to the extreme right that it makes a noise like hitting a stick off a sheet of tin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Goes into gear and drives no problem, it's only when the stick is in neutral and moved to the extreme right that it makes a noise like hitting a stick off a sheet of tin.

That sounds to me like one of the gear selector rods between the gearstick and the gearbox (there are linkages for this just below the gearstick), is coming into contact with an exhaust heat shield or something metallic under the car.

I doubt it is the gearbox anyway, as this doesn't sound like a gearbox problem.

Get it put up on a lift and you'll probably see some type of contact happening where it shouldn't be, like a slector rod hitting off something. If it is driving and going in and out of gear ok when the engine is running, then the clutch is not seized, it's fine...

• Advertisement
Advertisement