Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner's Questions

• 14-01-2009 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

:DHi there,

After regular lurking (I love the random photos thread!), I want to build up some photography skills......and any help is welcome!

I was thinking of doing classes/camera club as I think it would challenge me more than staying at home and just reading up on photography. Do you guys have any recommendations about what I should do (I'm in Belfast)? I've found two clubs online - Belfast photo imaging club and City of Belfast Photographic Society. Any opinions on these? Or would a course in Belfast met or the Queens lifelong learning centre be better for me?

Next question is what websites/books do you recommend? I'd prefer to start from the beginning, as I have only been snapping away on my digital camera before this, without regard to many of the details I've seen mentioned on this forum!

Sorry if this is long winded, I'm just not sure where to start :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Go out and take pictures of whats around you and experiment, post pictures up here or flickr and have a look at the comments and take what you need from them. I started with a point and shoot and progressed up to a DSLR with no training at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Hi ems
    I don't have any experence with the various camera clubs out there. I'm sure you can't go wrong by joining one. A very good book is called Understanding Exposure. This will take you well past beginner level. You should go out and take loads of photos and experiment as much as possible. The more images you take the better you should become.

Good luck

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nearly forgot about Understanding Exposure.. that seems to be a good recomendation for most people starting off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Joining your local camera club is a good place to start. I learned a huge amount from my local club, and it's even more beneficial when you are starting out.

As for books, the first one to read (and understand!) is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's an excellent introduction and you will find yourself referring back to it and rereading it often.

Advertisement