Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your rent reduction?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭

The topic of rent reductions etc, seems to be coming up alot lately so maybe this would be a good idea for a sticky.

If someone has recently gotten a rent reduction, let us know how much and the general area

Or if you've recently moved and got a lower rent \ bigger apartment for the same money let us know the price and general area

It would be a big help for those of us who are currently looking to know what the market is currently like.

For example, I went looking at a 1 bed apartment last night in Dublin City Center, but it was gone before I got there. The landlord still let us have a look around and while doing so said that he originally had it up for 1200 and was getting very few people calling but as soon as he reduced it to 1000, he got loads of calls and ended up letting it at 1000.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scrambles

The good ole recession - €400 off our rent p/m - now €1600 for 4 dble room house in d7 - friend also had a reduction last week by €400 p/m in d8!!

If you don't ask - you wont get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ladiee24

wow guys you're lucky we've asked & the landlord is so lazy she's not done anything so officially on the look new a new place!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭techdiver

Moving to a brand new 1 bed apartment in Elm Park, Merrion Road, Dublin 4.

58 sq m, free heating and water, originally posted at €1400, got it for €1200.

Beautiful apartment, fully decorated, marble kitchen worktop, best I've seen for this price.

Was currently living in another 1 bed in Stillorgan/Booterstown for the same price. When we told the agent we are moving out they offered to reduce the rent from €1200 to €1000.

It's a renters market at the moment...... make hay while you can people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 zeus faber

I got 200 off 3 bed room in baldoyle,1300 down to 1100,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

I moved in to a 3 bed house in Douglas, Cork for 850 including refuse collection and TV license, from a small 1 bed in Rushbrook, Cobh for which I was paying 630, including heating. The landlord was asking for 900 (which was reasonable already) so I only got 50 reduction.

One of my work colleagues got his rent lowered from 750 to 550 for a 2 bed flat near cork city centre last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

We had a reduction of 250/month (1200 to 950) after 6months into a lease. I'll be pushing for a further reduction if we decide we want to extend the lease after 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

In Galway - beautiful 2 bed house in Dangan - was paying 1200pcm, now 1050pcm which im happy with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 michael_23

I renting a 4 bed in clontarf. Current rent 2000/m. Offered reduction to 1800. Not overly impressed as the house is in a VERY BASIC state of repair.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Kdub

renting 1br apartment €1300 smithfield negotiated down to €1150 am going to be looking for a new flat under €1000!!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

4 bed house in Sandymount went from 3000 to 2500!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickeymoney

We had a reduction of 250/month (1200 to 950) after 6months into a lease. I'll be pushing for a further reduction if we decide we want to extend the lease after 12 months.

nice one, you didnt wait til the end of the lease!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

An update for myself, I got a large 1 bed apartment in Dublin 2 for 1050pm. It was advertised at 1100. I might have been able to get a bit lower but myself and the girlfriend both really liked it and wanted to try and make sure we got it.

I'm going from having a room in a 2 bed apartment in D1 for 550 pm, and my girlfriend is going from having a room in a 2 bed in Smithfield for 650pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 craicster

Paying 1600 for a 4 bed in Booterstown originally 1900, there's a similar house on the same road - asking price is 2500pm! "Hello?? Earth to Landlords... come in Landlords!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

im puting deposit on 5 bed detached in co kildare was 1750 got him down to 1500, currently paying 1400 for 3 bed semi in same area. as soon as lease is up im outta here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dictator

Told the agency that we were moving out of a 5 bed house in Maynooth, the next day the rent was reduced from 1400 p/m to 1200p/m

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Got our rent reduced from 1500 down to 1375 for a 3 double bedroomed house in Killester.
    Definitely planning on looking for a nicer place in May when the lease is up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

rent was 1650 on 2bed apartment in Dublin18. offered reduction to 1500pm by agent, declined. Going rate in area is 1200-1400. asked for 1400 but still being pushed to 1425... looking at some other places at the minute too. not agreeing more than 1400 for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Have phoned estate agent repeatedly for a rent reduction since November and he basically told us where to go. Gave six weeks notice last week and got a reply saying because it was a fixed-term lease we couldn't move out or else we had to pay the rent anyway until our 12 month lease is up in June. Now have to stay put and pay 1300 for a 1 bedroom apartment when there are two beds going in the same building for 1100 a month, sickened by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

jobr wrote: »
    Have phoned estate agent repeatedly for a rent reduction since November and he basically told us where to go. Gave six weeks notice last week and got a reply saying because it was a fixed-term lease we couldn't move out or else we had to pay the rent anyway until our 12 month lease is up in June. Now have to stay put and pay 1300 for a 1 bedroom apartment when there are two beds going in the same building for 1100 a month, sickened by it!

Ask can you sublet the place, if they say no then I believe you can walk. Check your lease to see if it has a subletting provision or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

Thanks Whizzbang, they told us we can sublet but nobody in their right mind will want a 1 bedroom apt for 1300 when they can get it for cheaper right next door...they have us completely cornered!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Landlord rang us today and reduced our rent by a hundred, no pressure from us! Think I might look for somewhere else in a few months anyway, we can get somewhere nicer for what we're paying now even with rent reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Did you bargain with the Agents or Landlords directly in these cases? Looking for a two bed in Dublin 9ish and it seems to all be agents, are they willing to lower the asking price?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

2 bed house in Rathfarnham. Reduced from 1400pm to 1200pm.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

2 bed house in Dun Laoghaire - didn't give the landlord a price, but asked for a reduction. Reduced from 1400 to 1100.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Did you all wait until the end of your leases to ask for a reduction? From what some of you are saying it sounds like you got reductions mid-lease.

I have a one year lease that's not up until October. Currently paying €1400pm for a 2 bed apartment in D18. D'you reckon the agent would tell us where to go if we asked for a reduction now? A lot of two beds in the same complex are down to around €1300pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Viewed a house tonight, it was going for 1050, the landlord said yeah its 1050 or 1000 or 950 and at that, without bargining we got 100 off...........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

No change but my landlord handed me a "lease" dated back to May 08 expiring in May 09. Needless to say I won't be signing it :rolleyes:
    Haven't asked for a reduction, but it is at the lower end of the scale (1 bed flat, 145 per week in Cork city - most are still around 150-160 per week for that kind in that area). I certainly will threaten to leave if she tries to increase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

i see some people have got a reduction mid lease.just wondering did ye have to sign a new lease again where you would be starting a year lease again from the new date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Mina Loy

nothing. ours is 1800 for a ****ty flat near the park. our landlord just put up our rent by 4 euro each a month. if she doesnt sort out a new carpet soon enough were gonna ask for a reduction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 incis

Just rented 1 bed. apartment in Balbriggan for 650 per month. They asked 700 for it. Similar one next door is available for 800..!:eek:
    Just wondering - what could be the reason why there are less and less properties on the market to rent directly from landlords/owners? And more and more from useless (with exeptions of course!) agencies?

Advertisement