Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your rent reduction?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Mina Loy wrote: »
    nothing. ours is 1800 for a ****ty flat near the park. our landlord just put up our rent by 4 euro each a month. if she doesnt sort out a new carpet soon enough were gonna ask for a reduction.

Threaten to leave if the landlord doesn't reduce by 400/month!

Seriously. I've more than a few mates who jumped for the "release equity in your own home so as to buy-to-let". Ordinary folk who fell for the myth-of-more is what it boils down to. They're faced with negative equity (can't sell) and a market that's saturated with rental property. More than one of them is paying out of his own wages to supplement the rental property mortgage.

I'm looking at "To Let" signs all over the city and wondering at folk here celebrating having knocked 100 quit off an 1800 rent!! It's like the reality of the situaton hasn't actually struck home.

Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OverKill

Hi all,

I'm currently renting a 1 bed in drumcondra for 1,100. Having searched through daft.ie tonight, I spotted 3 2 bed apartments for the same money, 2 of which are literally across the road in the same development and the other 5 mins walk. I'm going to give agent a bell and see if they'll do anything for us on it, I love where we are now but my missus had actually lived in the other develoment previously and it was equally as good. 1,100 for a 1 bed is just putting pressure on our pockets at the mo, no bonus's from work currently. I actually rent several apartments on behalf of my boss's own portfolio as an on-the-side thing, and have dropped the rent on 3 of them recently. Just hope the agent will do something similar for us.
    I'll keep you's informed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally moved in 18 months ago and the landlord was looking for 2,400. We offered him 2,300 and he accepted it. Just last week we re-negotiated the rent down to 2,100. Tis a 4 bed fully detached house in Dublin 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 incis

Mina Loy wrote: »
    our landlord just put up our rent by 4 euro each a month.
    The landlord has no legal right to do that!!
    The rent can be increased only ONCE A YEAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

We were paying €1250pm for a two bedroom in Swords, we are halfway through our lease and put togther a list of similar places around Swords with lower prices and sent it off to our landlord and she came back saying she would take €100pm off for us. Happy days!

Everyone should do this, no harm in trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

They were asking for 1250 for a 2 bed in Rathfarnham - got it for 1100. And I think I would have got it for 1000 if I pushed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

3 bed apartment in Cork. Got it down from €1250 to €1075 back in August. Would ask to get it lowered again (down to €1000) only for the fact I'm moving out anyway. It's up on daft as €1050 actually.....

I've also notice that "Internet" and "Cable TV" are listed in the amenities. There is no Cable TV and as of today, the internet is cut off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

My landlord made me an offer to stay for another year for 1000 per month (3 bed semi rent is currently 1400) but he doesnt want us to claim our tax back so that he wont have to register as landlord.... rent is cheap but sonds a bit dodge eh? he was all up for registering to PRTB until he had this idea... would it be worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

We were paying €1700 a month for a 2 bed apartment in Booterstown, requested rent reduction, they came back with a €150 reduction, we took it on a month by month basis as we were not in a position to move(you'd almost think the knew it was a couple of bad months for us).

Luckily I had the foresight to look up our options after the first term of the lease, the landlord and agent wanted us to sign for another year, we refused and said we would only stay on a month by month basis, they accepted this given that they wont find anyone else who will take for anything close to the price they want.

The apartment has now developed damp, its spreading through the entire apartment block,a few neighbors have moved, we prompted them several times but we're getting fobbed off so we will also be looking elsewhere come next payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TomasMan

We are renting 3 bed house in Raheny. Paying 1500€ per month.
    Landlord is actually not planning to lower the rent, and we’re tied by contract till end of May :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Was paying €1200 for a 2-bed in Milltown, D6 since November, have just negotiated a reduction to €1100. I'm fairly certain this could be reduced again later in the year if things go the way I think they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Moved into 1BR apartment in Sandyford in January 2008 at €1200 per month. It's an English company called Mardown, based in the Isle of Man.

Attempted forcefully to negotiate lease down when forst one expired and the market was obviously tanking. They refused point blank and started citing the nice scenery (etc) in the area as a reason for the premium we are paying.

We would have moved out on the spot, but we are moving to Cork in the next two weeks anyway, so we didn't fancy the hassle of finding another Dublin pad for a couple of months.

Very frustrating. The complex of thirty-six units is mostly unoccupied. Some people have recently moved in and I am certain they are paying much less than we are.

Blackglen View, Sandyford (next to Total Fitness Gym, if anyone is wondering).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nohatnoswim

We moved out last December from a very large house in north meath. It was 2300 a month. When we gave notice to landlord, he came back a few days later and said we could have it for 1600 pm !!! Yes - 700 euros.

We declined as we had other reasons for moving out other than price.

Now in a large detached in south meath - 1400pm. Waiting for budget tomorrow before making a decision on how to approach.

I also see that Daft will be releasing a Q1 2009 Rental report at the start of May.

Not sure if we can hold out till that, but will see.

Based on what I've read above, we could pitch a 400 reduction at this stage. No fixed lease, and no committments.

To move could save us between 1500 - 2500 over the year.

Question is, once we pitch that to the landlord, will they be more concerned about the potentially unoccupied house and bend, or will they play hardball !?

Right now, if I was a landlord, I'd be scared !

After years of getting shafted, renters are finallty waking up to, and getting to enjoy, the reality of the free market. Sorry landlords, it's been coming.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We got €300 off our 4 double bed mansion in Chapelizod :) Well it's not a mansion but it's pretty big.

Now €1500 a month or €375 pp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭n0fX

Viewed an apartment in castleknock tonight. Advertised €900 month, we offered €750.

At first he said no then thought about it and said €850 was the lowest he could go.. mortgage bla bla bla.. , we said €800 max and left it with him to get back to us.

Even if he does accept €800 we're still not sure it's good value.

Just to note this is the second time we have negotiated rent down in the last 6 weeks (didn't accept the 1st place), but it does get much easier once you've done it once.

As the saying goes, if you don't ask - you won't get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

n0fX wrote: »
    Viewed an apartment in castleknock tonight. Advertised €900 month, we offered €750.

At first he said no then thought about it and said €850 was the lowest he could go.. mortgage bla bla bla.. , we said €800 max and left it with him to get back to us.

Even if he does accept €800 we're still not sure it's good value.

Just to note this is the second time we have negotiated rent down in the last 6 weeks (didn't accept the 1st place), but it does get much easier once you've done it once.

As the saying goes, if you don't ask - you won't get.

when it comes down to it , its a poker game , his mortgage is not your problem. there are plenty of landlords out there that have theer properties since the 90's , these one's can afford to take the real market rent , either there are more apartments then renters or there isnt.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 anntionette

I am wondering if anyone in reciept of rent supplement is getting a reduction? Sounds like most of these reductions are for professionals and for very big rents. I'm renting a house for 1300 and getting 950 paid by rent supplement directly to landlord , leaving me with 350 to pay p/m. with the budget cuts my supplement will in total be reduced to 900 leaving me to pay the other 50. I want to ask for a reduction from my landlord but as he knows I am living with my boyfriend (please dont judge me) I am worried he might report me. Just wondering if anyone in my situation has asked and recieved a favourable reply? or unfavourable? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭n0fX

I am wondering if anyone in reciept of rent supplement is getting a reduction? Sounds like most of these reductions are for professionals and for very big rents. I'm renting a house for 1300 and getting 950 paid by rent supplement directly to landlord , leaving me with 350 to pay p/m. with the budget cuts my supplement will in total be reduced to 900 leaving me to pay the other 50. I want to ask for a reduction from my landlord but as he knows I am living with my boyfriend (please dont judge me) I am worried he might report me. Just wondering if anyone in my situation has asked and recieved a favourable reply? or unfavourable? Thanks

Yeah.. that's called fraud.

so we are basically paying...
    yeah Fraud alright.
    The state will be coming after you and rightly so. People like you make it so hard for people who really need services to get help.
    Does your boyfriend work? Or does he get state aid also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Teacherman

Let me get this right-last few months I have taken Pension Levy tax increases -all with an unemployed wife. You are a fraudster. No one should be allowed take more than 5 yrs welfare. Single mothers should be made live at home if they are under 25. Might make some think twice before they bring a new life into the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

In Clontarf area - most apartments down €150 - 300!!

I'm in a basement flat - €1150, coming to end of my lease. Was cheap for a two bed so close to town this time last year. Two bed apartment above us (which has more furnishings/storage space) is now on daft.ie for €800! (It's come down €150 since it was advertised last month)

I emailed my landlord saying that €350 is a massive and unfair difference. Wonder if my last rent will be cheaper, that would be nice.

Moving into a large first let penthouse on the quays for same price when lease is up. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,418 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

was paying 650 for a 2 bed apt in Ennis, lease was up so I moved a a few minutes down the road to a much nicer 3 bed semi for 500pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

Getting out of Dublin and thinking of moving to Waterford- 3 bed townhouses are advertised anywhere between €600 to €900. Does anyone have any idea of how flexible landlords will be with rent? Will stretch to €650 for a really nice place - does anyone think that a property advertised for €900 can be negotiated down to €650?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

4 bed house in Rathfarnham, Dublin 14.
    Was €2,000 a month, now €1,600. Rent is lower than it was when I moved in four years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 womble81

2 bed apartment down from €1150 to €1050 in santry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PirateGirl

im paying 900 for a 3bed townhouse in oranmore galway, and just found out a 4bed beside me is going for 725!!! so i asked my landlord for a reduction and he wouldnt budge lower than 850,grrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

was paying 1150 . now 950 but the 2% levy takes it back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

Been living in D14 for the past 5 years, rent has gone up from 1600 to 1900 in the last 3 years for a four bed house. Lease is up in May but managed to get the Landlord, who has been a legend to deal with all in all, down to 1700. Think we're doing reasonably well out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Rayan

PirateGirl wrote: »
    im paying 900 for a 3bed townhouse in oranmore galway, and just found out a 4bed beside me is going for 725!!! so i asked my landlord for a reduction and he wouldnt budge lower than 850,grrrr.

Hi, I would tell him 750 or else you are moving out. You might lose your deposit if you do move out and break the lease, but it will work out cheaper in the long run for you. Example: if you moved into the 4-bed for 725, that is 125 cheaper than your current 3-bed rent. In a year you will save (€125 x 12) = €1500. Tell your landlord about the €725 property. Show him a link.

Until people stop allowing themselves to be over-charged, the market won't return to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Was paying €1200 for a 2bed in Clongriffin last year, decided to move closer to work (walking distance), took a new 1bed at €1200 in the city. Got the LL to reduce the rent to €1100 but there are new 1beds for as low as €900 in the vicinity...however our lease is up in 5months and Clongriffin is starting to look attractive again, the rent prices are heading for the floor and the access to the m50 is excellent, living in the city is tiresome as once the sun goes down you dare not venture out.

I cant wait to be paying less the 1k rent!

Advertisement