Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your rent reduction?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

3 Bed Duplex townhouse in Galway

rent was €1100p.m
    rent now €950p.m

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

Moved from horrible house in Rahoon - 4 beds, 1 and half bathrooms, small garden. Landlord refused to help with general upkeep, the style of the fixtures and fittings were cheap and horrible but we couldn't change it, the windows were not fitted properly so the wind came in, and there was no insulation so it was impossible to heat and we were all always freezing. All of this misery, and more, cost us €850/month, (I care for my disabled mother and have to get by on rent allowance so it is difficult to move and find landlords that will take rent receipts.)

Moved to lovely house in Knocknacarra - 4 beds, 2 and half bathrooms, large-ish garden with built in BBQ. Very close to shops and bus route. Beautiful interior with real wood flooring throughout. It has been a long time since I have loved the place I live so much. It was a family home but the people who lived here moved and couldn't sell it because of the recession, so it has been furnished and the upkeep has been exceptional. Got it all for 875/month. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Mid lease two bed apartment in clontarf was paying €1500 down to €1300

Down €200 .. they gave us another lease but we didnt bother signing it ...

Just lodging €1300 into their account each month. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Took on 6 month lease in Dundrum last September, Nice enough place, 2 bedroom beside luas and town centre, but crippling rent (€1450 p/m).

Girlfriend lost her job 3 days in, D'oh!!!!!!!!!

Renewed in March for €1100 for another 6 months, I reckon I'll get at least another €350 off this September!

There are so many empty apartments round here, LL's would rather get something for them than have them laying empty. In fairness my LL has been great, but I will look for as much off as I can get,we renters seem to have the upper hand now.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭annie.t

€1300 for four bed in Newbridge. Now paying €1200 so only 100 yo-yos less. LL didn't want to go any lower.
    Lease is up in September and I know I won't be staying any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Dictator

remember this is your chance to get a good deal, interest rates have come down so much in the past year. If your rent is 1600+ a month you need to be getting a discount of 350+ a month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I haven't had a reduction but haven't had a rise either. I am at the lower end of the Cork market - paying 145 pw for a 1 bed in north city, but don't want to commit to a lease. There seems to be a good bit going now for a little less than I am paying, not a huge amount though, more than 50% of the 1-beds on daft are still looking for 700 or more per month which is a lot if you are living alone and not earning a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Happy121

The best thing you can do right now is move.

Go onto daft or let.ie or wherever you can find a better priced property.

Landlords are crying out for tenants, they are accepting lower rents than ever, now is the time to move.

If you find somewhere and then decide to renegotiate with your existing landlord, make your offer and then stand firm with your price.

Those of you that pay rent, have been ripped off for so long, now is the time to claw back some of that rent.

Pack your bags, make the move, save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭gunsofbrixton

i'm six months into a 1 year lease with 1200 p/m rent have asked for reduction no budging from landlord .

He has a deposit of 1200 p/m whats the exit strategy will i loose my deposit or will i cancel the direct debit the month previous to leaving and then leg it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

i'm six months into a 1 year lease with 1200 p/m rent have asked for reduction no budging from landlord .

He has a deposit of 1200 p/m whats the exit strategy will i loose my deposit or will i cancel the direct debit the month previous to leaving and then leg it

In short there is no real exit strategy, a lease is pretty gawd damn airtight once you sign the dotted line.

I'm in an almost identical situation, singed a lease 6months ago @€;1200 p/m which was the going rate...different storey now! Luckily the LL knocked €100 p/m off.

It's all down to the LL, if they have any cop on they'll reduce the rent. I reckon my LL is praying to god I'll renew the lease. You should keep at your LL (show examples of what the actual rates are in the area)and promote the fact that reducing the rent now will go a long way to considering renewing the lease.

Trying to cut and run is a bad idea. You'll lose the deposit and you'll be liable for the balance of the rent due to the end of the contract.

You've not got the rub of the green but you signed a lease for what you deemed as 'value' at the time, just because things have gone against you does not mean that you are entitled a rent reduction nor can you shirk on your lease.

If you are stuck paying €1200 for the duration of the lease take heart in the greatly reduced price you'll be paying when the lease is up and with luck your current LL will have an empty property wishing he'd dropped the rent for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

Paying €950 a month for a 4 bed bungalow in Killarney. Recently lost my job. Is it best to put a request for a rent reduction in writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nohatnoswim

Hi All,

So we've finally asked our landlord for a reduction - non specific - just a reduction from 1400. We let them know that we are down about 500 per month now from when we moved in on December 1st.

I personally expect that to get worse before September in this god forsaken sprial.

Their response - they can't afford it !!!!

So, we are not in a fixed term lease and have a months notice with them. Moving is a pain in the @ss as we have quite a bit of stuff, but at this stage - they have made their intentions known.

If they are like this, then we wanna get out of here asap. Not even 50 quid from them.

We are moving into a period of lowering rents - last place we want to be is with a landlord who doesn't like reality and won't negotiate.

C'est la vie. Time to use the only thing we have against them - buying power. God love them - they'll have their empty house back for their scabby stubborness the tight @rsed muppets !!!!

Sigh........rant over........

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

That's incredibly frustrating, nohat. One of two scenarios: they'll waste both their and your time with brinkmanship, finally offering you the reduction you originally wanted with days to go, after you've put in considerable time and effort viewing and negotiating other places. Two of two: you move, and reality sets in with them as they realise they can't rent out the place at even what they can "afford", have to put up with troops of happy timewasters trooping through the place and saying no, and wishing to God they'd just taken your offer.

"They can't afford it." Typical gombeen landlordism = everybody should suffer in this recession, except for me. Have you shown the landlord a list of places that you'd happily move to, at considerably lower rent, not even taking into account the fact that any given rental currently on Daft is immediately open to negotiation? I've been through a few recently (lease is nearly up) and every single person I spoke to was instantly willing to knock a load off the asking without any pressure. (South Dublin, apartments)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

How did people broach the subject with their landlord? Did you just ring them up? What did you say? Just that with the current economy, etc, etc, you'd like a rent reduction? My landlord is really nice and I don't want to piss her off, but I think we're paying about 300 more than other properties in the area at the mo. Lease is up at the end of Nov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

The person above that said if you move you'll save a lot of money is dead right. I was paying 1900 in a four bed house in Dublin 14, lease came around and all we could get it down by was 200. We were going to take it but two of the lads had to move due to work. Looked around, found a four bed apartment 2 mins down the road for 1500. It's a renters' market so don't stay with a place just for the sake of staying. I know moving is a pain but i'm going to saving 100p/m so even with the new tax levies i still have a few €s in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

250 off at last renewal (almost 20% off): apartment in D14. Feeling that could've squeezed up to another 50 off with real hardballing, but no harm everyone coming out of the transaction with a bit of dignity. Don't ask, don't get. Be prepared to stick to your guns; assuming you're a a decent type of renter, the last thing a landlord wants at the moment is to have to find new tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

2 bed apartments in Limerick City have gone from €800 pm to between €400 and €650 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

I live in Kells co. Meath. 4 bedroom house, paying 750 a month, and Landlord wasn't even thinking about putting rent price down. So we had this conversation with him and he said he would need 12 months lease, which we can not agree as my partner might have job in MAyo next year. We shall see what is he going to do.
    Anyways, prices for 4 bedroom houses around Kells are between 600-800.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

I live in Kells co. Meath. 4 bedroom house, paying 750 a month, and Landlord wasn't even thinking about putting rent price down. So we had conversation with him and he said he would need 12 months lease, which we can not agree as my partner might have job in MAyo next year. We shall see what is he going to do. some people are greedy.

Anyways, prices for 4 bedroom houses around Kells are between 600-800.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

2 bed apartments in Limerick City have gone from €800 pm to between €400 and €650 :eek:

You find a good apartment with 2 bedrooms for less than 650 and ill move out of my current place,the majority of them are utter kips and thats why theyve dropped the price so much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 buildingahome

Currently renting in North Cork for 600 per month, two bed "Cottage" in need of super overhaul. mega dampness. Anywhoo, we got fifty quid off in the New Year, but it's not enough, pumping heating oil into it to stop my clothes turning green mouldy so going about another reduction this evening. Totally prepared to move ASAP to a much newer and bigger place for the same money, closer to town.
    Fingers crossed cos I really don't want to have to pack again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I got a reduction of 300 after asking my landlord mid lease. It's a no strings attached decrease (from 1650 to 1350 for a 3 bed semi in Ballinteer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Got €150 off in September at lease renewal and then a further €350 mid lease!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

€250 reduction with 3 months left on lease, signed for another 12 months from reduction date.
    2 bedroom, 2 bathroom duplex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Was paying €1200 for a 4 bed in Kilkenny. I've been here for 2 years. I asked for a reduction last month. Landlord got back with a €150 reduction, so down to €1050. Said that anything lower, it wouldnt be worth renting it out. I cannot fathom this argument. Why leave a house vacant? Anyway we agreed on this, but one of the girls in the house lost her job recently and is now on rent allowance. Landlord is refusing to accept this, so we've been asked to leave. I dont think this is very fair. Not sure if its legal. Nonetheless, we've found a nicer house for €1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

3 bed in Dunrdum. On open ended lease. Was 1800 last year - Landlord reduced to 1500 in new year of his own bat.

Last month looked at similar house in area for rent for 1400 and bargained them down to 1200 and then went to my own landlord with this info..
    Got reduced to 1200 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

How do you negotiate a rent reduction. I find it kind of ridiculous the government expects us to do it ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

2 bed apt in kildare, very nice and spacious sitting room and kitchen. Rent was €850 when we took it in august. noticed apt in same estate for well less in Feb and approached landlord saying we couldn't possibly stay when there's better value elsewhere. Rent dropped by 100!!! result.

Now we are looking for a house to rent but can't understand how so many houses in the area are remaining so high!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Paying 1050 with a mate for a two bed apartment. Which was a good price 13 months ago, we haggled for that.

Looking at daft, you can rent a two bed in the same estate for 850 and one is available at 800.

Asked for a rent review, didn't get a reduction, see ya landlord! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

How do you negotiate a rent reduction. I find it kind of ridiculous the government expects us to do it ourselves.
    First look up daft and find similar places and note prices quoted. Ring a few of them and see what you can bargain them down to.
    Then send Landlord a note saying rents on similar places are cheaper and you don't think you can afford to keep paying his/her rent and that it's a pity because you really like the place.
    See what they come back with. This only works if you are a good tenant - a clever landlord will realise that better to have a place rented at a lower rent for a full year than empty for half a year at the same rent and will also know that good tenants are hard to find.
    I live in an area filled with empty rentals, the landlords advertise in the paper every single week at the same rate as last year. Some of them, having had their places empty for 6-10 months have started renting to undesirables, which means that other renters in the area, including me are moving out and moving on.
    If they had lowered their prices in the first place they wouldn't have lost so much.

Advertisement