Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your rent reduction?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

How do you negotiate a rent reduction. I find it kind of ridiculous the government expects us to do it ourselves.
    Why would you expect the government to step in? Interference by the government on rents (whether exerting downward or upward pressure) is not a good thing.

It's up to you. Would you like the government to negotiate a good deal on a car for you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

Anyone living in 1 bed apartment in Stillorgan/Sandyford area got rent reduction recently? Or anyone recently moved into the area got good deal on rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

Why would you expect the government to step in? Interference by the government on rents (whether exerting downward or upward pressure) is not a good thing.

It's up to you. Would you like the government to negotiate a good deal on a car for you? :rolleyes:

Smartass, the government cut rent allowance and outright said we had to negotiate a rent reduction ourselves. The fact that a lot of people getting rent allowance are going to be disabled, many of whom have mental illness such as myself, is pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Smartass, the government cut rent allowance and outright said we had to negotiate a rent reduction ourselves. The fact that a lot of people getting rent allowance are going to be disabled, many of whom have mental illness such as myself, is pretty awful.

Not at all. Rent allowance just provides a leg-up for those more in need in a scarce market. The market is anything but scarce these days, so rent allowance simply constitutes a 'floor price' for the benefit of landlords. If it were to be abolished altogether, it would be a great day for tenants, as the market would be free from an artificial government intervention.

Negotiating a reduction these days doesn't require the balls of steel you might think; a simple daft.ie price list comparison of similar properties to wave around does the job just perfectly. If a landlord doesn't budge, move. He/she will regret the stubbornness once you're gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

When you're looking around for lower rents in your area you should also check the extras - does the landlord pay for refuse collection, lawn cutting, chimney cleaning etc. Some do some don't but if the landlord is locked into a fixed rate on the mortgage of the property he may not be able to afford to lower the rent but he might agree to provide extras for the current rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭techdiver

When you're looking around for lower rents in your area you should also check the extras - does the landlord pay for refuse collection, lawn cutting, chimney cleaning etc. Some do some don't but if the landlord is locked into a fixed rate on the mortgage of the property he may not be able to afford to lower the rent but he might agree to provide extras for the current rent.

Whether or not he is locked into a fixed rate mortgage or not is irrelevant. The rent is dictated by the market. If the landlord/landlady cannot afford it that is not the tenants problem. Investment carries a risk and you have to take the good with the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

I have no real interest in whether landlord is stuck in fixed rate or not - my point was that some are quite happy to supply additional extras. I could have moved and saved 100 per month but to be honest didn't want hassle of moving... instead I negotiated and now TV, broadband and bins paid for each month, got a new dishwasher and a free week rent at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sinhead09

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone down the country having any joy with reductions??
    We're just looking at new places in Kilkenny and rent for a 2 bed apt is anywhere from €550 - €700. Has anyone had any luck bargaining with agencys to get rent down? Some of the places we're going to view are on daft.ie for about a month now so Im thinking there might be some room for bargaining the €700 pm ones down to €600.....

Is it worth bringing evidence of apartments / houses in the same estates / complexes at cheaper prices in order to bargain?

Cheers...x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭AngelinaJolie

Sinhead09 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is anyone down the country having any joy with reductions??

Our house was advertised at €900 in Waterford and we got the agency/landlord down to €820 ! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

12 month lease up at the end of August, contacted landlord 6 weeks before end of lease to open talks to negotiate rent.

3 weeks of ignoring us ensued, and then he went on vacation (and out of contact), so we found another (larger) place for 25% cheaper.

He's still not back from vacation so I expect he'll get a nasty surprise when he finds our notice (which was served in good time but he won't see it until it's too late, which isn't our problem)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

Currently paying €1800 a month for a 4 bedroom (all doubles) large flat in Rathmines. Does anyone see a chance of getting it pushed down to €1600?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 craicster

V large 2 bed just let in Rathmines, in excellent condition for 1220pm with parking and refuse collection included. You could get that 4 bed to 1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 craicster

Also have a friend trying to rent is place in Edgeworthstown for 400 for a new 3 bed. GFCH. Will accept rent allowance (if he's lucky enough to get it!). One of the houses in the estate went for 350.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Ive asked for a further reduction, our wages have gone down too much not to ask, if they say no we are going to move, we got another lease three months ago but we never signed it, can we still get our deposit if we leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Lease is up the end of the month thank god, 1200 for a one bed !!! Got it down to 1100 for the last few months but still nuts money.

Put a deposit down on a great place, 2double beds (one small double now), 2 baths (one now), dishwasher (none now), views of howth head and Dublin mountains (views of other aparments now), real leather suite with a recliner seat (pleather suite now), all for 1050.

Both me and the GF have had slight wage increases in the past year and rent has gone from 1200 to 1050 and space has doubled.

Whatever way rental prices go I feel that this is worth the money...canny wait to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I had a chat with my landlord there about a rent reduction and he said the best he could give us was €50 off per month, ie from €1100 to €1050. We live in a one-bedroom flat 25 mins walk from Dublin city centre in a very nice suburb!

He said that he's getting hit by the introduction of rates in the next few months, and that that is all he can afford himself. Has anybody else heard of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

well if you can find something cheaper elsewhere, move out.

What the landlord can or can't afford isn't your problem. It's business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Who cares what rates he has to pay! If you're not happy with the reduction then leave, and it does sound like a lot for a 1 bed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

it does sound like a lot for a 1 bed

It's very spacious and the area is really nice. We'll talk to him again and say €1,000 or we're out. There seems to be plenty of accommodation around now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I got a €100 reduction. So my rent went from €1250 to €1150. That's for a two bedroom apartment on George's Street in Dublin 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Chefdf

This isn't really a reduction in rent as we only took the house 2 months ago. But anyway we got a four bed house in rathmines for €1400 a month which we think is a serious deal.

One quick question while im here. We took the house on a year lease but should be finish in dublin after 6 months. Should be easy to get somebody to move in but just out of interest does anybody know what rights a tenant has in regard to breaking a lease. e.g can we give a months notice, can landlord chase rent etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Do you think I would be in a position to ask for a reduction in rent? Im renting a two bedroomed house in South Co Dublin, since the end of February, it was a advertised at 1195 but I haggled the rent down to 1120 - wondering would it be bad form of me to ask for another reduction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

LadyE wrote: »
    Do you think I would be in a position to ask for a reduction in rent? Im renting a two bedroomed house in South Co Dublin, since the end of February, it was a advertised at 1195 but I haggled the rent down to 1120 - wondering would it be bad form of me to ask for another reduction?

Did you sign a lease? Check on daft.ie and see what the going rate is for similar lettings and if they are cheaper then quote these examples when you are asking for a reduction :D Whats the worse they can do? Say no :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

Chefdf wrote: »
    One quick question while im here. We took the house on a year lease but should be finish in dublin after 6 months. Should be easy to get somebody to move in but just out of interest does anybody know what rights a tenant has in regard to breaking a lease. e.g can we give a months notice, can landlord chase rent etc......

As far as I know, new legislation brought into protect tenants states that a tenant can break a year lease after 6 months, provided that they have given the landlord 1 months notice. The tenant is still entitled to have their security deposit refunded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Same As wrote: »
    As far as I know, new legislation brought into protect tenants states that a tenant can break a year lease after 6 months, provided that they have given the landlord 1 months notice. The tenant is still entitled to have their security deposit refunded.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Same As

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Same As wrote: »

That is only if you have no lease signed. If you signed a lease for a year then you owe the landlord a years worth of rent. The only way out of it is if the landlord refuses to allow you to sub-let the place to annother tennant.

You have basically signed a contrat for a year so you can't just walk away. If you try and walk away the landlord can persue you for the unpaid rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Did you sign a lease? Check on daft.ie and see what the going rate is for similar lettings and if they are cheaper then quote these examples when you are asking for a reduction :D Whats the worse they can do? Say no :P
    I signed a years lease. Sent the email off, no response yet

• Registered Users Posts: 31 acorn1984

2 bed apartments in Limerick City have gone from €800 pm to between €400 and €650 :eek:

Errm...where are these apartments?!!

Currently paying 800 pm for nice 2-bed apartment. Was cheaper than others in same complex when we got it, but at the moment cheapest I can see 800.

Do I stand a chance for a reduction? Lease is up soon, and we can no longer afford 800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lobber

Am in a 2 bed apartment. Had rent reduced last Feb by €100 (from €850). Was looking to get a house instead and probably could have until I saw the apartment next door was available for €620.
    Brought this to the landlords attention and our rent is now down to €650.
    Sweet!:D

Advertisement