Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your rent reduction?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nohatnoswim

So, I posted back in May - #73 above - Scabby Landlords who "Couldnt afford" to reduce the rent.

I've seen the news today, read the new daft report, and had a browse through Daft today.

Tonight it's show time..........

This is on the 6 One news and the 9'O Clock news aswell.

I'm going to give them a call at 9:30 and give them a last chance.

They need to go from 1400 to 1000 to keep us, but I'm not even going to mention a figure to them.

I've found a similar place for 1000, 950 and 750 aswell not a stones throw from here.

Last time we spoke they used Daft as an excuse using a house up the road asking for 1500 as defence for their rate. It's time for them to have another look at the only places up the road on DAFT now !

Here goes nothing....... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Chefdf

whizzbang wrote: »
    That is only if you have no lease signed. If you signed a lease for a year then you owe the landlord a years worth of rent. The only way out of it is if the landlord refuses to allow you to sub-let the place to annother tennant.

You have basically signed a contrat for a year so you can't just walk away. If you try and walk away the landlord can persue you for the unpaid rent.

Does that mean the only way we can use the clause same as was on about above is if the landlord refuses to let us find new tenants?

Because the link given kinda says we can give notice whenever we want??

Does anybody have any definitive answer on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

You signed a 1 year lease - if you want to get out of it you have to ask your LL if you can sublet the remaining lease. If he agrees and you find someone then you can leave. If he does not agree to this, you can then give notice - the amount you give is based on the time you have been there.

You cannot JUST give notice and leave - you must request to sublet and go down this avenue, otherwise you are liable for the remaining rent owing

6. Can the tenant leave before the end of the lease?
    If a tenant wants to leave before the end of the lease (and there is no break clause), the tenant needs to:
    • Find someone else to replace the existing tenant in the lease;
    • Write to the landlord, requesting permission to assign the lease to this new person.
    If the landlord refuses consent, the tenant can give the landlord notice of termination and leave. The notice period is calculated by how long the tenant has lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Have had rent reduced by ~24% from a year ago. And a new fit out thrown in.

So I rang the Landlord up and they told me they would get back to me.

On Thursday night, I got a call from himself (I had originally talked to herself).

He asked if we could discuss this in person on Saturday week when they were up to have a poke around the house.
    I was taken aback and said yes, call ended.

Then I was talking to the missus about it and I started to get angry. Why the hell was he making us wait until the 28th - 10 days - before he would even discuss a figure. So I rang him back.

I advised him that he was more than entitled to not answer for 10 days, and that given our uncertainty, we couldn't guarantee we wouldn't be looking for somewhere else in the meantime as we had no guarantees from him.

He was fine with that. He's playing complete and utter hardball.

He believes his house is the best house that can be got for this money - I advised him that it wasn't, that I had found similar properties for 500 euros per month cheaper - he insisted they wouldnt be as good as his. I left him at that as it was going nowhere.

What it did show me is that this guy's ass puckers up at the thought of redicing the rent a few quid - and after having a chat with our gardner, (who the LL pays for), I got the confirmation I needed - exactly the same message ! She's grand, he's as tight as they come.

So now we wait. They come up to do their inspection, and meanwhile we are looking for a house. He's certainly going to negotiate the rent down, but how far is the question. We'll see. IN the meantime, it's time to prepare to move - and we are now in hunt and move mode.........again !!!

It's so frustrating to be renting in a house with a landlord like this. He may well end up with an empty house for a year, but obviously he would rather do that than give us a deacent rent reduction.......strange logic for a tight arse - seems self defeating to me, but that's his right I guess.

My right is to get away from him asap as I can only imagine what lies ahead with this guy if there were any real issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Ive a meeting with the landlord tonight about lease thats up next month. Got rent reduced to 1150 from 1250 last year. Looking at reducing lower again say maybe 1000. Should i ask him how low can he go or go straight in with the 1K pm. 2bed apart in rathfarnham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

craicster wrote: »
    V large 2 bed just let in Rathmines, in excellent condition for 1220pm with parking and refuse collection included. You could get that 4 bed to 1500.

That's exactly what I got! :D

Started him out on 1300, he laughed and said he wouldn't go a cent lower than 1600. I said how about 1500 and we shook. 45 secs total negotiation time!

WooHoo to 375 a month for a giant double room to myself! It includes internet and garbage.

So, They came, and inspected the house. All was fine as expected - we had it nice and tidy for them.

Then we talked money. The poor man had great difficulty in discussing the topic of money - the discomfort was obvious. He propsed bringing from 1400 to 1200, but that was conditional on us taking on the gardening - a weekly task which probably takes 2 hours in the tractor lawnmower - and of course we pay the fuel !

Moving forward into next year, if we were to stay, the deal would also be 1200 for the year.

We're not happy - but not going to debate with these people. I'm suspecting he never watches the news or reads a paper !

More DAFT for us it seems ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

So, They came, and inspected the house. All was fine as expected - we had it nice and tidy for them.

Then we talked money. The poor man had great difficulty in discussing the topic of money - the discomfort was obvious. He propsed bringing from 1400 to 1200, but that was conditional on us taking on the gardening - a weekly task which probably takes 2 hours in the tractor lawnmower - and of course we pay the fuel !

Moving forward into next year, if we were to stay, the deal would also be 1200 for the year.

We're not happy - but not going to debate with these people. I'm suspecting he never watches the news or reads a paper !

I wouldn't like dealing with your landlord at all, you'll save yourself a fortune by moving out. But give him an ultimatum, "reduce the rent to €1000 or consider this our months notice". It's worth a try if you're making plans to move out anyway.

Hi Jape,

That is exactly what I will do once we have found a viable new place to move into. I dont' want to call their bluff and have nowhere to live after a few weeks !

Some country we live in ! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Live in 1 bedroom flat, 1st floor, Waterville, Dub-15. Rent reduced from 825 Euros to 775. Is tht ideal rent, or am I paying too much??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 franny1

Asking you to the gardening is cheeky indeed. Think about how much you get per hour in work and multiply this by 8 per month. So if your on 25e per hour(assume this) net tax, your not actually getting a rent reduction!

Just send him the notice by registered letter without even negotiating further.If he wants to reduce futher, he will ring ye me thinks!

Good luck house/apt hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

Zoodlebop wrote: »
    WooHoo to 375 a month for a giant double room to myself! It includes internet and garbage.

Where's that house?

I'm in Clontarf at €400 per month for single room in 3 spacious 3 bedroom house. Not bad at all, but have a feeling it could be reduced by around €50....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 than

In Cork, 3 bed house was 1400 now reduced to 1250, am thinking of asking my LL to reduce it by another 100eurs but don't how to, so am thinking of moving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

Wuhoo got my wish, BIG house in Clontarf, double bed, large sitting room etc, €350 a month. (for room in 3 bedroom house)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

really, i mean its a two bed house. it does seem others are doing the same and i mean were kinda 'entitled' to it arent we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Im in a 3bed semi in swords, gorgeous house. Wanted 1300e for it, but managed to negotiate this down to 950e per month provided it wasnt furnished (suited me perfectly, my mam was redoing her gaf so we had a couch and tables/chairs and i already owned a lovely double bed myself)
    Think im doing well considering this is the same rent I was paying one a large one bed apartment near the airport last year! Gwan recession.

That said, Im kinda sick of paying rent-someone give me a mortgage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 s1986coc

was paying 400 euro for room in small 3 bed flat in D4 now down to 367 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭modmuffin

Currently paying €1050 for a 1 bed apartment in Donnybrook

Just put a deposit on a 3 bed house in Knocklyon, newly renovated with brand new kitchen :)
    Advertised at €1250, negotiated down to €1150 but have agreed to sign a 2 year lease with a review after 12 months.

We're expecting a baby in January so happy to have somewhere to settle for a couple of years while saving for a deposit for a house and hopefully watch prices continue to fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Renting a room in dublin 8, got a reduction of 120E a month :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Azureus wrote: »

That said, Im kinda sick of paying rent-someone give me a mortgage :(
    You're like the woman with the Virginia ham
    under each and you're crying cos you got no bread. LL is subsidising your living nicely.where abouts in swords

Advertisement