Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Independent Vehicle Inspections

Options
  • 14-01-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Was wondering have many people had these done before buying a 2nd hand car before? Are the AA or Cartell assessments worth the money and how in depth do they really look into the workings of an engine?

Are there any other options outside of Cartell or AA?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Had one done in the UK (AA) before buying a car there. It was the best money I ever spent to be honest. It showed up all sorts of issues that I had missed in my own inspection. Main thing was a fairly major crash damage repair which was discovered using a paint thickness meter.

Didn't buy in the end and bought a different car after it got the all clear following a second inspection. That time not one single problem was discovered.

The inspection is by sight, feel and sound only and nothing will be dismantled to assist inspection so it is limited by that I suppose. For the first inspection, the garage did not provide anything to the inspector so he was forced to use jacks and axle stands to look underneath which limited him a little. The second one the guy used a section of the garages workshop complete with lifts so he could look at everything.

I think it covers something in the region of 150 separate items including a 5 mile roadtest.

I would strongly recommend it. However make sure you do everything else you can think of to check out your car beforehand as it will quickly get very expensive if you are buying one inspection after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

How much did it cost you?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Jeez, can't remember exactly. I think all in including a vehicle data check was something like £135.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jeez, can't remember exactly. I think all in including a vehicle data check was something like £135.
    Money well spent, am thinking of getting a car in the UK and will most certainly be getting it checked out.

Advertisement