Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I block a mobile number from calling my number?

• 14-01-2009 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Someone I dont want to talk to keeps ringing me. Is there a way to block their number from calling my mobile number?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

Yes. Send a written request to your network operator and they will be able to bar the number from calling you. They cannot bar texts though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

I think newer symbian phones by downloading a program have the option and some samsung phones have the option to block call? What model phone do you use?

You can bar texts yourself on the phone.
    Like a spam filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Moonbaby wrote: »
    You can bar texts yourself on the phone.
    Like a spam filter.

How do ya do that Moonbaby :confused:

My phone is a samsung. Maybe it isnt an option on others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Ask your operator to bar the calls and they should do it. You may have to do this in writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

As far as I'm aware, all Samsung handsets have a built-in incoming call and sms bar option for up to 10 numbers. I had a Samsung D600 which had it and every Samsung handset I’ve seen within the last few years, which is about half a dozen, also have the option.

The Nokia 1600 and 2310 also have an incoming sms bar for up to 10 numbers and the option can probably be found on a few other Nokia handsets too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Rsaeire wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, all Samsung handsets have a built-in incoming call and sms bar option for up to 10 numbers. I had a Samsung D600 which had it and every Samsung handset I’ve seen within the last few years, which is about half a dozen, also have the option.

The Nokia 1600 and 2310 also have an incoming sms bar for up to 10 numbers and the option can probably be found on a few other Nokia handsets too.

Nice touch. Has never been an optio on the higher end Nokias AFAIK.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nokia do have software available to download that allows you to filter calls by black/white list job. Its a bit more advanced then I am describing but does what you require.

It is built into the E71/E51 (stabbing a guess and saying the E series in general). Apparently the software is becoming more popular.

I was unaware you could contact your network provider and ask for a block without the Gardai intervention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I think you only need garda intervention to find out who is ringing you if you are getting nuisance calls from private numbers. Right to privacy and all that. There is no legal problems in blocking who you want to block.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭waghag

I still have a nokia 1600 - anyone know how to block calls on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

waghag wrote: »
    I still have a nokia 1600 - anyone know how to block calls on it?

Menu > Settings > Call Settings > No. Screening. Enter the number in the +3538xxxxxxxx format (not 08xxxxxxxx).

It doesn't actually block the calls though. The call will still come into your phone but the phone won't alert you (no ringtone/vibration). Messages will be filtered into the screened messages folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bazjnr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

this is possible for call (must request operator), for text you must do it yourself. It should tell you how in the instruction manual.

Advertisement