Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Service for VW Golf- rip off?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

ones of my friends got quoted 250euro for a full service on 1.4 vw golf. Just wondering is this expensive

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Not really no. Sounds fairly reasonable IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jackblack99

ye though the same myself cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

ones of my friends got quoted 230euro for a full service on 1.4 vw golf. Just wondering is this expensive

Sounds a bit OTT to me. Over 200 Euro is over the top for this I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Fairly expensive, as I guess if it needs anything else done on it other than the normal it will be extra.

Oil, plugs, filters, will only set you back 60/70 euro in a motor factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

ehh the mechanic is entitled to survive and put bread and water on the table.

• Advertisement

dp639 wrote: »
    Fairly expensive, as I guess if it needs anything else done on it other than the normal it will be extra.

Oil, plugs, filters, will only set you back 60/70 euro in a motor factors.

No that includes everthing changed

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

if it was a meain dealer that your friend went ot then im not suprised at the price they quoted.

you may be better off to try a local mechanic as the main dealers are sure to rip you off - particulary BMW, VW and Merc garages.

martydunf wrote: »
    if it was a meain dealer that your friend went ot then im not suprised at the price they quoted.

you may be better off to try a local mechanic as the main dealers are sure to rip you off - particulary BMW, VW and Merc garages.

No this is with a local Mechanic. Personally I thought it was decent enough

No that includes everthing changed

Yes everything required for a normal service (which would set you back 60/70 euro in Motor factors).

If the car goes in and the exhaust/brake pads/etc gone will that not be extra??

Maybe I'm wrong?

did the mechanic buy the new parts or did ye get them yourselves.....i think its a bit pricey tbh

• Advertisement

Yes everything required for a normal service (which would set you back 60/70 euro in Motor factors).

If the car goes in and the exhaust/brake pads/etc gone will that not be extra??

Maybe I'm wrong?

Oh right ye well in that case i suppose it would be extra for exhaust or anything like that. But sure you cant expect everything wrong with the car to be fixed for 230 either ya no

martydunf wrote: »
    did the mechanic buy the new parts or did ye get them yourselves.....i think its a bit pricey tbh

The mechanic got the parts for him. What do you think would be a good price????

id say bout €150 would be a decent nuff price . €200 max

Oh right ye well in that case i suppose it would be extra for exhaust or anything like that. But sure you cant expect everything wrong with the car to be fixed for 230 either ya no

Yes I agree completely with you, that exactly what I am getting it, if its for the oil, filters, plugs then 230 is way over priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Yes I agree completely with you, that exactly what I am getting it, if its for the oil, filters, plugs then 230 is way over priced.

I'd say around 180 Euro would be a proper price for this. 230 Euro is OTT for this job. Say you tie down the cost of parts at around 70 Euro, and you say this is a 2 hour job in terms of labour, which is typical for a full service...

This means a labour rate of around 67.50/Hr x 2 hours.

Parts costing 70 Euro.

VAT @ 13.5% costing you: 27 Euro

Total: 232 Euro...

I suppose when you break it down like that, it seems reasonable enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement