Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I stop wasps returning to my attic?

• 14-01-2009 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Our wasps seem to have finally died off after the recent cold spell. We had a nest in our attic last summer. They were coming and going over our bedroom window until close to Christmas. Our biggest problem with them was when they started to die and we were finding them crawling on the bedroom floors upstairs in the kids rooms for months. I dont know how they got down from the attic except maybe where the pipework comes down into the bathroom, but they were never on the bathroom floor- always in the bedrooms. So now would seem to be a good time to make our attic a less des res for this year's queens. Anyone know how?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

MMA wrote: »
    Our wasps seem to have finally died off after the recent cold spell. We had a nest in our attic last summer. They were coming and going over our bedroom window until close to Christmas. Our biggest problem with them was when they started to die and we were finding them crawling on the bedroom floors upstairs in the kids rooms for months. I dont know how they got down from the attic except maybe where the pipework comes down into the bathroom, but they were never on the bathroom floor- always in the bedrooms. So now would seem to be a good time to make our attic a less des res for this year's queens. Anyone know how?
    I had wasps in my shed this year. I've been told if you leave the old nest there then any new intruders will be less likely to settle in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wasps don't re-use a hive so they may not be back at all. If they gained access through a hole in the facia boards I suggest you repair it as if the attic was attractive to one Queen last year, then another may find it similarly so in 2009, 2010...

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

:) I just watched to see where the wasps were getting into the attic, and sealed it up with general purpose outdoor sealer ( at nighttime of course when wasps were asleep !! ) . worked a treat for the next year. no more wasps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MMA

Thanks all. Anyone know when those new queens are due out to start their househunting?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

I live in Castleknock, Dublin for over 20 years. Have always noticed them end of April - Mid May. You cant miss them, big solitary wasps nosing around. Just keep your eyes peeled especially in garden sheds, and around the soffet and fascia of your house. They will try to crawl in where they can. If you can spray them , then you dont even have to worry about a nest later on. I have often caught these Queens in my garden shed with a half built nest. Just spray the Cr*p out of it !!! I know, I know I am a Murderer !!!

good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As I said in an earlier thread on this topic ' Kill em all'.
    Nuke em till they glow. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

I did this one year when I heard a wasp in the attic.

Looked outside and saw where they were getting in, and sprayed the "scouts".. It worked fine.
    Tigerbaby wrote: »
    I live in Castleknock, Dublin for over 20 years. Have always noticed them end of April - Mid May. You cant miss them, big solitary wasps nosing around. Just keep your eyes peeled especially in garden sheds, and around the soffet and fascia of your house. They will try to crawl in where they can. If you can spray them , then you dont even have to worry about a nest later on. I have often caught these Queens in my garden shed with a half built nest. Just spray the Cr*p out of it !!! I know, I know I am a Murderer !!!

good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,646 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

From wikipedia
    The type of nest produced by wasps can depend on the species and location. Many social wasps produce paper pulp nests on trees, in attics, holes in the ground or other such sheltered areas with access to the outdoors. By contrast solitary wasps are generally parasitic or predatory and only the latter build nests at all. Unlike honey bees, wasps have no wax producing glands. Many instead create a paper-like substance primarily from wood pulp. Wood fibers are gathered locally from weathered wood, softened by chewing and mixing with saliva. The pulp is then used to make combs with cells for brood rearing. More commonly, nests are simply burrows excavated in a substrate (usually the soil, but also plant stems), or, if constructed, they are constructed from mud.

If you apply a treatment/paint the wood surfaces in your attic, it might stop the little bastards from thinking its a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

Talking of wasps. I found a wasp climbing up one of my blinds in the living room last night. It didn't look to healthy but was really surprised to see one in Jan and especially with all the snow as well. Anyone have any ideas where it might have come from?

Advertisement