Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

......Niall Mellonship Township Trust......

• 14-01-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi Guys......
    Off to Capetown with the Niall Mellon Township Trust in March just wondering has anyone gone?
    Dying to know what people thought of it and what was it like.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 leonofarrell

Hey ,just back from my second trip,an amazing humbling experience again,your foreman will have a timetable and the amount of houses to complete,the first day is a bit hectic,whats your profession? are you going to Kayleitsha? where are you staying?

A few tips

Be careful on site,it can be intimidating,dont go anywhere alone at nightime in Cape Town,get a taxi there very cheap,use common sense,pay attention to your security briefing and you"ll be ok.

All in all you"ll have a brilliant time,meet some great people with the same work ethic and come home a better person wanting to go back.Let me know if you need more info, Leon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Like Leon I was there before. Its fab. You'll have a ball... a tiring, dirty ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Some good friends went on the first project.... loved it.
    Fair play to ya.
    Africa's a beautifull place to visit, and a terrible place to visit too. We have nothing to complain about here....go see the slums and nothing will ever get you down again.

Once again fair play, and best of luck to Niall and his crew... wish he'd get into politics here, we could do with someone like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Do all the volunteers with the Niall Mellon trust have to have a trade? Im interested in volunteer work abroad maybe during the summer but have no idea what group to get involved with :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andyournameis

Leon,

was it expensive over there,how much money will I need to bring... just got my pack the other day... Still don't know what I will be doing over there yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

went in november,brought 500 worth of rand and came back with change!!great place,great people and very cheap.

al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 BassyDave

My dad is heading off to South Africa in November with the Niall Mellon Township Trust.
    He needs to raise €5,000 so he needs all the help he can get.

https://www.mycharity.ie/event/fran_murphys_event

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I was looking to go in october as part of the medical team but college means i cant, would love to go one of these years, have heard fantastic things about it

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭andyournameis

Thanks to everyone to gave me information before I left.....Lads, I'm just back went in March this year...Was it brilliant it sure was, I'm going to head back hopefully next year, Any one who is just thinking about stop thinking and go and do it, I have made the most amazing friends from this, Our reunion is next week I can't wait to meet them all again I really miss them :-(....I went on my own to do the Township, you don't need a trade as long as you are able for hard work.... Your day goes from 6am to 6pm... We had a few lads from college that did it, great craic and they are heading back too next year... It is so rewarding, one minute you are so happy the next you are crying cause the people are so poor... BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 falinx

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to express my shock at this niall mellon con artist. At first I thought it was some sort of joke that you had to pay 5k euro to go over to south africa and use your time to build houses for the poor... then I realised it wasn't a joke and it's a serious event. First of all let me just say south africa has an abundance of wealth, I believe it is the 2nd largest producer of gold in the world. The fact of the matter is that the government should be welcoming your skills and paying you to go over there and build houses. I have no idea what possesses people to pay money out of their own pockets to go and build these houses but you are getting 100% scammed. If you want to go over to southa africa and see what is going on there, by all means go, it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world (btw you have to see wilderness, I would love the opportunity to live there some day). But to pay someone to go over to a wealthy country like that so you can slave away for them is just an unacceptable concept. The government is currently building houses for the poverty stricken people but of course that is filled with corruption (as I believe most of Africa is, and I know this is a skewed process because I spoken to one of the black people in johannesburg that is entitled to a free ... I will repeat that... free house.) and guess how they're doing it? Your time and your money, what happens to money in south africa? Well it just randomly goes missing all the time, there are blackout periods in parts of the country because the power stations weren't upgraded, why? well the money for the upgrades "just went missing".

So all I am saying is donating to a charity that would affect their lives directly is definitely a better way of doing things. But this whole scam is just insane, is your guilt really that large?

PS The ride through johannesburg with all the BMW's and mercedes' driving past you should be a real eye opener and bear in mind you might look at this and think well it's apartheid's fault that this is happening and you'd be pretty much on the money except for one glaring omission, the ANC has been in power since 1994. Why have things only got worse and not better. Simple answer, it's nothing to do with race but a simple matter of government corruption.

Advertisement