Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beggar - is he for real?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

I was in town yesterday and happen to see, what seemed at first sight, a poor misfortunate man who had his legs, from the knee down, bent forward in front of him. He was shuffling up mainguard street and begging as he went. I am still not sure if he is for real or not as you don't like to stare in case he is actually so badly handicapped. Just wondered if anyone else has seen him. If the man is genuine, then god help the poor man, but if he is a fake and scamming people out of money then he needs to be arrested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah I just read about him in the strange characters of Galway thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I don't really see how it could be fake. Its a fairly visually shocking handicap alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

cornbb wrote: »
    I don't really see how it could be fake. Its a fairly visually shocking handicap alright.

It is visually shocking, but is that his intention?, so we don't question it. When I used to work in london I use to use Charring cross station and down the side of the station there used to be a man in a wheelchair with a tray selling matches. I used to feel sorry for him and often used to give him the odd bit of change that I had. That all stopped the day I saw another fella go up to him and say OK I'll take over and he got up, and the new faker sat down and carried on selling the matches. Just a point that you can never tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm pretty sure it'd be hard for this guy to be faking. You try bending your leg that way.

The only way he could be faking is if the leg from the knee down was fake. Even so he would be missing the bottom half of both legs, hardly any better a handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I have to say I was shocked when i saw him shuffling down town with his legs like that, he shuffles on his calves. But I spotted him up near the uni a few weeks back and he uses crutches so he can stand up and his lower legs are diagonal to the ground and he moves them to walk..hard to describe but he was fairly moving..poor chap thats quite a disability, cant see how you could fake that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Slumdog

yea it can't be fake.. i've seen him alot and it always looks the same and it's impossible to do that with your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This thread is useless without pics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

This thread beggars belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well it can't be fake, except in the sense that the 'legs' from the knee down aren't real, they're just fakes to emphasize his disability and play it up - at the end of the day the guy clearly has no legs from the knee down whatever way you look at it. Though I did always assume they weren't real legs, just an effort to play up the disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

seems to me like the same guy , ive seen both in kilkenny and waterford , he msut go to every city and town begging for money. Thinks he owns the place too, i saw em walk into mcdonalds and ahead of the queue like it was nothing, scares the sh1t outta kids when goes up and down the streets begging. he will be moved on by next week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So he put his fake legs on backwards?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    So he put his fake legs on backwards?
    Exactly like Kriss Kross have to do now that their music careers are over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Xiney wrote: »
    The only way he could be faking is if the leg from the knee down was fake. Even so he would be missing the bottom half of both legs, hardly any better a handicap.

I'm pretty sure this is what he does.

tbh if you want to make money as a beggar you have to be as visible as possible and sad to say this but a guy with his legs bent forward is much more visible than a guy with prosthetics or in a wheelchair

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

m83 wrote: »
    This thread beggars belief.

I beg to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I've seen him on Shop St, but he has a walking stick across his (weirdly bent) legs, so from that I guess he can walk with the aid of the stick, but figures he'll get more money doing it the shuffley way instead of hobbling with the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

kevmy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is what he does.

tbh if you want to make money as a beggar you have to be as visible as possible and sad to say this but a guy with his legs bent forward is much more visible than a guy with prosthetics or in a wheelchair

Then I don't understand how people have seen him "walking"

Prosthetic limbs can't be used backwards, afaik. (Granted, my knowledge of prosthetics is limited to "they're damn difficult to use")

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I seen him jogging out in Salthill. Was horrified.

jogging_man%20on%20beach.jpg

Seriously, this thread needs pics

Seriously :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

On that note has anyone seen the romanian looking guy standing about on shop street with 2 crutches shaking like mad with a cup in one hand lookin for cash?
    I havent seen him in a while but when i did see him it was a few times over a couple of days, he just walked away when he seen the guards coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Poor lil fella, he's bending over backwards just to eke a living.
    Zzippy wrote: »
    I beg to differ.

I beg your pardon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sounds like the fella me mother seen here in town(waterford). Sounds bad but me mother couldnt stop laughing.

I'm still pretty sure I saw him in Quake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Fracture wrote: »
    On that note has anyone seen the romanian looking guy standing about on shop street with 2 crutches shaking like mad with a cup in one hand lookin for cash?
    I havent seen him in a while but when i did see him it was a few times over a couple of days, he just walked away when he seen the guards coming.

Yeah he is still around. He is always on eglinton st. now, in between BT and the post office

Is it just his legs that face in the other direction or is it his entire bottom half. I mean does he need to take a piss with a mirror and a crap lying down.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Speaking of beggers, you guys come across the guy outside Ulster Bank asking "You any spare change"? You say no and he pulls a mobile out his pocket and starts using it. He's usually around in the evenings and has a cup of tea or coffee from Supermacs.

Speaking of beggers, you guys come across the guy outside Ulster Bank asking "You any spare change"? You say no and he pulls a mobile out his pocket and starts using it. He's usually around in the evenings and has a cup of tea or coffee from Supermacs.

I hate that guy!!

Whenever I get asked that question I just reply with "Yeah, loads" and keep walking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

He started asking me where I was living and I just said Renmore. He then claimed to be a Renmore man all his life. Wanker is not poor, probably just too lazy/mean to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Im confused, is he trying to insinuate that he is going to ring/text some lads to come around and knock the crap out of you for not giving him change? :confused:

Advertisement