Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any Info

Options
  • 14-01-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Is it possible that information about my car is not registered with cartell. Got a report saying that that there is no changes recorded in the roadworthiness of the vehicle. The insurance company I am dealing with said that the car was deemed beyond economical repair in 2001 and wont pay full value for car. Independent accessor cant find any previous damage to car.

The accident wasnt my fault and this has been ongoing for 2 months.
    Any advise would be most helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I would start by asking the insurance company you are dealing with, where they are getting their information and ask them for a copy of the report that shows the car was a write off..
    thats what I would start with.... and take it from there depending on what information I get back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

robtri wrote: »
    I would start by asking the insurance company you are dealing with, where they are getting their information and ask them for a copy of the report that shows the car was a write off..
    thats what I would start with.... and take it from there depending on what information I get back

A write off and a Beyond Economic Repair (BER), are two very different things. A car that an insurance company has written off, should never appear on the road again. A BER just means that they do not believe it is economical to repair the car so they don't go down the repair road with that vehicle and issue a cheque to you instead. What appears to be happening in your case is that the insurance company believe the car in question has been devalued because it was previously crashed. What has happened in your case was probably that an estimate was done up from a main dealer and on the basis of the prices given from them, the insurance company decided it was BER and issued you with a cheque. You then got the car repaired through an independent bodyshop where the cost was a lot less...

They are aware now that the car was crashed and is worth less on this basis...

Did you own the car back in 2001 when it was previously crashed???

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

The claim went in on the car when the car was only 3 weeks old and there was no registered owner. Would there not be visible repairs on the car that an accessor and mechanic could see. Or is it possible to do a repair job that good. And how come there is no record on cartell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

shaca wrote: »
    The claim went in on the car when the car was only 3 weeks old and there was no registered owner. Would there not be visible repairs on the car that an accessor and mechanic could see. Or is it possible to do a repair job that good. And how come there is no record on cartell?

It must have been registered to someone. If it didn't have a reg plate (and if it has a reg plate, it is obviously registered to someone), the insurance company could not have a record of a claim being made against the car, as this is how they keep a record of vehicles, by the reg plate ID.

If the repair job was to a high standard, then it might not necessarily be very obvious from a visual inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Have you any idea what damage was done to the car in the first place? Might be easier to check for old repair damage if you knew.

• Advertisement

The vehicle registration has only one registered owner before me. He was registered as the owner in July 01. The claim went through for the car in March 01. And as far as I know the Insurance company only have a claim number from the payout and no other information on the accident.

Celtxx wrote: »
    Have you any idea what damage was done to the car in the first place? Might be easier to check for old repair damage if you knew.

Have tried to get info on this but all the insurance company will tell me is that it had a claim paid out on it because it was in an accident. They will not tell me what damage was done. One fella said that for a brand new car to be deemed beyond economical repair there would to have been nearly 10 grand worth of damage to it. Surely a trained mechanic and an accessor would have spotted something between them.

Is there any other way to get information?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Is there any other way to get information?

freedom of information act, Tell them you are going to make a submission under the act for the information. See what they say, imo, they will have to give you the info about the claim...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

I have been involved in the motor trade for the best part of 30 years, much of it helping in bodyshops. I have yet to see a repair job where there was no trace of work having been done on the car. Maybe a lay person can't tell the difference, but if the car was written off then there should have been extensive repairs that a panel beater would see.

Exceptions might be if there was flood or interior fire damage to the car - could cause "write-off" status but not have actual body damage.

The accessor lifted carpets and everything to check for water damage. He even got another car of the same age and make to put beside it to see if they could come up with anything but couldnt. My mechanic is a qualified panel beater (and by reputation supposedly very good). He is stumped by it. He cant figure it out at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Hi Shaca,

sent you a PM on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

There is something very suspicious about your car tbh. If I were you I would get a competent mechanic to check the actual validity of the car such as the chassis number to see if it was replaced or tampered with.

If the car was written off in March 01 and only registered three months later, it doesnt seem right.

What happens is a car is written off by the insurance company who should then have the car scrapped but the car can fall into the hands of dodgy car dealer who fixes it up and re-sells it without prior history being given to the buyer.

The car wasn't written off - it was deemed to be beyond Economical Repair. The insurance company that paid out on the claim said that for a brand new car to be deemed beyond economical repair there would have to have been over 10 grand worth of damage to it. My mechanic did check all chasis numbers as did accessor and all seems to be in order. I have just been on to the Insurance federation of Ireland and they cant understand it either yet the Insurance company are digging their heels in without giving me any written proof and saying they will not pay any more because of previous accident. I have asked them to refer my case to someone else. They even refused to send out copy of their accessors report to my solicitor.

May have had a little bit of a break through with this today. Their only proof that the car was deemed beyond economical repair is a claim number. I said that considering the proof I have sent them proving (as far as I'm concerned) that my car had no previous damage I would like more info than just a claim number. The guy said that he would get onto Insurance company that paid the claim and try and find out more about it. Hopefully tomorrow will bring good news. It has been a
    long 8 weeks.

Anyone know who is responsible for paying storage cost for the car?

Advertisement