Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographing a Buzzard

• 14-01-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've spotted a buzzard on my travels not too far outside Clonmel. What I'm wondering is; are there any good ways of getting him within my lens' reach? I was thinking of placing some freshly killed rabbit or something on a fence-post or ditch in the area and waiting nearby in the car (I've no hide yet). Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It can be easy enough to get a good shot of a Buzzard. Some of our local birds have roosted on the TV aerial at the chimney of our bungalow. At other times they are in trees not 30yards away along the roadside when we are out for a walk.
    If it's a local bird you'll probably get good shots in time. You could try the bait but I don't think you'll need it - especially if you have a reasonably large lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Thanks Srameen - if I got within 30 feet I'd be delighted (300mm lens) as a bird the size of a buzzard would look well in the frame at that range! I'll spend some more time at the weekend on the lookout if the weather improves. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Buzzards local to me have regular hunting perches. Favourite haystacks, branches, pylons. Suggest keep scanning these in the locality and find out where he/she hangs out. If you get a few shots be sure to post them here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Buzzards local to me have regular hunting perches. Favourite haystacks, branches, pylons. Suggest keep scanning these in the locality and find out where he/she hangs out. If you get a few shots be sure to post them here :)

That's the best way in my opinion too. Get to know the habits... Think Like The Bird!! :)

Thanks for the help folks... I haven't been back out to his area yet - too busy! Hopefully the weekend will provide some time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Speaking of Buzzards, heres a recent one caught killing a very rare phalarope.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article5525947.ece

Getting closer!

I went out this morning for 20 minutes and managed to get a shot. It aint gonna win me any competitions but it's a first stab at photographing him. I can see a spring/summer of sitting and waiting! :)

3222507192_7fc4bc67dd_b.jpg

oh - and another again too far to keep much detail...

3221661893_74358a4a89_o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Beef, your enthusiasm is great and well done on your first pictures.
    I don't want to be a bore, but please don't leave food out for a wild bird like the buzzard. It is essential that these animals be left to their wild natural selves. They learn to hunt and anything that alters their natural behaviour would not be a good idea for their prosperity.
    Good luck with the (photographic) chase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Beef,

Great shots for your efforts so far btw, what would be excellent is the buzzard eating it's prey or in a glide. I don't see an issue with putting up a hide & putting a fresh rabbit down, I'm sure it won't affect its eating habits.

There is a fella on here called John Griffin, normally pops into the shooting forum, who is a wildlife photographer who might give you some excellent guidance/tips etc.

Post up some more images when you get them.

Cheers.

Advertisement