Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What scuba Reg to buy?

• 14-01-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    I'm just beginning to buy my own dive gear and was wondering what people recommend?

I have a mask so was looking to get a reg next.

Are there any models that people would recommend that are safe and can be used in warm and cold waters.

Thanks,
    Rich

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fergmc

If you are dead set on buying regs next then go for apexs, perfect for all conditions, have the xtx100s myself and cannot complain, yeah they are a bit pricey but why would you go cheap, i got mine for less than 400 euro first and second stage, octo is the 40s and mini console from a german company, 2 day delivery no worries. hope this helps

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

fergmc wrote: »
    If you are dead set on buying regs next then go for apexs, perfect for all conditions, have the xtx100s myself and cannot complain, yeah they are a bit pricey but why would you go cheap, i got mine for less than 400 euro first and second stage, octo is the 40s and mini console from a german company, 2 day delivery no worries. hope this helps

IMHO buy the gear you can best afford. APEKS regs are highly regarded but make sure to buy one that is 'balanced' whatever make you go for. The following article may help you with your choice.

http://www.simplyscuba.com/ShowPage.aspx?ShowPage=ChoosingRegulators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

what ever you do dont buy second hand regs.
    apexs would be considered the best by most .(a bit of an ego thing i think)
    ive aqualung legend myself.very good imo.
    but scubapro is also a good choice.
    mares stuff seems weak ,seen alot of it breaking (not regs) but just left a bad impression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

just echoing what everyone else is saying...

Everybody has a personal preference for certain manufacturers.

I wouldn't let anyone try bamboozle you with balanced first stages or venturi bolt systems or pistons vs Diaphram etc. All modern regs will be balanced.

I'd recommend Scubapro, they offer the best value for money.
    Any reg from scuba pro will work in either cold or warm water. I've used there lowest end reg in 5 degrees at 25 metres. Not a bother.

have to agree with Mint man though. Mares lower end regs do cause problems (annoying ones like leaking 2nd stages).

If you do buy consider buying a 2nd hand reg, ensure that the reg has a CE stamp on it. If not no one will consider servicing it for you!!

Mares Abyss User

Advertisement