Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Social Outings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yep. And half the fun is about wandering around some pub spooking people out of their socks, by looking at them inquisitively while trying to figure out if he/she is a boardie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Yep. And half the fun is about wandering around some pub spooking people out of their socks, by looking at them inquisitively while trying to figure out if he/she is a boardie :)

Well surely Boardsies that have arranged to meet could wear something that was pre-arranged. You know, the old red carnation and paper under an arm type of thing? How does it normally work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

deRanged wrote: »
    how about the Crawford Art Gallery for some art, followed by some lunch somewhere in the vicinity?
    Say Saturday 9th at about 11 or 11:30?

this would as well as the event Kingtut is organising.

I'd be up for that, don't think I am free Sat 9th though...

oh and as you point out this will be in addition to any other events being organised (nothing wrong with having a few things on the go as long as the dates do not collide - that being said I think bowling might be on Wed 20th).
    colblimp wrote: »
    Hi all. Would it be OK to jump in on this thread? I'm recently split up with my GF of just over 6 years and need to get out and about as I need to meet peeps and I'm getting bloody cabin fever. :)

The more the merrier! If you need a number for a meetup drop me a line :)
    mudokon wrote: »
    That is a good idea, would anyone else be interested in cinema nights say every 2 or 3 weeks? We could go for coffee afterwards for chat. Or if anyone has any other suggestions of what they would like to do then let us know.

We had cinema nights before I'd definitely be up for reviving them. Anyone else up for them?
    Surely the idea of these meets is to get to know new people? How are you going to do that sat in a cinema? How about trips to different places in and around Cork?

I think a cinema trip is a great idea when you want to get to know someone new, the way I look at it is you can use it as the topic of conversation before / after the movie - What movies do you like? What movies have you seen lately? What did you think of the movie we just saw etc... it gives people who are meeting for the first time and shy something to chat about! (Mind you I talk a lot :o and am not really shy at all - been to a load of meetups at this stage though!)
    Hi,
    I just joined boards.ie and am very interested in joining one of the social groups. It's a bit confusing as there seems to be a few of them running altogether on this site. Anyway, if this one is still active, would love to get some details on the next planned outing,if that's ok.
    Cheers.

I understand your confusion. To clear things up there are only 2 groups.

Group 1 - This is very inactive (by the looks of things and I can't even find the thread!). You must be screened by the organiser before you can join as their meetups are mostly organised by e-mail as far as I know..

Group 2 - Open to anyone at all, no screening process and this is the one that most people use! Any threads you see to do with meetups such as 'cork social outings' or 'january meet up' etc are all organised by us. We tend to discuss the meetups that people would like to have in this thread and then create a new thread for the event. (People will be more inclined to venture into a meetup specific thread rather than just a general one).
    If you have something in mind please tell us :)
    H3llR4iser wrote: »

:D
    Well surely Boardsies that have arranged to meet could wear something that was pre-arranged. You know, the old red carnation and paper under an arm type of thing? How does it normally work?

but that would take the fun out of guessing from a distance if the person is from boards or not :) on a serious note people usually exchange numbers with the organiser of the event beforehand.

I don't know if anyone is into the theatre - I passed the Everyman tonight and that play about Tom Crean the explorer is on from 11th - 16 January. Would anyone be interested in going to that? I've decided I'm definitely going so if anyone is interested, just give me a shout. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I've been to that the last time it was on - well worth going to see it
    I might go again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Hey everyone,

I just moved to Cork and don't know many people here so would love to go to one of your nights out. Possibly bowling, will have a better idea closer to the time. Theatre sounds great colblimp but I've seen that play. Maybe the next one?

Blueskye wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I just moved to Cork and don't know many people here so would love to go to one of your nights out. Possibly bowling, will have a better idea closer to the time. Theatre sounds great colblimp but I've seen that play. Maybe the next one?

Welcome to Cork! Bowling is on Wed 20th in the Leisureplex if you are interested. (Check out the January meet up thread) The more the merrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 30something2010

That is a good idea, would anyone else be interested in cinema nights say every 2 or 3 weeks? We could go for coffee afterwards for chat. Or if anyone has any other suggestions of what they would like to do then let us know.

Yeah i would be on for the cinema alright. Lots of good films coming in at the moment.

I don't know if anyone is into the theatre - I passed the Everyman tonight and that play about Tom Crean the explorer is on from 11th - 16 January. Would anyone be interested in going to that? I've decided I'm definitely going so if anyone is interested, just give me a shout. :D

Have already got tickets to see that one but would definitely be on for the theatre again another time...

Have already got tickets to see that one but would definitely be on for the theatre again another time...

What day are you going?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Yeah i would be on for the cinema alright. Lots of good films coming in at the moment.

That makes 3 potentially interested as kingtut said he might be up for it too.

I'll start a thread tomorrow night. Does anybody have preferences for Cinemas? The Gate may suit if we were going for a chat after.

I'll start a thread tomorrow night. Does anybody have preferences for Cinemas? The Gate may suit if we were going for a chat after.

It all depends what on, I wouldn't want to see anything crappy just for the sake of it, like Avatar, for instance!:p Fantasy/sci fi/kids films just don't do it for me...

A thread where people can talk about movies and organise cinema trips? Sounds like a great idea to me!

I reckon the Gate is the best option as it is central to pretty much everyone and is an easy place to give directions to compared to Mahon (especially when it comes to new people), maybe its something that is decided when movies are being nominated? Would be kind of nice to try different cinemas as well as movies...

For my events I usually pick the venue / event based on the crowd that is going and on what will keep the events 'fresh'...

It all depends what on, I wouldn't want to see anything crappy just for the sake of it, like Avatar, for instance!:p Fantasy/sci fi/kids films just don't do it for me...

I was going to suggest Alvin & the Chipmunks 2 but that looks like that wont happen now. :pac:

That's why I was going to leave the thread till tomorrow when the new listings are out. I may try & get technical as well & add a poll to the thread,

The Gate sounds perfect, that's the one at the end of North Main Street, right?

kingtut wrote: »
    A thread where people can talk about movies and organise cinema trips? Sounds like a great idea to me!

I was thinking more along the lines of just what is available to see & Dates/ Times but some chat might get a few more people interested so it couldnt hurt. Unless the mods decided to move it to the film forum if it was chatting about films.
    I reckon the Gate is the best option as it is central to pretty much everyone and is an easy place to give directions to compared to Mahon (especially when it comes to new people), maybe its something that is decided when movies are being nominated? Would be kind of nice to try different cinemas as well as movies...

For my events I usually pick the venue / event based on the crowd that is going and on what will keep the events 'fresh'...

Agree with all of those points but depending on what people wanted to see could determine where we go.
    The Gate sounds perfect, that's the one at the end of North Main Street, right?

Yep, that's the one.

I was thinking more along the lines of just what is available to see & Dates/ Times but some chat might get a few more people interested so it couldnt hurt. Unless the mods decided to move it to the film forum if it was chatting about films.

Well it will be your thread so whatever you think is best :)

A mod would not move it if you make it clear in the title / first post that it is for talking about movies and organising cork cinema trips...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Yeah, Interested in the movies thing as well...

I went ice skating earlier! Was brilliant! Anyone up for a boards trip? Cork on ice was meant to finish on the 17th but has been extended to the 30th! Costs €12 per person (regardless of what day/time you pick)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I went ice skating earlier! Was brilliant! Anyone up for a boards trip? Cork on ice was meant to finish on the 17th but has been extended to the 30th! Costs €12 per person (regardless of what day/time you pick)!

Last time i went ice skating was in germany and i fell holding onto the sides :pac:

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be keen on paying for ice skating - I can do it for free at the moment on the pavements lol! :D

Just wondering did you set up the cinema thread yet, if so, what is it called?
    Thanks

Just wondering did you set up the cinema thread yet, if so, what is it called?
    Thanks

I did, link is below. Thanks for the interest. :)

Click me

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Wallacebiy

It's the bomb alright ,

I took the kids last week , they had a blast ,

Wish it was permanent

deRanged wrote: »
    how about the Crawford Art Gallery for some art

Did this ever get organised? Just heard on the radio that 6 of the artists from the terror & the sublime exhibition will be holding a talk on the 3rd Feb in the Crawford gallery. Might be good to hear if you have been to see the exhibition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Eva_W

Hey everybody,

just came across this thread and thought I throw in a word - I'm organising an art group in Cork, nothing fancy, just meeting up and sketching and having some good chats and beverages. It's open to everybody who at least can hold a pencil straight :)

More info here: Drink & Draw Blog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Eva_W wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

just came across this thread and thought I throw in a word - I'm organising an art group in Cork, nothing fancy, just meeting up and sketching and having some good chats and beverages. It's open to everybody who at least can hold a pencil straight :)

More info here: Drink & Draw Blog

Great Idea, I'm not really into the art anymore, after 4 years of a science degree the right side of my brain has shrivled up into a little ball of dust and I can barely draw a stick man now. Trying to get my boyfriend to go along though he always ends up drawing when we're out having a few!
    There's a new art group being set up in the city by a girl I know called Niamh, its in de blue building across the river from the opera house so anyone into this sort of thing go investigate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭DWood

Hi all

Just thought I'd introduce myself, been in Cork 2 days now, will be working here a while so I'd like to get to meet some people hopefully make some mates. I'm up for most things, so hopefully I'll be meeting some of you over the coming days/weeks

TTFN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Anybody going to the Murphys Little Big Night out at Reardons? 6-8 on Friday, it's free and the food should be nice:)http://www.murphys.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 snoepys

anyone interested in going out during the week tues wed or thurs on the lash.

Advertisement