Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP over DNS. anyone tried it?

• 14-01-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

http://thomer.com/howtos/nstx.html

i`d try it but i don't own two servers. i was thinking it might be handy to use on some of the mobile phone networks as they don't charge for DNS through their own server. i tried sending a bunch of packets to my own server on port 53 but i got charged for it

tis a nice trick though if it would work on some of those paid wifi spots even
    what would the speeds be like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

A number of IPS can detect and block this (and everyone with the capability should be blocking it), DNS Tunneling has been around for quite a while and is generally classed as an access attack mechanism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Besides... wouldnt using DNS Tunneling to get 'free' internet access through your mobile phone network, or through a public wifi hotspot be classified as Theft of Service and likely illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Besides... wouldnt using DNS Tunneling to get 'free' internet access through your mobile phone network, or through a public wifi hotspot be classified as Theft of Service and likely illegal?

well its up to them if they want to provide a free DNS service to anyone on their network. but it's hard to know - I don't think anyone has got into trouble for this

i think it will be like getting blood from a stone anyway. but it might be useful for making something like AFT completely free

Advertisement