Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have O2 E170 broadband?

• 14-01-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if it is fast enough to watch matches online with, legally of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Can any one gave any feed back on the E170. Is it wort 79 and do you get the 2Mbps upload (or any thing higher than 384Kbps and i know it depends on area)

Also is there a slot on the device for a micro sd card?

any info about the E170 would be great

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Depends on signal, area, operator and number of users. Not really on Modem.

You could have 3Mbps down and 40Kup.
    You could maybe not connect at all.
    Unless the mast is running HSUPA you won't get more than about 300kbps up.

Download speed can be good enough to stream YouTube quality (not TV quality) but often isn't. You would use your cap up in maybe 4 days if you watched much video.

do u know of any places having HSUP. I have 3 on trail and iam connected on HSDPA in waterford city how can i check for HSUP?

If you get ever UPLOADS at Mbps speeds you are absolutely on HSUPA.
    If your upload is 50Kbps to 300kbps, either it's regular HSDPA or a very busy cell. On a fully loaded mast HSUPA, HSDPA and HSPA+ are all as slow or slower than dialup, about x3 basic GSM speed, possibly 1/6th of basic 3G or 1/5th basic EDGE speeds.

If I buy the E170 on line(not from O2) and then put my O2 sim into it. would it work and would I get the 2Mbps up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

O2 don't seem to sell a broadband SIM without the modem. You will only get 2Mbps upload if the mast you are connecting to is HSUPA enabled. Even then, you will only get 2Mbps if you are the only person connected in that sector.

And are close enough to see the bolts. Speed drops dramatically with distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Any idea how many masts have HSUPA on them, watty? Is it lots, or only a hand full?

Advertisement