Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gotta stick to it !

Options
  • 14-01-2009 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,

Have decided to try keep a log so that I have somewhere to vent my frustration/ask for advice and just basically keep motivated.

Started running last May after years of no sport of any kind, not really overweight but might be a small bit, and am definitley "soft", have a bit of a belly !
    When I started running I had to stop as I was doing way too much at first and was ending up with sore hips, knees and bones in general. After taking Glucosamine for a while by late June I started again and was able to keep it up.
    I went about 3/4 times a week in the Phoenix Park. I did the Adidas 10mile, (probably wasn't ready for it) in 1hr 40mins and then did the Adidas half marathon in 2hrs exactly. After the half marathon i was quite sore and took a week or 2 off after. Then November was a very busy month work wise, I did a few runs but found it hard to get into it, especially in the dark evenings. Also running on the roads leaves my lower legs very sore. So over December I started back a bit but was definitley eating badly due to odd work hrs, xmas coming up and general laziness.

St Stephens day I started back properly. Been running 3 times a week and now im back at work im eating properly again, no more junk. I've found it hard to get back into it but sticking at it till it gets bright again in the evenings and i'll be back in the park. My aim is to do any run I can but especially the Adidas ones nad hopefully the marathon.

The 1 problem I still have though is my lower legs being sore, I dont get this when running on softer ground it the park though - any advice ?

Anyway - Monday - 4miles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Hi,

Have decided to try keep a log so that I have somewhere to vent my frustration/ask for advice and just basically keep motivated.

Started running last May after years of no sport of any kind, not really overweight but might be a small bit, and am definitley "soft", have a bit of a belly !
    When I started running I had to stop as I was doing way too much at first and was ending up with sore hips, knees and bones in general. After taking Glucosamine for a while by late June I started again and was able to keep it up.
    I went about 3/4 times a week in the Phoenix Park. I did the Adidas 10mile, (probably wasn't ready for it) in 1hr 40mins and then did the Adidas half marathon in 2hrs exactly. After the half marathon i was quite sore and took a week or 2 off after. Then November was a very busy month work wise, I did a few runs but found it hard to get into it, especially in the dark evenings. Also running on the roads leaves my lower legs very sore. So over December I started back a bit but was definitley eating badly due to odd work hrs, xmas coming up and general laziness.

St Stephens day I started back properly. Been running 3 times a week and now im back at work im eating properly again, no more junk. I've found it hard to get back into it but sticking at it till it gets bright again in the evenings and i'll be back in the park. My aim is to do any run I can but especially the Adidas ones nad hopefully the marathon.

The 1 problem I still have though is my lower legs being sore, I dont get this when running on softer ground it the park though - any advice ?

Anyway - Monday - 4miles
    Best of luck, maybe make sure your in the correct footwear and get the GAIT analysis done to be sure.

Also if you can get your training upto a level where your getting out 5 days a week you will see so much more progress.

Best of luck for '09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Patient-Doc, it hurts when I do this.
    Doc-Then don't do that!

Seriously though, running on grass is much better for your legs/muscles/joints as it is much softer than concrete. If you can, try to run as much as possible on grass or trail. Also, you don't mention running shoes, some shoes will provide more cushioning than others. When you're starting off, its a good idea to get gait analysis done (Runways in Parnell St Dublin, Amphibian King in Bray).

Fair play to you for starting running, and good luck with the log!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

good luck. Great improvement last year from your ten mile to half marathon times. You'll be motoring soon again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Coool,

Thanks.

Yeah i do have a good pair of Asics, I just haven't had gait analysis. My only issue is that i'm pretty broke for the ext few months since i'm a filmmaker, so I dunno if I can go to Runways do the analysis and splash out a couple hundred quid. Whats the average cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I think Amphibian King does it for free. Not sure though, never been down there because Bray is quite the trek for me from Firhouse!

Good luck with the training - sounds like you're at about the same stage as me at the moment, with the 4-mile runs. :)

• Advertisement

Wednesday 14th - 3.5 miles, felt good, wasn't too hard but felt my legs a bit sore afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Good luck Mr Marenghi. Welcome to our little mad 'club'. Getting started is often the most difficult step. Keep it going.

Saturday afternoon - 3.5 miles in the Phoenix Pk during the storm !

Lower right leg is sore since, so gonna take it easy till tomorrow or Wednesday I think.

Had a bad week, worked Sunday and had stuff on every evening until yesterday so just got doing the 3miles yesterday. Have time off over the weekend so long run tomorrow and maybe a short one Sunday.
    Should be back to normal next week I hope !

Was down the country for the weekend. There's a football pitch nearby with a running track around it. So went there Saturday afternoon, felt really good and really enjoyed the run. Did 15 laps and then went home. When I went home I measured the distance and it was about 3.5 to 4 miles - I thought it was way longer and would have kept running, only reason I stopped was becasue I didn't wanna overdo it - anyway, i'll know next time.

Yesterday evening did 3.5miles on the streets here in Dublin - man I hate running on the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I love running on the streets, I find time goes alot quicker. I just make sure I don't run at around 4 when the kids get out of school as I get a bit of slagging when there in groups especially when I'm in my tights.
    Best of luck with the training and log.

Woddle wrote: »
    I love running on the streets, I find time goes alot quicker. I just make sure I don't run at around 4 when the kids get out of school as I get a bit of slagging when there in groups especially when I'm in my tights.
    Best of luck with the training and log.

Thanks man.

Actually last night I was running on North Circular Road, just where it meets Hanlons corner, and kids on the other side of the street threw a sorta aluminium bar at me, missed my legs by inches, I chased them but they were long gone by the time I crossed the road.

With streets I just find my legs sore afterwards, way more fond of the Phoenix Park.

3.5 miles again last night, felt good but was pretty tired heading out. A lot more free time from next week so should get easier !

Advertisement