Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DBZ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

so what are the chances of a new series

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Lower than you can imagine.

Akira Toriyama doesn't write it anymore, animation studios tend to prefer working on new original works, or adaptions of manga that are currently popular, rather than genre classics.

Of course, there's nothing to rule out another OAV, but there's also nothing to suggest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,504 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so what are the chances of a new series
    very much under 9000.

Awwh dang. Well no point in complaining, it had a pretty good run.http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=4984055133&PhotoAlbumId=6866485088&PhotoId=6866499546

Hey look what i did. Feel free to put up your own if you have any

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I had a few very good ones I did when I was younger, gone now. :/
    Family didn't believe I just didn't printt them out. Did goku, trunks and piccolo. Only drew piccolos face concentrating and shouting, the whole body of the rest in super form, in lots of detail, was so proud. :p

• Advertisement

Hey what do you guys think of the games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

Hey what do you guys think of the games
    Um, considering that there have been hundreds dating back to the NES, you may want be more specific.

Sorry i thought it was obvious i meant the recent ones like burst limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Go play some Street Fighter IV -- that's an education for ya.

... or Naruto, I enjoyed those fighters more than the DBZ stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Dragonball must be on the of worst shows ever concieved.

The filler is worse then Narutos, the characters are generic and dull, fight scenes are ridicolous(you cant even see whats happening half the time ffs) and when you can nothing is happening(they just stand around, make consipated noises and "power up")

Watch better animes.

Fin.

• Advertisement

Wow, thats a pretty agressive comment to bring to a simple chat about a show alot of people like. If you dont like DBZ then thats fine, but your not going to change my opinion. Dont comment on something just because you dont agree with it. i got into trouble here with that by taken the piss out of emo's

• Registered Users Posts: 82,504 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Dragonball must be on the of worst shows ever concieved.

The filler is worse then Narutos, the characters are generic and dull, fight scenes are ridicolous(you cant even see whats happening half the time ffs) and when you can nothing is happening(they just stand around, make consipated noises and "power up")

Watch better animes.

Fin.
    Well im sorry that not every anime can be as fcuking awesome as Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann. Now away with you before I fetch a death note.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's his opinion, let him comment!

And how about the DBZ fans bringing some real arguments to the discussion -- enrichen your opinion by highlighting that, for instance, DBZ had some insane power-ups, managed to keep its cast memorable (cough*BleachExtras*cough), or... well, anything, really.

For the record, I like DBZ for its characters, the set designs (it truly is an alien Earth), and the ideas behind how they fight (flying and laser beans, OH YES).

But I abhor the plodding pacing, and the animation can be a let-down (due to aforementioned pacing). That's why it'll never rise above "guilty pleasure" IMO.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    (flying and laser beans, OH YES).

HAHA what are laser beans

HAHA what are laser beans
    That's all you picked up from his post?

haha....im sorry thats just hillarious

I am suprised this is the only active DBZ thread here though. Thought it was more popular with manga fans

I am suprised this is the only active DBZ thread here though. Thought it was more popular with manga fans

You have to understand. It may be a classic, but it was just one shounen manga. It may be widely recognised, but it ended *years* ago.

Dragonball ended in 1995, the second anime adaption, Dragonball Z, ended in 1996.

Shounen Jump has many ongoing manga that are up to the same standard and popularity. One Piece, the most popular manga for the past few years is as good and better than Dragonball ever was, is currently longer than Dragonball's complete run, and shows no sign of stopping.

Every year, there are several new animes produced. A lot of them are as good as Dragonball Z, a few are better.

People can't discuss the classics forever.

I think its important for nostalgia sake to talk about the classics. I think it says something about how special it was that it was widley known to people who never watched manga (excluding pokemon and such) and probly has broken the mould more then most other manga at least in terms of mass production and merchandise.

I think its important for nostalgia sake to talk about the classics. I think it says something about how special it was that it was widley known to people who never watched manga (excluding pokemon and such) and probly has broken the mould more then most other manga at least in terms of mass production and merchandise.

I think you need to be shown some nice, quality anime.

It's good to like things, but its getting to the stage where you might as well be saying that 300 was the greatest movie of all time, and theres no point watching, making or discussing any other movie because 300 has already surpassed them on every front.

You should watch Gurren Lagann. See what its like to go beyond the impossible.

• Advertisement

Ok now your saying im close minded but the thing is im not the biggest fan of manga. I just like DBZ and thought it deserved its own thread because its so popular.

Ok now your saying im close minded but the thing is im not the biggest fan of manga. I just like DBZ and thought it deserved its own thread because its so popular.
    I don't think its as popular as you think it is.

In its time it was *the* shounen manga to read. And inspired the mangaka of works like Naruto, Bleach and particularly One Piece, which has quite a lot in common with Dragonball.

But I'd say that on any given anime forum there has been more dicsussions on Code Geass during the summer of 2008 than there has been of Dragonball Z in the past five years.

By the same measure, a lot of people will tell you that Akira and Ghost in the Shell are must see anime, and a most of the people around here will have seen them, but they don't get discussed.

I wasn't trying to douse your flames or anything, I was just trying to let you know that there are other anime that you probably would enjoy, seeing as you loved Dragonball so much.

But hey, if you want Dragonball discussion, I'll bite.

When the Dragonball manga started, it was a parody of Journey to the West, right? It was all slapstick comedy as Goku and Bulma travelling about looking for Dragonballs. But one volume in, it all stopped. Goku went off to train with Master Roshi, and it turned into a regular Shounen Jump battle manga.

Why did Toriyama do this? It wasn't like it was for popularity. If people weren't reading Dragonball then he wouldn't have got that far in the first place. Was it his editors who made him change the style or did he get bored with the same old comedy adventures he used to draw?

That is an interesting point as you can still see that as you said slap stick comedy even in the late stages of Z despite the more serious notes. I suppose its what kept younger kids interested for a wider audience, which could be another reason for the change from comedy to violence. To appeal to a more mainstream audience

sooo...real life movie out now hmm. looks pretty ****

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I watched 5 seconds and turned it off. I'll force myself to watch it sooner or later. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

I have a pact with a friend of mine to go and see this bloody thing, despite the fact we're both die-hard dragonball fans and we hate how Hollywood ruins EVERY SINGLE comic book/manga adaptation. He says we're going to see it so we can laugh at it, I argued that we'll be crying at how bad it is before we're 15 minutes in...

Any thoughts?

I think it will be bad. Though I don't think it is going to be torches and pitchforks bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

anyone here mention Dragon Ball GT?i saw the series few years back,awesome as the originals :D

i am not really a die hard fan of dragonball,but i treat it like the case of superman,with my all respect on them being the master of classic status

right well i can see im not alone when i said the movie looks **** and i dont care if its blanked because **** is the only way to describe how it looks. i too have a packed to go see it with a friend. the only thing stopping me throwing a fit is that its only a dragonball movie and not dragonball z movie so im thinking there will be sequils and the fag who playes goku will get more buff and such. kinda like what happened in the matrix with neo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

right well i can see im not alone when i said the movie looks ****
    I have yet to see someone who likes it.

I just hope this doesn't result in copies of the manga with pictures from the movie on the cover *shudders*

Advertisement