Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern R&B: my theory and why i disagree with it

Options
  • 14-01-2009 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

When i talk about R&B to people i can come accross as arrogant but its only because it annoys me so much. See my theory began to form when i was with my cousin, a 15 year old girl, who loves hip-hop and R&B. She was flicking through the music channels stoping when ever she saw a song she liked and i notices that all the songs were based around a solid beat that never changes and a catchy chorus. i couldnt understand how she got so excited over a song even though it sounded exactly like all the others until one they were sitting there again and i'm flicking through the channels when she stops me because she said she loved the song i passed by. i went back to the channel and she said she had never heard this song before but though she would love it based on the video. This made me realise that R&B is not so much a genre but more a fassion or something for people to conform to. If you think about it, like fassion, a new song is outrageously popular for a while and then discarded but with other genre's like rock, jazz, soul, classical ,or even R&B (as in RYTHEM AND BLUES) not this pop-cultural crap, all produce songs that last for years because they are well writen pieces of music. They are not juged by how good looking the creators had, i mean have u ever acualy seenbob dylan. he has the facial features of a shoval but still got more action than God and managed to produce a record breaking number of hits.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

I really can't see God getting it on, nevermind Bob Dylan : )

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

NICE

What's nice?

just your responce in general

Thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Exactly how I feel OP. Can't stand that music...and computer generated drum beats. Ugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

First of all, I dont understand why this annoys you :confused: Music is different things to different people, and long may that be the case. While I dont like modern R&B personally, if others did not like it it would not exist. To each his/her own. :) Lots of music types become a fashion to conform to. For example punk had a big and loyal following for a while. Conforming meant wearing different kind of clothes, rebelling against the establishment ect. Singling out modern R&B is a bit unfair IMO. Heavy Metal followers conform by generally wearing black.

From a fashion point of view, down the years, artists from all types of music have relied on general appearance ( good looks being the prime asset ) to sell themselves. Elvis is a prime example of this. His good looks and general appearance played no small part in his career.

Same goes for the "Beatles". They used long hair cut in a bowl shape to make them stand out from other bands (except maybe the "Stones") at the time. Good looks also helped to sell them in the beginning. I'm not saying their music did n't stand out on it's own, merely their appearance was very important. In Bob Dylan, you picked one of the few exceptions.

Even jazz musicians rely on appearance. Some use their trade mark shades, beard, hat ect.

This is all part of how the music industry works, and how it has lasted as long as it has.

As much as I hate to say it, that was a good post.

However, bowl-cut hair, shades, beards etc... are not as degrading as some R'n'B/hip hop videos. They don't have women with the skimpiest of clothes, dancing erotically while the male gyrates against her.

As you say, each to their own.

i dunno i guess it just annoys me as a person who is always looking for great music between the classics and the new that people use these genres to fit in and not for its quality. as u made i reference to punk and people conforming to it just like in this case, like i said before, punk still managed to produced long lasting successful songs that was listened to for its music. i cant ask u to name a long time hit form modern R&B to proove me wrong because it is exactly that, modern but can you honestly say it will produce a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I've been of the opinion for a while that modern "R&B" has simply become Pop music, sung by black people.

I don't mean that in a racist way, but how many black "pop" acts are there nowadays? The same music, if sung by white people, would be pop.

• Advertisement

i dunno i guess it just annoys me as a person who is always looking for great music between the classics and the new that people use these genres to fit in and not for its quality. as u made i reference to punk and people conforming to it just like in this case, like i said before, punk still managed to produced long lasting successful songs that was listened to for its music. i cant ask u to name a long time hit form modern R&B to proove me wrong because it is exactly that, modern but can you honestly say it will produce a classic

What's to stop you seeking out new music elsewhere, and forget about the general radio and tv stuff altogether. :confused: Have you got a music collection ? If so you can enjoy, seek out and add to the music you enjoy, and leave modern R&B to those who like it.

Problem solved. ;)

mars bar wrote: »
    They don't have women with the skimpiest of clothes, d

Remember "Pan's People" on "Top of the Pops" in the 70's ? That was regarded as daring at the time, though I admit, not as hot as some of the videos you talk about.

Anyway most TV's and radios have a channel changer and "off" button. ;)

k your missing the point, i no i dont have to listen to it and i cud just say to each their own but im saying that the people who do listen to it call themselvs huge fans of music and music is their life even though they only listen to one type, and on top of that, because of the popularity created by this huge phase, radio, and tv are completely spammed with this shallow music

k your missing the point, i no i dont have to listen to it and i cud just say to each their own but im saying that the people who do listen to it call themselvs huge fans of music and music is their life even though they only listen to one type, and on top of that, because of the popularity created by this huge phase, radio, and tv are completely spammed with this shallow music

So........ :confused: Why are you so concerned about this. I still cant understand why it's getting to you.

well u see i think its getting to me because like i said radio and tv is spammed by it so if i want to do either of them im stuck, plus in my college they nothin but chart hits and it just goes through me, the same songs played over and over because their popular.

ok think about it this way, when mtv was first set up it was dedicated to rock until micheal jackson came, now i think, regardles of accusations he's a musical genious which is why he got on mtv in the first place but he did open mtv to pop culture and now it has completely taken over, plus its forcing the younger generation to listen to it.

Nobody is forced to listen to anything. They listen to it by ( ill informed possibly ) choice. I know I'm repeating myself, but why cant you listen to the music you like on an ipod, portable cd player ect during your spare time in college :confused: IMO you are wasting your time and energy with this where you could be enjoying your own music through another idiom. The music industry has been like this for decades, and probably will never change. So, I'd say it's a case of "like it or leave it". :)

maybe your rite i mean who am i to say its not real music but im using this site to express my opinion on this topic just like you are in no possition to tell me im definatly wrong but you are free to exprees you opinion. i guess iv found great music over the years and id like to share it with other people rather then have them stuck on R&B because like it or not, the FACT is that its a completely superficial genre

maybe your rite i mean who am i to say its not real music but im using this site to express my opinion on this topic just like you are in no possition to tell me im definatly wrong but you are free to exprees you opinion. i guess iv found great music over the years and id like to share it with other people rather then have them stuck on R&B because like it or not, the FACT is that its a completely superficial genre

At no point did I say you were wrong. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. I thought we were merely exchanging different views on the topic, which is what forums are all about. All I was doing was questioning why you held these views. You seem to think that I'm defending R&B. Read back on my posts and you'll see I'm not. I'm defending people's right to listen to what they like, be it superficial or otherwise. As I said, it's a case of "like it or leave it". The problem seems to be that you are unable or unwilling to do either.

well historicly people usualy find it very hard to leave anything down that they dont like, if they didny there would be no such thing as racism or discrimination. i will take back though for part of the last statment,your rite we were just exchanging views. so your question is why does it bother me so much. well short of just repeating my self, i dont have an answer. basicly i dont like the fact that there is so much attention being paid to this genre while the rest are getting ignored. i think they shud play a bigger role in more peoples life and so since i have discovered the music i like , i put up this blog to see if people agree or disagree.

If you want to go on a musical crusade to bring people's attention to "better" music, then the best of luck to you. In the end though, they'll listen to what they like, which has been my point from the start. You say you've found your music..... that's great ! I'm sure people are capable of finding their's too, without your well intentioned help.

• Advertisement

listen man the point of this blog wasnt for u to get agressive. nobody said im on a music crusade like im trying to change the way people listen to music. the point was to put up my opinion and to see what people thought, to see if it was an iteresting veiw and i dont no why ur so fixed on why i have a probleme with this music, everyone has a problem with something and most people like to express it and if u have a problem with that then maybe u shud but up your own blog. but it might be a bit ironic complainiong about people complaining

I can see you are on the defensive now, so I'll cease in my "aggressiveness" :D

Best of luck in you quest. ;)

lmao. that was good. passive aggressive is hard to pull off

the point was to put up my opinion and to see what people thought,

So now you know that some people actually disagree with you. :eek: :D

im not as oppinionated as u think which is why i think u keep pushing it. i can handle being wrong, i can handle when people disagree with me. that was the whole point of putten this up, to here different oppinions not to have an argument with u over why i have a problem with something. your bein a pretty hypochrit. u cant stop complaining about me complaining.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Remember "Pan's People" on "Top of the Pops" in the 70's ? That was regarded as daring at the time, though I admit, not as hot as some of the videos you talk about.

Anyway most TV's and radios have a channel changer and "off" button. ;)

I have taken that move, I don't watch the music channels at all any more. It's got nothing but crap on it...

mars bar wrote: »
    I have taken that move, I don't watch the music channels at all any more. It's got nothing but crap on it...

Agreed ! I hardly ever listen to music on the radio ( maybe to some jazz on "Lyric", but I think even that is gone now :mad: ) or TV. I did enjoy the New Years Eve show on ( I think BBC2 ) with Jools Holland. There was an enjoyable cross section there.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Agreed ! I hardly ever listen to music on the radio ( maybe to some jazz on "Lyric", but I think even that is gone now :mad: ) or TV. I did enjoy the New Years Eve show on ( I think BBC2 ) with Jools Holland. There was an enjoyable cross section there.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the radio either, the worst has to be Spin South West, sheesh. They play the almost same playlist every friday morning.
    I heard the Jools Holland Show was good but I didn't see it as I was at The Saw Doctors...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Op i semi agree with ya on this one, i had previously noticed something about rap videos that annoyed me too! i noticed that the majority of videos contained:

A: A bouncing car

B: Scantily clad ladies (this ones ok!)

C: some sort of neon lights!

Honestly check it out.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

First of all, not to lower the tone or anything, but Bob Dylan? Back around the time he first went electric I totally would have hit that :P and he exploited his "look" as much as anybody.

Secondly, most RnB is depressingly generic, true, but I think there is some innovation. I mean, I quite like Beyoncé's current single-well apart from the ultra-feminist lyrics-there's mildly interesting stuff going on behind all her caterwauling. And RnB from about five years ago sounds very different to RnB today imo, I think there is definitely progress being made by certain artists and producers. Most of the progress is towards a different-sounding type of shite, sure, but it's still progress and innovation. And every musical genre has its recurrent themes-in the case of RnB generally "I'm in a club and I'm totally gonna DO IT!", in the case of heavy metal some bollocks about flames or death or...metal, in the case of pop heartbreak and sassiness, in the case of emo blood and black and tears and hearts etc etc

Advertisement