Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vat on goods imported from usa

Options
  • 14-01-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I received a package from the states yesterday and had to give the postman a cheque for a vat customs charge. The goods are being returned today so on the advice of an post I have cancelled the cheque.
    Does anyone know if I need to contact customs as An Post don't have a clue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Who did you contact in An post. Did they require documentation verifying you did send it back?

I think the charges are VAT duty, and a handling/service charge, not sure if you would get that back.

Seems this could be a sneaky loophole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 algie

rubadub wrote: »
    Who did you contact in An post. Did they require documentation verifying you did send it back?

I think the charges are VAT duty, and a handling/service charge, not sure if you would get that back.

Seems this could be a sneaky loophole.

I just spoke to some woman in head office Dublin yesterday, she told me that it was a customs issue and that the cheque should not have been made out to an post, and that i should cancel it immediately. I asked her should I contact customs, she put me on hold for about 10 mins then came back with the information that i should just cancel the cheque as it was nothing to do with an Post. As a matter of courtesy I tried to contact the sorting office in Portlaoise where the parcel had come from, but the phone rang out every time, so i have given up on that. Maybe I should hold onto all documentation and see what happens - what do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Who did you make the cheque out to?

You really should contact Customs, to see what they say. The money was collected on their behalf, and they'll be a bit miffed if you just cancel the cheque on them, without explanation.

jor el wrote: »
    Who did you make the cheque out to?

You really should contact Customs, to see what they say. The money was collected on their behalf, and they'll be a bit miffed if you just cancel the cheque on them, without explanation.

cheque was made out to an post. I will try to contact customs tomorrow and see what they say - ta to both for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

am i the only one who finds it wrong that a "postman" was given a cheque here ???????????????? :eek:
    blessed you didnt hand him a 50, where would he have gotten change

Usually customs wont release items till they get payment, so maybe it was a dhl man or some such ???????
    eitehr way +1 for cancelling cheque -1 for writing it in the 1st place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

An Post act as agents for the Revenu Commissioner, so they (like DHL, etc.) accept payment for VAT, import duty and a (usually handsome) handling fee.

An Post wll often send out lower valued items with the postman and accept CoD. Cheque (not sure on CC/DC), but no cash. Cheques in that case should be made payable to An Post, and NOT the Revenue Commissioner. The same as if you collected the parcel, and paid for it, at a sorting office. Despite what you were told on the phone.

As for refund, speak to the Revenue Commissioner. They'll like request you fill out a form and attach proof of return postage. As far as I know you're still liable on the original inbound shipping, but if that is low enough (on its own), duty may be refunded on that as well. You are not liable for outgoing/return postage, so that's not in the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

cgarvey wrote: »
    An Post wll often send out lower valued items with the postman and accept CoD. Cheque (not sure on CC/DC), but no cash. Cheques in that case should be made payable to An Post, and NOT the Revenue Commissioner. The same as if you collected the parcel, and paid for it, at a sorting office. Despite what you were told on the phone.

The postman will take cash or cheque. They don't carry change though, so you have to give him/her the exact amount due.

thanks to all for the help. I shall speak to the dreaded revenue today and let u know what happens

Advertisement