Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UnderGrad Summer Lab Experience

• 14-01-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where to apply?
    I know the SFI have the UREKA programme but i have being monitering the site for well over a month now and there has been no updates or information on a 2009 programme, so does anyone know if it actually happening? and could anyone recommend other places to apply.
    I really want to get some outside of college la expereince before my final year.

Hope ye can help

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Try calling SFI and asking if they they are doing their program this year. The HRB used to have a summer program too but it may have been discontinued...

Also, contact the labs you'd like to work in and ask them if they know of available funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Last year the application deadline for the SFI UREKA program was around March/April so details will probably be posted up over the coming weeks. One thing to do is monitor the websites of the participating UREKA sites (eg DIT, TCD and NUIG are UREKA sites)

IAESTE organise an exchange program for students wishing to gain technical work experience, but the deadline has passed for this year I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where to apply?
    I know the SFI have the UREKA programme but i have being monitering the site for well over a month now and there has been no updates or information on a 2009 programme, so does anyone know if it actually happening? and could anyone recommend other places to apply.
    I really want to get some outside of college la expereince before my final year.

Hope ye can help

Thanks

The UREKA programme was up for renewal again at the end of last year (at least where i work) so that would probably be why there is not much on the SFI website. You need to keep an eye on the websites of the Uni's because the application is to the programme in the university and not SFI. Not sure if the HRB are still ongoing but some of the colleges also have their own summer fellowships. Send me a pm if you want some contacts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

If your interested in a particular lab/uni/group you could always approach them directly.

Depending on the type of person that's over it/funding available they might be able to do something for you for 10 or so weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

I know the UREKA program is going ahead, or is planned to at least, as I have already submitted a project abstract. This was about four weeks ago.
    I haven't heard of it being stalled if that's what you're worried about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement