Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any steak lovers in the house?

• 14-01-2009 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

I am wondering if anyone knows the best places to buy steak in in dublin

im looking for rib-eye, sirlon,striploin,tendenerloin or fillet steak

all sorts basically

i usually buy it in tescos and i thought it was ok but a chef recently told me all their stuff is garbage so i thought id try a few other places

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

madmik wrote: »

all sorts basically

i usually buy it in tescos and i thought it was ok but a chef recently told me all their stuff is garbage so i thought id try a few other places

Try a butcher. Meat from supermarkets is usually muck, pumped full of water. Ask your butcher where the meat comes from and how long it has been hung or matured before you get it - any decent butcher should know. Good meat shouldn't really be fresh, pink and bloody. It should be dark red or brown and not bloody. But, gone off meat looks similar so try a good butcher!!!

Contact the craft butchers association - http://www.craftbutchers.ie

The more people who demand good quality meat from properly run farms, the less the supermarkets will be able to foist **** food from bad farmson us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

superquinn steak is usually 1st class, a lot of butchers shops supply hotel resturants etc so the pickings are usually slim, in my area anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Where do you live? I have relations out in Leixlip and anytime I'm out that way I stop into a great butcher who orders in big slabs of rib-eye (nicest steak imo) and I cut them into steaks myself. There's also Courtneys meat wholesalers who do some nice steaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

all sorts basically

How much would you spend in a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

How much would you spend in a week?

it really depends on the type of steak but heres tescos price list:

Irish Angus Round Steak€12.99/KGkgsbtnminus.gifbtnplus.gif
    btnAddNote.gifspacer.gifIrish Angus Minute Steak€15.99/KGkgsbtnminus.gifbtnplus.gif
    btnAddNote.gifspacer.gifIrish Angus Sirloin Steak€22.79/KGkgsbtnminus.gifbtnplus.gif
    btnAddNote.gifspacer.gifIrish Angus Fillet Steak€39.49/KGkgs
    btnAddNote.gifspacer.gifIrish Angus Boneless Rib Steak€10.99/KG

• Advertisement

sometimes tesco have specials from time to time theres 33% off a certain type of steak and usually il get that whatever it is

the fillet steak is lovely (u barely have to even chew it) but its not cheap at 40euro a kilo so its best getting it when its on sale

it is hard to get steak at a decent price ,its one of those things that holds its value well no matter about recessions etc

just have to keep searching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

fallon & byrne sell good steaks...

now that u mention it i ate a great sirlon steak in fallon and byrne restaurant about a month ago
    i must have a look at their meat counter next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

it's a resession, I decided I'd cook it myslef:)

is the restraunt nice?, don't mind paying for a good steak..had one in luigi malones a few weeks ago and it was lovley, like the virgin mary cooked it hereself...

it's a resession, I decided I'd cook it myslef:)

is the restraunt nice?, don't mind paying for a good steak..had one in luigi malones a few weeks ago and it was lovley, like the virgin mary cooked it hereself...

I prefer to cook my own steaks as well but it was the womans birthday a few weeks ago so we went over to try the place

i got the mature sirloin cooked medium and it was delicious for 27euro

really well cooked+presented,comes with spuds or chips +rocket for salad,few slices of crusty bread and and a weird bernaise sauce (which i didnt really like although it comes in a separate dish so u can choose whether to use it for not)

its not the kind of restaurant id usially go to but the food was great,the waiters are a bit annoying,they pull out ur chair for u as if u cant get to grips with that task yourself and they came over to check if the food was cooked to our satisfaction which is a bit annoying since if it wasnt id let them know about anyway

the drinks are pricey enough,they have shots of cognac on the menu right up to 45euro a shot and a heap of expensive wines but i dont particulrly like wine
    so didnt bother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

old boy wrote: »
    superquinn steak is usually 1st class, a lot of butchers shops supply hotel resturants etc so the pickings are usually slim, in my area anyway.

Have to agree with you there. Superquinn steaks are always fantastic and they regularly do 25-50% off them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭friday1

Butchers in Lucan across from ulster bank have nice steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

The worst fillet steak I ever had was from a "proper" butchers - too fresh and bloody. I think Tescos is usually as good as you would get anywhere - especially the "finest" stuff - it's Aberdeen Angus.
    Why don't you ask the chef who said Tesco was rubbish where he/she gets his/hers from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Brady's Butcher
    1a Belvedere Place
    Dublin 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Have to agree with you there. Superquinn steaks are always fantastic and they regularly do 25-50% off them too.

Especially the dry-aged striploin and fillet. €15 for two striploins and they are delicious.
    Had same sort from Lidl last night and they were nearly as good (but not quite)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

how come it so expensive, the arse has fallen out of the beef market the muckers are getting little or nothing for finished cattle,
    i was in n.y.for christmas an angus sirloin with the trimmings 15 to 17 u.s. and they give big servings, we get kids portions compared to what they serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

all sorts basically

McLoughlins butchers in The Mill Centre in Clondalkin (also in Ballyfermot) are pretty decent for all sorts of meat. Already mentioned here is the butcher in Lucan Village (Collins) have found them a bit dear for meat in the past.

There's a damn good butcher near the Ulsterbank in Celbridge , dont know the name - got good stuff their lately.

In Blanchardstown Shopping Centre you have Gleesons (across from Budget Travel) they also have a shop in the Roselawn Shopping Centre.

Other than that if I'm down seeing my mother in Tipp I go to a local butcher who has his own abbatoir and who's meat is second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

it really depends on the type of steak but heres tescos price list:

Irish Angus Round Steak€12.99/KGkgsbtnminus.gifbtnplus.gif
    btnAddNote.gifspacer.gifIrish Angus Minute Steak€15.99/KGkgsbtnminus.gifbtnplus.gif
    btnAddNote.gifspacer.gifIrish Angus Sirloin Steak€22.79/KGkgsbtnminus.gifbtnplus.gif
    btnAddNote.gifspacer.gifIrish Angus Fillet Steak€39.49/KGkgs
    btnAddNote.gifspacer.gifIrish Angus Boneless Rib Steak€10.99/KG

Well say it to one of your local butchers, they should do you a good deal, far better than the likes of tescos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I get mine in FX Bucleys in town
    or from the superquinn butcher counter

Both had 50% of Serloin this week when i was there, so some good value to be had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

The best RibEye I have had for a long time was from ALDI , they have a range of Angus Beef , I think its aged for 20 days , the only problem is that they sell out fairly fast and I'm trying not to have it more than once a week , its €12 for 2 , had one yesterday with red onions and mushrooms and baby potatoes and i'm dreaming of next weeks one already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭deisemum

josh59 wrote: »

Other than that if I'm down seeing my mother in Tipp I go to a local butcher who has his own abbatoir and who's meat is second to none.

Have to agree with the above, James Whelan butchers supply excellent meat. He's been featured on Rick Stein's programme.

I've ordered online, usually one of the taster selections and have had the meat delivered 48 hours later. Delivery is free if spending over €100. I've called into the shop when passing through Clonmel but he's got such a selection it takes me a wee while to decide what I want.;)

Here's a link

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/ProductList.aspx?SubCatID=90&sub_selectionid=3&SCATID=8&selection=0

I like Superquinn's meat as well. Butchers are often cheaper than supermarkets and if you're a regular they'll often throw in something for free or give a bit extra. I think their meat is generally better than the other supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

I'll be looking for cheap enough steak so I can make some home made biltong...

Good thread.. I'll keep an eye out for it.

There's a great Butchers in Wexford Town... Quite big looking and famous around those parts.. I can't remember the name though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

lawlors in Rathgar, fantastic meat.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Have you tried the vacuum packed angus steaks in Aldi? I think they're quite nice. Less stringy then a lot of butcher ones I've had recently. Both the ribeye and sirloin were lovely. €12 for two nice nice ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

fallon & byrne sell good steaks...

+1 . Best steak to be found anywhere in Dublin. Not cheap though, around €5-6 for a decent sized sirloin. Well worth it though IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Ennis Butchers In Rialto. He Dry ages his own - fantastic place, good prices too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

I get my meat from Fresh near Northern Cross, Malahide Rd.

All the meats are fabulous and you can get some unusual meats like Kangaroo and Wild Boar! It only 10 minute walk from Tesco's in Clare Hall and is well worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

Blackjack wrote: »
    Ennis Butchers In Rialto. He Dry ages his own - fantastic place, good prices too.

Was just about to post this suggestion. Have yet to make it to the shop but my boss swears by it. Sends us photos whenever he gets a fillet off him:-)

really must get there this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

havana wrote: »
    Was just about to post this suggestion. Have yet to make it to the shop but my boss swears by it. Sends us photos whenever he gets a fillet off him:-)

really must get there this week

thirded, I've a lot of positive things about this place from a few people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 fulhamc

Superquinn Striplion is usually a banker for a good steak;)

Advertisement