Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuter towns to Limerick

Options
  • 14-01-2009 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

We are moving to the Limerick area in a few months and were wondering what are the best commuting towns/ villages into Limerick City to look at on the Limerick County side?

Any chance of getting a top 5 recommended towns considering commuting times/ quality of life/ general niceness of area or people and stuff like that?

much appreciated

I put a post on the Count Clare thread and someone said County Limerick is much nicer.

thanks

Niall9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

Depends where you want, and what your are looking for,

Annacotty out near the Dublin road side is on the edge of the city, but could still get a house in the country per se.

I really only know out east limerick, and Murroe & castleconnell are big commuter villages now. also newport (in co tipp) is very popular and only 20 mins from the city.

give some more details and i will help you narrow down locations better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niall9

well I suppose we want somewhere with a countryish feel to it but with good shops/ transport links and which is nice to live in/ nearby. friendly people like.

we dont have kids and probably wont for a year or two yet. so somewhere with a bit of life- young people and a good pub for a relaxing pint at the weekend.

we would probably rent for a few months then look to be a 2-3 bed house.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 EcoBrats

Newport would get my vote. Lovely village, short commute to the outskirts of the City (maybe 5 miles from Annacotty) and linked to a good road (N7 Dublin Road) which can take you to most parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I would second Newport as i would Kilalloe. I would also recommend Adare, excellent road network between it and Limerick, and 10-15 mins from the city. Traffic does get a bit hectic in the summer though, very touristy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Killaloe, is way too far out, mu uncle would say that! He wants to move back closer to Limerick as he has kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niall9

too far out? really?

Someone else has emailed me saying it take them 20 - 25 mins. I had a look on the internet- looks a lovely place and really good value on houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Castleconnell
    Great bar's, supermarket,butcher,
    2 national schools,local shop for the gossip,
    2 community centres,hotel with gym,
    €25 from town in a taxi at the Weekend.

Moved here a few years ago
    haven't regretted it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kevin7

Killaloe/Ballina are lovely towns and are are not too far out. About 20 minutes from the suburbs of Castletroy/Annacotty. Nice lakeside amenities with picturesque countryside. Property prices are expensive there though relative to the rest of the area

Castelconnell also a nice riverside town/village.

Newport is OK...not too mad about it.

Murroe was once a pretty small village, and now is a little larger with the additions of some housing estates. Possibly a bit quiet or too small for what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

It was me that responded to you about Killaloe / Ballina on the Clare thread - I am stalking you around the internet until you move to Killaloe :D

But seriously, it is not far out at all. 20-25mins into the city. The new road will also shorten that commute time once it opens, plus I was at the planning meeting for the Killaloe bypass a few weeks ago....if that goes ahead it will also mean you can get on to the new road from the Killaloe side very easily. House prices have dropped a lot out here, plus greedy developers are still building...madness. You can buy a 3 year old, 3 bed semi for around 260k out here at the moment....in fact I am trying to sell mine, going to be building hopefully very soon :cool: I think the bonus about killaloe / ballina is that because it is such a nice spot / tourist area...house prices will come back up out here fairly fast once the economy shows signs of recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Killaloe, is way too far out, mu uncle would say that! He wants to move back closer to Limerick as he has kids.
    5 or 6 miles is definitely not too far out. This guy is looking for a commuter town, not a Limerick suburb.

Patrickswell is also another idea, only 3 miles from Raheen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

for the West Limerick side....

try Newcastle West, 25 mins from limerick...large town with a lot going on. or on the smaller side Glen.....and both have rugby, GAA, footbal clubs for the kids. And Glen has the Shannon running beside it.

There are also a host of villages namly .....but not all... Castlemahon, Ardagh, Shannagolden, Ballingarry, Adare, Croom, Kilmeedy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

If your working on the south side of Limerick - around Dell/ the hospital you could try Kilmallock,

It has roads to Limerick via the main Cork road and also through Bruff. On the Bruff road as you get near to Limerick there are back roads that let you get into Raheen, Roxboro, in through Garryowen and onto thomond - basically the city centre without using the main routes.

Facilities
    2-3 Churches (depending on what time you want to go and if your willing to travel 3-4 miles to get there),
    Hurling and soccer clubs, rugby club in Bruff (6 miles away),
    Gym locally and in Charleville,
    3 supermarkets,
    Usual collection of pubs.
    Boys and girls primary schools
    1 mixed secondary - mix of convent and vocational school subjects.
    Boys only CBS and girls only convent secondary school in Charleville (6 miles away)
    Library.

Thats all I can think of for the moment, pm me if you want any more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

+1 for Castleconnell.

Has the commuter train and everything.
    Lovely in the summer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

new castle west is a fine town , great shopping, pubs, clubs but it can be very rough at night....

ballingarry is a nice small village 1 shop , 3 pubs , school,church and 20 mins to limerick...

also kilfinny is a nice village....if it is quite a sleepy village..1 pub, school and church ...some rental property in teh area and a few fab new houses on the market in kilfinny too

croom is a nice town too....getting a bit built up now too

athlacca is a lovely place to live too , again about 20 mins to the city , the village itself has a pub.maybe even 2...has a shop and is within 5 mins drive of croom village....also has school and church and there are a few properties in teh area for sale at the moment too!

kilmallock is a good town too...may be an option..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Hospital about 20mins out. Lovely town, grew up there and perfect commuting distance, one of the bigger towns in Limerick so has all the facilities.

When it doubt wiki...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital,_County_Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kierane

caherconlish is just 15 mins drive(off-peak) to town.loads of accomodation available to buy our rent.it's on a bus route.3 pubs,3 shops,petrol station,primary school,local community centre has everything from farmers market to adult dancing classes.

Advertisement