Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colic Baby

Options
  • 14-01-2009 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

any tips, advice, medicines please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Firstly, it will pass ....most children only get colic for a short period of time - weeks or a month or two. Sometimes you just have to ride it out, comfort the child as best as you can & wait for it to pass.

We found Infacol was useful with child No.1 who had colic for a few weeks.
    If bottle feeding, try not let baby suck in any air from the bottle particularly when the bottle is comeing to an end & sit them up after a feed to burp/wind them.

Breastfeeding helps with occurence of colic they say, both of mine were breastfeed - No. 1 had colic for a few weeks but No.2 didn't. I have read that some foods that mom is eating can pass through into the breastmilk & maybe cause colic. Ask you PHN about this or have a read here
    Overactive letdown for a breastfed baby (mentioned in the link above) is also something to be aware of if your baby is acting fussy during feeds.

See this thread also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055219155&highlight=colic

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

There's a number of medicines out there, Infacol, Dentinox, Gripe Water, Colief. We administer Infacol before each bottle, then gripe water in between bottles if she's in a bit of discomfort.

Now this is a great tip.............
    If all else fails try turning on a hoover or hairdryer in the vicinity of the baby. Believe of not the noise soothes the baby of the pain (well it did for us!)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭1daisy1

Hi JP liz

Im realy sorry to hear about your baby, firstly make sure it is colic and not reflux, are they (apologies do not know if it is boy or girl) vomiting post feeds? is it the same time each day, personally my first had colic,(breastfed) we used fennel water and infacol with limited effect, bathing at the difficult time (even 12 at night always helped) I then changed him to "comfort" and that worked. My second was initally diagnoised with colic but actually had reflux once we put her on SMA staydown we had a different baby, even settled her wind. Windy baby's get great comfort from lying on their tummys, of course only under supervision and not to sleep. I hope this helps, GOOD LUCK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Just wondering how long do you wind the child for and do they always burp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lola-ryan

my own son had severe colic he was 3 months premature and suffered badly. i used the drops in his bottle and it helped but i started giving him chamomile tea just a small amount is ok 2-3 times a day. use a new bag every time wit small amonts. its very calming and lets the wind pass easier. you know you can also buy lactose free baby formula. hope you find something that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 a1m1m1o1

My first daughter had bad colic after trying everything on the market we swapped her on to soya milk , it was a godsend she was like a different baby .
    Second daughter also had it really bad swapped her to soya helped but not as much as first one .

Have you tried colief drops ,good luck with your baby hope it doesnt last too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

kmick wrote: »
    Just wondering how long do you wind the child for and do they always burp?
    wind until it comes up and then wind some more. Infacol has a muscle relaxant property and will help aid burping but can only do so much (may find that formula comes up more easily so bring a cloth with you lol). When they have colic I would always wind them for 30/45 min. And yes there is always wind, if it doesnt come out one end it will the other

Advertisement