Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much To fit a Gas Boiler,

Options
  • 14-01-2009 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I have got a few quotes off couple of plumbers just wondering what should i be paying, I bought a house it has been replumed Now i am looking to get a Gas boiler fitted, Basicly i will supply the Gas boiler all i want is someone to Connect the Boiler, Connect pipes to Manafold, already gas running into the room where pipes and Boiler are what should the cost be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rossie08

Hi I work a lot in property maintenance and the most this would cost us is €200

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

The cheapest Price i got was 1150 which incl the Boiler to Be Cert, the rest were about 1200 without a Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

rossie08 wrote: »
    Hi I work a lot in property maintenance and the most this would cost us is €200

What planet was this on ?

I was kinda thinkin the same how much would you say it would cost?
    311 wrote: »
    What planet was this on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 rossie08

It wouldn't even cost me that with the plumber supplying the burner. Credibly it should take a good plumber 5 hours at most so 200 is even rich for the work as that would be the cost for most skilled tradespeople for a days work. Someone trying to seriously rip you off.

• Advertisement

It all depends on the time involved to be honest ,everyone charges differently aswell. I only use copper pipe on installations ,so it takes a little longer than throwing in qualpex.

If I was you I'd go with someone local if you can and thats registered with the board gais. Most of our work is local and for friends of friends etc , always works out best that way.

rossie08 wrote: »
    It wouldn't even cost me that with the plumber supplying the burner. Credibly it should take a good plumber 5 hours at most so 200 is even rich for the work as that would be the cost for most skilled tradespeople for a days work. Someone trying to seriously rip you off.

You sound like someone who works in a professional business , does your plumber live in a tent and eat beans all day ?

Yeah the cheapest local Reg Gas installer was 1150euro which i thought was very expensive for a days work and not supplying anything.

Yeah the cheapest local Reg Gas installer was 1150euro which i thought was very expensive for a days work and not supplying anything.

Without seeing whats involved ,it is really hard to say. Just by being there and seeing the easiest way of doing it ,could be a saving of a couple of hundred at least.
    (I'm not looking for work at the moment ,I've got pleurisy and I'm out for a while:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

The cheapest Price i got was 1150 which incl the Boiler to Be Cert, the rest were about 1200 without a Cert.

RIP OFF!!!

It should'nt take more than a few hours and certainly a day at most.
    €1200 for a days work?
    Nice pay in a recession

• Advertisement

We rang about 9 plumbers at the start of Dec, and NONE of them had time to come out and give a quote they were all to busy, and the 2 that came out the 1150 and the 1200 where people that did work for friends.Unfortunely my Budget doesnt go to 1150 to get a boiler fitted that why i said i would ask.

RIP OFF!!!

It should'nt take more than a few hours and certainly a day at most.
    €1200 for a days work?
    Nice pay in a recession

Vat on that is nearly €200 ,materials could be anything up to €300. Thats 700 euro left out of the 1200 and then whoever said it would take a day ?
    Tax and Paye get taken out after that for wages aswell ,we do live in an economy you know.

Well i would be paying cash the guy for 1150 said he couldnt do anything and the guy for 1200 took 100 off but have the get the cert ontop of that so that 1250.And as i said i would be supplying all materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am a plumber and that is seriously pricey, if you were given a room with the old boiler taken out and all necessary pipes brought into the room then it is 5 hours work if everthing was straightforward and went well, lets say maybe a hour to do the hole for the flue half hour to hang the boiler on the wall and the rest of the time connecting pipework and refilling the heating system and testing it.
    5 hours is doable if it went well .
    I replace boilers most weeks and it takes a full day if you need to drain the system and strip the old boiler first.

Well i would be paying cash the guy for 1150 said he couldnt do anything and the guy for 1200 took 100 off but have the get the cert ontop of that so that 1250.And as i said i would be supplying all materials.

Under normal circumstances ,we charge €65/hour excl.vat
    That covers us calling out for up to an hour.
    Some jobs take a few hours and thats the way it's calculated for us.

It's the process thats involved because it's a new installation that is adding to the price for you.
    No decent installer is going to want to leave you high and dry ,after the job is done. You are in a sense paying for a guarantee aswell

I am a plumber and that is seriously pricey, if you were given a room with the old boiler taken out and all necessary pipes brought into the room then it is 5 hours work if everthing was straightforward and went well, lets say maybe a hour to do the hole for the flue half hour to hang the boiler on the wall and the rest of the time connecting pipework and refilling the heating system and testing it.
    5 hours is doable if it went well .
    I replace boilers most weeks and it takes a full day if you need to drain the system and strip the old boiler first.

Yeah but we haven't seen the system though and don't know what the price is for.
    It could be work on all the manifolds ,connecting pipes in the attic aswell ,flushing out the system of residues ,wiring the system or time involved for adjusting zone valves and water.

There is no pipes to be connected in attic, also the wiring is being done by my elect.I no it seems that i dont know much but i know all the piping is ready to be piped into the boiler, wiring is really to be wired(even though elect is doing it) Piping is done all over the house only thing to finish it off is to connect the gas boiler.Does anyone know any Plumber in Cork they could have a look?

There is no pipes to be connected in attic, also the wiring is being done by my elect.I no it seems that i dont know much but i know all the piping is ready to be piped into the boiler, wiring is really to be wired(even though elect is doing it) Piping is done all over the house only thing to finish it off is to connect the gas boiler.Does anyone know any Plumber in Cork they could have a look?

Just trying to cover all bases for you ,at least you can make a better opinion on it from what we've said, I hope.

As a matter of interest ,what boiler did you go for ?

Havent actually got one yet, Its quite a small house so doesnt need to be that big. But Most were about 1k which is in a Builders Providers.Could you recommend one? Its about 1200Sq Ft house, with 5 Rads in total. And Elect Pump Ass Showers.

Worcester greenstar are a very good boiler ,never have any trouble with them. Have one heating the house at the moment ,works like a dream:)
    The parts in the boiler are all very good quality and it operates very effeciently.

• Advertisement

Can they be gone online or through a retailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

We put it Vokera boilers mostly they are very good avaiable from irish international in cork. they have good support too if there are any problems

As far as I know Heatmerchants are the only supplier of them in Ireland. Worcester have their own lads here in Ireland to look after warranty work though and you get a two year guarantee if the boiler literature is filled out by a registered gas installer.

Your guarantee on any new boiler is void ,if the system isn't treated with the proper chemicals. Make sure the system is comissioned properly ,manufactures have ways of testing the water and they know if it's been installed properly.
    I have a testing kit myself ,for making sure it's been done.

Ya was pricing them in OB and International, unfortunely its not the problem buying the boiler lol its getting it fitted.

We put it Vokera boilers mostly they are very good avaiable from irish international in cork. they have good support too if there are any problems

Yeah i will look into them thanks.
    311 wrote: »
    As far as I know Heatmerchants are the only supplier of them in Ireland. Worcester have their own lads here in Ireland to look after warranty work though and you get a two year guarantee if the boiler literature is filled out by a registered gas installer.

Your guarantee on any new boiler is void ,if the system isn't treated with the proper chemicals. Make sure the system is comissioned properly ,manufactures have ways of testing the water and they know if it's been installed properly.
    I have a testing kit myself ,for making sure it's been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hughey100

Well lad come the Summer, a new law comes into effect that only RGIs (reg gas installers) can do this work. To get a cert you have to pay legit. Otherwise you and installer will be leaving yourselves open to up to 15k fine and couple of year in prison. Sounds severe, but thats the crack.

I forgot to update this i managed to Find Someone who was Gas Reg to Fit the Boiler for 500 euro he was almost the price of a boiler cheaper than everyone else.

Advertisement