Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart Weight

• 14-01-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is asked a lot or is very stupid.

Say you don't play a lot but you want to play more so you decide to go and buy a set of darts.

How do you figure out what weight would suit you best?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ntlbell wrote: »
    Sorry if this is asked a lot or is very stupid.

Say you don't play a lot but you want to play more so you decide to go and buy a set of darts.

How do you figure out what weight would suit you best?

Best bet would be to go to a shop that lets you try out a few different sets before you buy them.

Maybe Brenfers let's you do this?

There is no way to tell which weight will suit you best until you try a few different ones because it's purely personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

ive been playing on and off for the last 10 years and still havent settled on a weight....i change up between a 26 gram and a 32 gram.....heavyweights.....its just a trial and error process for me and its mainly been error!!!! the old guy in brenfer darts is a very nice chap and also very helpful as regards what your lookin for and motivational to boot. the last thing he said to me was "the future of irish darts is in safe hands"!!!!! think i was about 15!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Best bet would be to go to a shop that lets you try out a few different sets before you buy them.

Maybe Brenfers let's you do this?

There is no way to tell which weight will suit you best until you try a few different ones because it's purely personal preference.

Thanks, I understand what you're saying but for example.

If you yourself went to try a new set I'm guessing you would be throwing in the shop trying to hit a few trebles etc and would choose the weight on the natural projectory (sp?) of your natural throw? so if it's dropping a lot you would pick a lighter dart etc

but for someone like me who hasn't really got a natural throw as I don't really play I'm not sure how I throw or what weight would stuit my nautral throw?

am i talking via my behind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

jossnjuice wrote: »
    ive been playing on and off for the last 10 years and still havent settled on a weight....i change up between a 26 gram and a 32 gram.....heavyweights.....its just a trial and error process for me and its mainly been error!!!! the old guy in brenfer darts is a very nice chap and also very helpful as regards what your lookin for and motivational to boot. the last thing he said to me was "the future of irish darts is in safe hands"!!!!! think i was about 15!

hehe yea I understand, It's just from a financial point of view I'm hoping to avoid as much error as possible ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

ntlbell wrote: »
    Thanks, I understand what you're saying but for example.

If you yourself went to try a new set I'm guessing you would be throwing in the shop trying to hit a few trebles etc and would choose the weight on the natural projectory (sp?) of your natural throw? so if it's dropping a lot you would pick a lighter dart etc

but for someone like me who hasn't really got a natural throw as I don't really play I'm not sure how I throw or what weight would stuit my nautral throw?

am i talking via my behind?

You could also try borrow a few sets from different people (if you know people who throw darts) and try to see what best suits you in regards to weight.

You then have to experiment with different sized shafts and flights to see how they feel. So it is more than just the weight that you are eventually going to need to concern yourself with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

if i was you i'd go into brenfers on capel st and have a feel of a few weights, he has a board in there and he'll let ya have a throw with the darts you're thinkin about until you decide...

Maybe throw a lightish dart (22g) and then a heavier one (32g) and see which feels better, and then you can find a happy medium...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Usually beginners use heavier darts(over 26grams) as they are more forgiving to pulling or snatching, most pros use 24Grams or less with some using 12. Weight's not the only thing, length of the barrell and type of grip, some prefer smooth surface, again for beginners grooves in the barrell help with grip and are more forgiving.

Advertisement