Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any want to Play Basketball Once or twice a Week?

Options
  • 14-01-2009 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi, Just wondering if anyone was interested in setting up a little basketball game once or twice a week in Galway. I haven't played since school but i think it would be a good way to get some much need exercise and get out of the house more. The great thing is it's not weather dependant and there are plenty of venues around the city which could be booked for such a gathering like NUI, The Aras in Salthill, St. Mary's or Renmore Hall.

I suppose we would need 10 people to get started. Hopefully 1 or 2 with a pretty good standard that can teach some drills etc. A fair mix of lads and girls would be good too! If things go well we could even start a team!

There has been a bit of interest by some posters in the past but i don't think anything came of it.
    eg. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055352860 and http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055222089

Let me know anyway
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Me and my friend would be interested but it would depend on which evening. In a rush now, but will pm you in next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Hi there BBall! One of those threads you referenced was mine and, funnily enough I was actually thinking of bumping it up again to see if there was any more interest :).

Nothing came of the original thread as we just didn't have the numbers of people :(. I agree that 10 is a minimum number to start with. I can bring 3 definites (including myself) and probably 2-3 more who'll come down if the time suits.

We all live in or around Galway city and have cars so we can offer lifts if needed to people depending on where we play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭8kvscdpglqnyr4

I'm on for it.

Have you seen this one of Bush bouncing a basketball:
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/468292/bush_basketball/:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

I'm already playing so won't join ye...

I can tell you that it's very hard to try to get a time slot anywhere in Galway, most places are fully booked. Try 091 755 464, it's the school right opposite Wellpark Shopping Center....

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

I would play either Wednesday, Friday or at weekends but I'm an absolute beginner.

Don't know if your just looking for people who already play.

neway let me know if your taking newbies I could prob
    get a couple more players

Cheers

- Elfman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭LambDave

I'd be interested bu have not played in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Thanks for yer responses everyone, I'd say we have around 7 or 8 so far. Once we get a good number we'll start to sort out times and venues.
    malice_ wrote: »
    I agree that 10 is a minimum number to start with. I can bring 3 definites (including myself) and probably 2-3 more who'll come down if the time suits.

We all live in or around Galway city and have cars so we can offer lifts if needed to people depending on where we play.

Thanks Malice, I forgot to say tell yer friends too. The lifts would be great as well. Cheers

Elfman wrote: »
    I would play either Wednesday, Friday or at weekends but I'm an absolute beginner.

Don't know if your just looking for people who already play.

neway let me know if your taking newbies I could prob
    get a couple more players

Cheers

- Elfman

Beginners are fine Elfman, as i said i haven't played in ages but hopefully if things go well we can get up to some kind of decent standard.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm already playing so won't join ye...

I can tell you that it's very hard to try to get a time slot anywhere in Galway, most places are fully booked. Try 091 755 464, it's the school right opposite Wellpark Shopping Center....

Thanks for the info dinneen, will defo try there it's good and central anyway. Also seeing as you're in the game already do you know of anyone with a fairly good standard that might be interested in helping us out? Once we get goin it would be good to have someone to teach a few drills and give us some pointers!
    I'm on for it.

Have you seen this one of Bush bouncing a basketball:
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/468292/bush_basketball/:pac:

Nice one, that's a classic alright. At least Obama's a bit better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3ROv_MsNs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daH0ltD20A0

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Hey OP I would be interested. Can you let me know if ye get a date and time and I'll see can I make it.

Cheers

Any progress with this?

Hi All,

I have called a few venues and am waiting to hear back regarding availability and prices. Once i get this we can pick times. Also some of them mentioned that we need public liability insurance to play. Anyone know anything about this?

Can the people interested please send me a private message with their email address so i can keep ye up to date with the situation that way.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi All,

I have called a few venues and am waiting to hear back regarding availability and prices. Once i get this we can pick times. Also some of them mentioned that we need public liability insurance to play. Anyone know anything about this?

Can the people interested please send me a private message with their email address so i can keep ye up to date with the situation that way.

Cheers
    Thanks for the update, I've sent you a pm. Regarding the public liability insurance, I would have thought that the cost of the insurance would have been factored into the cost of renting the location. I play 5 a side football in Drom and I'm pretty sure that is the case up there.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can verify :).

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Thanks for the update, I've sent you a pm. Regarding the public liability insurance, I would have thought that the cost of the insurance would have been factored into the cost of renting the location. I play 5 a side football in Drom and I'm pretty sure that is the case up there.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can verify :).

Hi. I'd be interested too by TBH it would depend on the time. I commute to Galway so if it wasn't too late I'd be up for it.

I agree about the insurance. When you go playing indoor soccer or the like, you don't need insurance.

Claregalway and Oranmore have good basketball clubs so there might be venues available there??

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭deargas

Do you know that there is already a social basketball hour in Renmore every monday night at 7pm.

I think it's officially the longest running hour in galway (same time same thing for 30 years) - there are even a few still playing who were there for the first game.

it's a walk up the court type game, nothing too strenuous. friendly and open to new comers. (As long as you don't start charging down the court dunking the ball for fun ;)

above that there's the titans basketball club (largest in the country with 450 members I think across all ages). They train and play mon-tue-thursday and sundays (depending on level of course).

It's good to see basketball getting a good mention in the local papers now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

I guess this is a non runner now or is there any update? thanks

I can't speak for the OP but I was having trouble organising dates with people :(. Typically with people working at different times it's very hard to find a time that suits everyone. I'm really only free on Tuesday evenings and I know that some of the guys who wanted to play work nights on that day and then you have people who won't play if others don't play. It's a headache!

Well I'm still trying to get it together but as dinneenp predicted it's almost impossible to get a time slot anywhere in Galway city. I've tried everywhere and got nothin! Let alone get a slot that would suit everyone!

Anyone any suggestions.

Well I'm still trying to get it together but as dinneenp predicted it's almost impossible to get a time slot anywhere in Galway city. I've tried everywhere and got nothin! Let alone get a slot that would suit everyone!

Anyone any suggestions.
    List out what places you have tried and I'll see if there are other places we can contact. I don't think you'll get a slot that will suit everyone, it's best to just try to suit the majority. The key is to get a core of 6-8 people to turn up regularly.

List out what places you have tried and I'll see if there are other places we can contact. I don't think you'll get a slot that will suit everyone, it's best to just try to suit the majority. The key is to get a core of 6-8 people to turn up regularly.

Ok,

St. Marys - Completely booked
    Renmore - Completely Booked
    NUIG - Daytime slots only
    GMIT - Daytime only
    Aras Salthill - Booked Out
    Galway Community College - 9-10 Tues, Weds free - Need Public Liability Insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

What about the Claddagh (Dominican) Hall? I know Tribes train there but I can't imagine it would be totally booked up all the time

NUIG - Daytime slots only
    GMIT - Daytime only
    What counts as a daytime slot? Sorry if that's a stupid question :).

Also, what about some of the schools like St. Pats, the Jes or the Bish. Are they open to the public in the evenings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

Anything happening with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 blukee

I'm interested. Can you let me know if ye get a date and time and I'll see can I make it.

Cheers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Also, what about some of the schools like St. Pats, the Jes or the Bish. Are they open to the public in the evenings?

Problem with School gyms is they would be much too small for a fullcourt Basketball game.

You could try the Westside gym?

Sea Devils wrote: »
    Problem with School gyms is they would be much too small for a fullcourt Basketball game.

You could try the Westside gym?
    That's a fair point but I think initially anyway the main concern will be numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭skinnie

I'm up for playin if ye get a crowd!

I have created a basketball meet up group in google.
    http://groups.google.ie/group/galwaybasketball?hl=en
    I think this maybe a better place for organizing basketball games.:)
    Why not have a try. We can have a try and discuss something more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 midouri

hiya,
    I would be interested!! Please let me know when ya have a venue.
    cheers,

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

No-its for girls

midouri wrote: »
    hiya,
    I would be interested!! Please let me know when ya have a venue.
    cheers,

L

See. Everyone wants to get easily, but it won't work out in this way.
    why not try the google group.
    http://groups.google.com/group/galwaybasketball
    -post discuss "agree on time, court and number of player needed"
    -if get the request number of player, we go and have fun

I set up this group, I'm not familiar with Galway. I'm a foreign student. Any one interested in being the manager of "galway basketball meetup group" PM me please.

• Advertisement

Blukee I think we should keep discussion to this thread as otherwise it might be confusing. Maybe if things progress then a seperate group would be needed.

Looking at the people that have said they are interested we have:

Me + 1 (probably more)
    B'Ball Galway
    Kraggy + 1
    divil_a_bit
    Elfman
    LambDave
    Gun_Slinger
    RMDrive
    Blukee
    skinnie
    midouri

which is 13.

Would it be worth checking outside the city e.g. places like Barna or Oranmore or is that too far for people to travel?

Advertisement