Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenged Sevenfold

• 14-01-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

im writing this comment as a huge fan of avenged sevenfold and im also writing it in the knowledge that they are hated by alot of people and so i would like said people to explain as best they can what they dont like about them

all replies are appriciated even if u just wanna say they rock

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

There music, and to a lesser extent there image. The drummer, singer and rythem guitarist are all pretty dammed good musicians though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Just like above, hate the music and then image lesser extent-wise. alos really hate their attitude. They saunter around the stage thinking that they are all truly amazing players and a great band, but uh uh, its the opposite(bar Synyster Gates, think he's the only good one).

At Iron Maiden in PAris, they actually acted like they were great...by putting in absolutely no effort. And they wondered why the crowd started boo-ing them? Well, its cos they were god-awful muck, and Laurin Harris' band was better. And I watched them with the view to giving them a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I wouldn't say I hate them, I just don't like their music. It's just a very bland and mainstream sound.

Mushy wrote: »
    Just like above, hate the music and then image lesser extent-wise. alos really hate their attitude. They saunter around the stage thinking that they are all truly amazing players and a great band, but uh uh, its the opposite(bar Synyster Gates, think he's the only good one).

At Iron Maiden in PAris, they actually acted like they were great...by putting in absolutely no effort. And they wondered why the crowd started boo-ing them? Well, its cos they were god-awful muck, and Laurin Harris' band was better. And I watched them with the view to giving them a chance.
    Yea forgot to mention there look at me i am god attitude......theres showmanship and then theres being a knob.

Patricide wrote: »
    Yea forgot to mention there look at me i am god attitude......theres showmanship and then theres being a knob.

Exactly. Likes of Muse can get away with it, same as Metallica and many other bands, but these cant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

I don't like their attitude and music, but most importantly they offer nothing new to the music scene. What they have done has been done a million times and done a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

Exactly. Likes of Muse can get away with it, same as Metallica and many other bands, but these cant.

True, but muse and metallica have the decency to not do it.

When i saw a7x last year i thought they were quite good, although I don't particularly like the latest album.

Muse....attitude?

Hardly, Matt bellamy is afraid of the crowd and almost NEVER speaks during a gig. Theres a difference from being technicaly good than being pompous about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I wouldn't say I hate them, I just don't like their music. It's just a very bland and mainstream sound.

Exactly. It's music that will fade into the background and be forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Boring, overblown drivel. They try too hard to look 'hard' and metal. Too much effort put into image and very little put into the music. Terrible lyrics, terrible vocals. I dont like the music but I do recognise that the guitarist is pretty good, he is just in a **** band.

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote: »
    Muse....attitude?

Hardly, Matt bellamy is afraid of the crowd and almost NEVER speaks during a gig. Theres a difference from being technicaly good than being pompous about it.

He has it in the way he plays it, flying around all over the place. He doesn't speak to the crowd cos they came up through the ranks differently, and many early gigs were for uninterested people, so they played for themselves, and its continued to this day, even at their own massive shows. Sure A7X don't speak to the crowd either, and we're saying how pompous they are. These lads do it wrong, others so it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

I think they have serious potential. Most people say they're sound is bland, or clichéd'etc....but they have come up with some awesome melodies, harmonies, riffs, and music, in general. In particular I love the melodies the singer lays down

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

ok well so far i can understand parts of why people dislike them but what i ant understand is when people say there not good at their instruments. their guitarist "synister gates" could very well be thee best electric guitarist in the world at the minute and thats coming from a drummer. he has years of classical accoustic training and developed his own style. the drummer "the rev" is only rivald by the likes of joey jordison or dave grohl. AND if u listen to all tracks on the albums you will hear the lead vocalist "M Shadows" reach some outragious notes

ok well so far i can understand parts of why people dislike them but what i ant understand is when people say there not good at their instruments. their guitarist "synister gates" could very well be thee best electric guitarist in the world at the minute and thats coming from a drummer. he has years of classical accoustic training and developed his own style. the drummer "the rev" is only rivald by the likes of joey jordison or dave grohl. AND if u listen to all tracks on the albums you will hear the lead vocalist "M Shadows" reach some outragious notes

Guitar-wise, I'll stick with John Petrucci. Drumming-wise, I'll stick with:
    Mike Portnoy
    Neil Peart
    Jimmy Chamberlin

And thats only starting at the tip of the barrel.

Vocal-wise, give me Matt Bellamy any day of the millenium.*

*Dear God, I'm managing this to be a love-in of Muse from myself!!

look nobodys saying matt bellamy isnt amazing, muse probly my favoutite band but i feel like theres no point in arguing over who plays their instrument better because there is no way of us knowing which is why i didnt say there better than everyone else, im simply making the point that they are all amazing at what they do and shouldnt be ripped on over it because anybody who says they cant play is a tard

look nobodys saying matt bellamy isnt amazing, muse probly my favoutite band but i feel like theres no point in arguing over who plays their instrument better because there is no way of us knowing which is why i didnt say there better than everyone else, im simply making the point that they are all amazing at what they do and shouldnt be ripped on over it because anybody who says they cant play is a tard

Well then why start the thread? We said why we don't like them, I never said they couldn't play them, I just said I don't like their styles of playing. Sure we could be at this for every band on the planet, music is subjective.

no no dont get me wrong maybe u didnt sayu it but it was said and i appriciate most of the comments so far. i didnt no it was their image and their sound that caused people to dislike them so please dont think im bein pushy with this i accept opinions on what sounds good and bad, im just saying that their all technicly brilliant at what they do so like them or not its wrong to say they cant play

no no dont get me wrong maybe u didnt sayu it but it was said and i appriciate most of the comments so far. i didnt no it was their image and their sound that caused people to dislike them so please dont think im bein pushy with this i accept opinions on what sounds good and bad, im just saying that their all technicly brilliant at what they do so like them or not its wrong to say they cant play

Ah right. From your OP, I was of the opinion that you meant why don't we like them as a band, not in the way of why don't we like them as musicians.

well i meant in an over all sence because some people dislike them for superficial reasons like image or attitude and unfortunatly it puts them off anything to do with the band, where other people just dont like the sound but this is why i put up the blog, im here to take the chritasism or how ever u spell that word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

They can play their instruments well, I don't think anyone said otherwise. However, to make a claim that they are among the best musicians today is a bit extreme. There is a world of people who can play circles around them.
    One reason I don't like them is the attitude. I think you'd find it hard to find a band that looked as smug, in any genre.

• Advertisement

Ok Synester gates(or however you spell it) is good but is still nowhere up there with well known guitarists, never mind the unknowns from smaller bands who destroy the well known guys.

M shadows i must admit hits some insane notes, hes got a great voice, no denying that.

The Rev is also good but like gates, there are a load o drummers out there who are better than him technically, although his drumming syle i personally find excellent.

ok fair enough maybe im not in the proper possition to talk about synister because im not a guitarist but all i no is his solo in afterlife is the maddest iv ever heard, its not my favourite (stairway to heaven solo, obvious but screw it). i like what u said about Shadows. i also love ehat u said about the revs style being excellent because it just is but thats what i think makes him the best being a drummer myself. jordison is probly the most widley reviered drummer along with mike portony but i dont think technicly the best means the best but interpreting things in your own style which the rev has one of the most distinctive ans easy to pick out

ok fair enough maybe im not in the proper possition to talk about synister because im not a guitarist but all i no is his solo in afterlife is the maddest iv ever heard, its not my favourite (stairway to heaven solo, obvious but screw it). i like what u said about Shadows. i also love ehat u said about the revs style being excellent because it just is but thats what i think makes him the best being a drummer myself. jordison is probly the most widley reviered drummer along with mike portony but i dont think technicly the best means the best but interpreting things in your own style which the rev has one of the most distinctive ans easy to pick out
    Yea, style i think is more important myself, even if you hate em ya gotta give em props when there due.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to listen to more music.

Their drummer is only rivaled by Joey Jordison and Dave Grohl? Now, they're fairly capable drummers, but hardly great. The likes of Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart, Martin Lopez, Sean Reinert and Gene Hoglan blow them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

their guitarist "synister gates" could very well be thee best electric guitarist in the world at the minute and thats coming from a drummer
    *snigger*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I just don't like their music. It's just a very bland and mainstream sound.

Em Karl, your location would indicate otherwise.

Em Karl, your location would indicate otherwise.

Ah the uncultured youths of today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

My mistake.

I have never gotten around to watching that movie, i have meant to on many occasions.

My mistake.

I have never gotten around to watching that movie, i have meant to on many occasions.
    :O!!!!!!!, go now and watch......

• Advertisement

do u mean the bat country video or fear and lothing in los vegas

Advertisement