Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenged Sevenfold

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fear and Loathing clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭lurrrvs2sp00ge

its one of my favourite movies. up there with pulp fiction, clockwork orange and of coarse the first power rangers movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Reach outrageous notes?
    I'd say his vocal tracks are heavily altered so they sound good!

I didn't like their last album at all but city of evil was fairly decent with a few catchy riffs

I think the rev and synester gates are really good musicians and are wasted in that band. the bassist? could go back to working for mcdonalds and the other guitarist is a competent tool who will find some other band that'll take him on... reluctantly!

As for shadows... I'd say he'll probably (and hopefully) will fade away...

if you watch the making of the new album you hear Shadows in the recording room singing and its not altard at all. synister and the rev could be too good for the band but they work well together. everybody ripps on the bassist so i dont mind that part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to listen to more music.

Their drummer is only rivaled by Joey Jordison and Dave Grohl? Now, they're fairly capable drummers, but hardly great. The likes of Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart, Martin Lopez, Sean Reinert and Gene Hoglan blow them away.

*cough** Lombardo **cough***

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Degag wrote: »
    *cough** Lombardo **cough***

Derick Roddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Actually only fully listened to them for the first time the other day. I must admit, I quite enjoyed it. Except after the first 4/5 songs it gets a bit repetitive. (but sure bands I love are guilty of that too...shhhh :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'm a bit meh towards them...Have heard the mainstream stuff and it's never pushed me to buy an album or check out more. Vocally pretty good, the guitar over-endulgent solos annoy me (often don't fit in)...Maybe it's more I like the general feel of a song / a riff and then think the solo ruins it. Maybe that's just me.

Some good songs that I will often listen to but haven't invested anymore than that.

🤪

yeh the mainstream stuff they put out is usualy pretty catchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

thats all they are mainstream catchty ****e thats gonna sell to children.
    ill admit having heard them on kerrang of all places the guitarist seems good but there is no way you could say he's the best in the world at the mo or however you put it and ive also seen them live,there bolox,raped walk aswell so off to the beer tent during that. and as for drummers have you listened to fear factory at all,raymond herrera man,or as said before sean reinhart is phenominal.
    but back to the point ridiculous image of a band,they should just cease to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Derick Roddy.
    Thomas Lang
    George Kolias
    Flo Mournier
    Martin Lopez.

I like A7x. They work well together. And their music's only getting better, IMO

Chaosangel wrote: »

I'm not a fan of the band but I absolutely hate this attitude. To any kind of music. It's rubbish like the above that adds to the elitist drivel where 'mainstream' music or any tune that gets a lot of radio play suddenly becomes 'uncool'. If you don't like the music, don't listen to it. Questioning the maturity of a particular band's supporters is quite a juvenile way of thinking about music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

ill admit having heard them on kerrang of all places the guitarist seems good but there is no way you could say he's the best in the world at the mo or however you put it and ive also seen them live,there bolox,raped walk aswell so off to the beer tent during that. and as for drummers have you listened to fear factory at all,raymond herrera man,or as said before sean reinhart is phenominal.
    but back to the point ridiculous image of a band,they should just cease to exist.
    Jesus, do you proofread your posts before submitting them?

Anyway, I certainly wouldn't be the biggest Avenged Sevenfold fan but I reckon they're worth a listen. I saw them at Download 2006 and I thought they were pretty entertaining. There's far, far worse music out there that people could be listening to :).

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the band but I absolutely hate this attitude. To any kind of music. It's rubbish like the above that adds to the elitist drivel where 'mainstream' music or any tune that gets a lot of radio play suddenly becomes 'uncool'. If you don't like the music, don't listen to it. Questioning the maturity of a particular band's supporters is quite a juvenile way of thinking about music.

am I not open to an opinion,I admit I might be a bit blunt in what I think but none the less its my opinion on the band which is what this thraed is about. I didnt say there **** because they get a lot of radio airplay I said I dont like them,and I stated why,they didnt appeal to me on what I heard them through kerrang and saw them live and they just pranced around,couldnt play walk which to be honest any guitarist could play hands down,and im not questioning the the age of the bands supporters,I know,I was at there gig.

and in reply to Malice yes I do proof read all my posts.
    and I also saw them at download 06 as did alot of people I know and we all agree they were crap,so we all went to the beer tent,even you must admit there cover of walk was dyre?..

and in reply to Malice yes I do proof read all my posts.
    and I also saw them at download 06 as did alot of people I know and we all agree they were crap,so we all went to the beer tent,even you must admit there cover of walk was dyre?..
    Well if you do proofread your posts could you concentrate on fixing at least some of the typos and adding in an acceptable amount of punctuation so that your post becomes readable rather than a mush of sentences all running into each other?

For what it's worth, I don't recall their cover of Walk being bad but then I'm not a Pantera zealot who regards their songs as sacrosanct. Given your previous post on this thread I'd say you'd have hated it even if they'd nailed every note perfectly :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Would anybody care to count the number of times they show the drummer roll the stick between his fingers?! :rolleyes:

This video is a study in the stuck up attitude of the band (or more specifically, the drummer and Gates).

Gates has some great chops, but the problem is he knows it and it's all over his face! It makes is hard to like him, and fair or not, that impacts on my feelings on their music. I like Afterlife for the record, mainly because of Rock Band it has to be said, it's fun as hell to drum and the solo is pain!

To get back to a previous post extolling their talent, I know it's been covered, but the drummer is nothing great. Search for "Panic Attack Mike Portnoy" on youtube and bask in the glory.

look anyblody can just metion a good drummers name, infact that been done quite alot in this thread but it doesnt make the rev a bad drummer. he's an amazing drummer with a very creative style with a technical backround so like him or not, you cant say he's not good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 vantasic

i like the attitude, makes me hate them and that could be what they're going for?? i dunno. really like the music though(new album a bit less then rest) and thats all i care aboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

If you've seen them live, you'll know that the rev does actually do a lot of stick tricks. And I looks cool. Better than some drummers look while playing.
    And I doubt the band has much choice how many times they get seen in the vids. Thats what directors/producers do.

Exactly.....thank you

• Advertisement

malice_ wrote: »
    Well if you do proofread your posts could you concentrate on fixing at least some of the typos and adding in an acceptable amount of punctuation so that your post becomes readable rather than a mush of sentences all running into each other?

For what it's worth, I don't recall their cover of Walk being bad but then I'm not a Pantera zealot who regards their songs as sacrosanct. Given your previous post on this thread I'd say you'd have hated it even if they'd nailed every note perfectly :).

sorry I apologise if I misspelt a word or two,only human. and I dont see anything wrong with my sentences,im typing as I would talk,everyone else can read it so dont know what you problem is. and onto pantera,they are a good band but I dont praise them like alot of people with there RIP Dimebag,he's a great guitarist and anselmo im fond of his singing but by no means do I worship them as you seem to think,and no my reason for commenting on them playin walk is because they did it very badly,just stating my opinion on there effort of the song,chillax oul son if you cant take what im saying then dont reply

am I not open to an opinion,I admit I might be a bit blunt in what I think but none the less its my opinion on the band which is what this thraed is about. I didnt say there **** because they get a lot of radio airplay I said I dont like them,and I stated why,they didnt appeal to me on what I heard them through kerrang and saw them live and they just pranced around,couldnt play walk which to be honest any guitarist could play hands down,and im not questioning the the age of the bands supporters,I know,I was at there gig.

In response to your first question (I think), yes, of course you're entitled to your opinion. You do not have to like the band. As I said already, I'm not particularily a fan of theirs either but you don't see me referring to the band's supporters as ''children''.

You may not have liked them live, that's fine. Your opinion, again you're entitled to it but your post had a snippet of elitism about it. By insinuating that the music is ''sh*te that sells to children'', you've implied that the followers of this particular band are in some way inferior to the supporters of bands you may follow. So, yeah, you kinda did question the maturity of the fans!

Otherwise, why not say that, in your opinion, their music is sh*te that sells to people with bad taste in music? Rather than implying that a person's maturity makes a blind bit of a difference in the first place?! Don't get me wrong, I agree somewhat with you, in that I don't think they're amazing, I'm indifferent to them really, I just took issue with the first comment made by you where the band's supporters were discussed, which, to be honest, is totally irrelevant to how good or bad a band sounds. *in my opinion* :)

LD 50 wrote: »
    If you've seen them live, you'll know that the rev does actually do a lot of stick tricks. And I looks cool. Better than some drummers look while playing.
    And I doubt the band has much choice how many times they get seen in the vids. Thats what directors/producers do.

I have seen them live, thought they did a pretty good version of Walk I gotta say! That doesn't change my opinion of the drummer one bit. lurrrvs2sp00ge... I never said he was a bad drummer, learn to read. What I said, or implied perhaps, was that he is nowhere near as good as you think he is! Also, as previously stated, Gates has some great chops, but he looks like a git! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

That video is embarrassing.

I like your mans solos however.

sorry I apologise if I misspelt a word or two,only human. and I dont see anything wrong with my sentences,im typing as I would talk,everyone else can read it so dont know what you problem is.
    Well, that's me told then isn't it? Since you don't seem to know the difference between writing and talking and if you honestly don't see anything wrong with your sentences I'm just going to leave it there.

lurrrvs2sp00ge... I never said he was a bad drummer, learn to read. What I said, or implied perhaps, was that he is nowhere near as good as you think he is!:p

i no what u meant and im saying who are u to say he's nowhere as good as i think he is. i said i liked him because he has a very creative style with a good flow and i know for a fact he is technicly birilliant, just because u compare him to other drummers who happen to do some amazing stuff, it doesnt make him any worse

im saying who are u to say he's nowhere as good as i think he is.

I'm just a guy who sees the following statement:
    the drummer "the rev" is only rivald by the likes of joey jordison or dave grohl.
    and thinks wtf...

1. You think he's only rivalled by those guys. Which implies that Mike Portnoy/Neil Peart don't rival him.

2. They do

3. Since he is rivalled (significantly bettered in my opinion) by Portnoy et al, he is nowhere near as good as you think. Or you've never heard Dream Theatre/Rush... Pick one and get listening.

i just used those as an example, and i no exactly who dream theatre and rush are im not an idiot. and dont get so defenceive about them, this thread isnt about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

No offense to Mr. Grohl but i don't think its really fair to mention him. He's a good rock drummer, i'm not sure about a metal drummer though.

• Advertisement

i guess so, but still if your not talking about metal he's way up there

Advertisement